Gold Member
Gold Member

how good was shane williams?

Post by burly bill mclaren »

watched the game back last

it was a cracker of a game
tigers tore the os to shreds at times
maybe the odd half lucky break

second half was a combination of ospreys getitng some momentum and stopping the absurd marshall as sweeper plan

tigers did switch off etc but always gonna win

but the little man it has to be said against a mighty tigers was awesome. he is a feisty little fella too. made several tackles on tigers monsters. he danced bounced off several half tackles and jjust created havoc all day.

I recall he scored 5 tries in a lions game and was picked for 3rd test but didnt get much ball and didnt do much. he seems to be more durable these days and rarely ever loses possession. But in space whatever the merits of al ittle man he is simply a joy to watch and a nightmare to man mark
H E RICHARDS
Turkish
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Turkish »

In broken play, the mans the best in the world. From a standing start, he's up to full speed in 2 or 3 steps.

1 of his tries he should have passed, and was guilty of the same selfishness that he was when Wales played England. But he showed his skill.

Trouble is the type of game he loves comes along what once in every 3 matches? So the other 2 he's just so neglected its untrue.
SCARLETS
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

I think he should have been "Tuilangied"!!!!! :roll: :lol:
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

The guy is sheer class.

His pace from a standing start is unbelievable

A Gerald Davies for the 21st century & proof that small guys still have a place in international rugby.

He's also my mums favourite player as well and he comes from the same neck of the woods as Bleddyn Jones.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

He's a tricky little devil and no mistake - especially with the sun on his back

- how was he is the winter in 6 inches of good old welsh mud?

The other thing is he didn't look so clever versus the All blacks playing for the Lions or would you say he has improved (especially defensively) since then?
Turkish
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Turkish »

Caerlyr Osprey wrote: he comes from the same neck of the woods as Bleddyn Jones.
Yep, the Scarlets region.

God knows how we let him slip through our net.
SCARLETS
burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by burly bill mclaren »

He has got better and better and no doubt has tightened up his game too

I just think woodward had a mare on that tour and had no idea how to utilise the talents of shane williams. by the 3rd test it was over shane has zero possession and was just left tackling the likes of rocokoko all day. clive would never have picked such a mercurial player ordinarily. even world class robinson was occasionally in and out of england side.

though robbo was slightly different to shane. robbo is a bullet and strong, but dodgy defender, shane is a dancer a sidestepper with an instinct for space. both world class who can win matches alone. robbo turned the world cup game with wales around with 1 such moment after shane had earlier cretaed a wonder try for stephen jones. both players have similar test records

check hshanes test record 29 tries in 44 tests
hes scored tries against the all blacks, australia (match winning try last year) england a few times, scotland, ireland , france. he causes everyone problems especially when in space, yes even the AB's.
H E RICHARDS
Angelo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Angelo »

I've got only one word for him...BRAVO.

and...i like my new bronze big cat! :mr.green:
exiledandy

Post by exiledandy »

thank god he isn't so young...
Turkish
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Turkish »

exiledandy wrote:thank god he isn't so young...
plenty more where he came from:

Jimmy Norris
Darren Daniel
Tom James
Nathan Brew
Jamie Roberts
Alec Jenkins

all three quarters to look out for in the future.
SCARLETS
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

he's an average little tick who very occasionally has a good game. The only reason he shone on Sunday was because the Turkeys, having been well and truly stuffed in the first half, had to just throw the ball around and it happened to pay off somewhat. :lol:
Turkish
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Turkish »

salcombe bob wrote:he's an average little tick who very occasionally has a good game. The only reason he shone on Sunday was because the Turkeys, having been well and truly stuffed in the first half, had to just throw the ball around and it happened to pay off somewhat. :lol:
You can do better than that.

That didn't even make me flich. 1 out of 10 for wind-upping. Must try harder.
SCARLETS
ginge

Post by ginge »

:o) You have to ask why the Ospreys backs didnt cut loose in the first half, I know the pack wasnt winning a lot of ball but their backs were supposed to like broken/open play
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I remain unconvinced. He COULD have buried England this year by giving passes instaed of running round like a headless chuck and hanging onto the ball, going for glory and trying to score himself. He was in danger of pulling a similar stunt against Leicester for his first try. Llanelli won't be as gentle with us come Saturday. Their backs have the knack of speedy running and giving the killer pass selflessley and ruthlessly. If you're not convinced watch the Toulouse videos.....home and away.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

admittedly against England he wasted 3, 4 or even 5 good chances by not passing. But consider this he still made more breaks than the entire English backline combined.

England didn't create that many chances to throw away.

And I know from experience when a player like that is cutiing you open so easily, even when the chances go begging its playing on your mind and when you start loosing a bit of confidence thats when the mistakes come.

Personnely I love watching the bloke play. Wish he'd come to Tigers.