Josh Lewsey in an England shirt?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westy154
Super User
Super User

Josh Lewsey in an England shirt?

Post by westy154 »

Not many players covered themselves in glory last Saturday, preferring instead to wallow in mediocrity, but Josh Lewsey I thought actually played badly. NOt made to look bad like so many of the team, just actual bad.

I'm a big fan of Josh Lewsey, but he was anonymous in the wins against Scotland and Italy, and compounded with Saturday, I believe he should be dropped to the bench at the least.

I doubt this will happen as he has a Wolrd Cup Winners medal, but I would be interested in hearing everyone else's opinion on the matter. Yes, even yours, you at the back.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

ye could do a lot worse than lewsey on yer team !
Shedman is gone. Shedman is gone
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Lewsey is historically a fantastic player, but recently a shadow of his former self.

I know alot of people advocate him playing as a 14, but I think he should always be at Full Back.

If he makes one try saving tackle a game he saves you 7 points. He also joins the attacking line better from fullback than wing.

Having said all that, the whole makeup of the back 3 is wrong at the moment. I know its only 3 games into Ashton's reign, but I cannot understand what he is trying to achieve with the selections he has made.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Shedman, I agree, you could do a lot worse than having Lewsey in your team, and Adam, I would to oprefer to see him playing at 15. But going on recent form, does he deserve to keep him place in the England Team? My answer is No he does not, and he should not be given second (third, fourth) chances purely because of his historical performances.

When his club form, or performances off the bench warrent a recall, I'll welcome him back with open arms.
John
---
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

i remeber thinking lewsey was totally anonymous when saints beat wasps just before xmas, and i think he has been below his best for a little while now.

as others say though, form is temporary and class is permanent. lewsey is class and i imagine will be back to his best at some point.
Ollie smith rules
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ollie smith rules »

All of the backs apart from Hazza and probably Jonny don't really seem to be that good.
:-) TIGERS rock especially Ollie, CRANE, Moody, Crofty, and Matt C :-)
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I thought Strettle acquitted himself pretty well.
John
---
bigstef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bigstef »

I agree but he is probably the most defensively sound player in the world
Mid Lander

Post by Mid Lander »

westy, Im glad I'm no the only one who is hugely dissapointed by Lewsy.

I think he should be dropped or sent from wing to FB for Strettle to come in, who actually looked like he wanted to play. At times I don't think JL actually cared. He was more bothered about swapping shirts at the end of the game.

He has the body to cause some damage but for whatever reason it is happening. If Ashton is true to picking on form he'd drop him. Robbo should be back and possibly Cueto? (I still wanna know what has happened to TV!)
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Lewsey has had a fairly poor 6 Nations, and does look out of sorts. I don't think he is a natural winger, and despite him being the best tackler in the backs his average kicking and odd decision making are making him less and less a 15.

He is out of form, possibly because of him being picked at a variety of positions for both club and country. Ashton won't do it, but more and more I think his best position is 13.

All said and done, we have so few quality backs at the moment that I doubt very much he would be dropped.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Put Josh Lewsey on the end of the All Blacks line, and he would be seen for what he is - one of the best backs in world rugby - put him on the end of slow ball that has been shipped on from "tortoise" Farrell then he gets the ball on the back foot and can't do anything...I don't care if you Joe Rocko-flippin-coko...with ball like that you have no chance !

I have to put my hands up, Wales lost to the French on Saturday, but, in defeat, at least they can say that they played some decent rugby, played the game the right way and scored some decent tries. OK, they still lost, but they have something to take forward. What do England have ? Even with quick ball, it went from Ellis to Wilkinson....to Farrell...to ground..slow ball...and back 5 metres (repeat ad infinitum). All I ask is that we have a go, if we lose and play well, then I would be happier than if, as happened Saturday, we lose and are rudderless.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I was impressed by stretle when he got the ball.

Not just for his try, but i think a had the best game of anybody on the england side that day.

Tait wasnt to bad either.

I say put Lewsey on the bench or 15. And have stretle and robbo on the wings.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

I think you have to be realistic with Josh Lewsey.
he is a 30 year old winger. he has been a terrific, and in spells, a world class player for wasps and england and has won every honour the game has to offer at XVs, aswell as being an outstanding sevens player.

But he is entering the twilight of his career. It is a certainty that he will retire from international rugby after the world cup in the autumn.

I think he is a hugely popular guy with most english rugby supporters, but the reality is that maybe he hasnt quite got the speed or performance level of previous years. If you watch a replay of his performance in the six nations prior the world cup 2003 there is a considerable difference.
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

I agree Lewsey is well off form at the moment.

Sad to say he was the first name on my Fantasy Six Nations team sheet, but has not shown up for any of the three matches so far.

I say Robinson is the better full-back between the two of them.

I would prefer to see Tom Voyce as a replacement winger, he is a natural try scorer and game breaker.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Tigerbob wrote:I would prefer to see Tom Voyce as a replacement winger, he is a natural try scorer and game breaker.
I think that Voyce is an outstanding club player but is clearly short of international class.

Anyone else concerned at the lack of real quality options at 15 ? Who are the best regular(ish) FBs in the GP ?
G Murphy - Irish
M Burke - ineligible

I can't think of an English qualified player close to these guys (Robinson remains, IMO, a much better winger than FB).