Why visiting teams lose at Thomond!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

cookies
Tiger Cub

Post by cookies »

This is ridiculous never thought I would be reading a rugby forum where the depth of silence was discussed. Silence is silence although apparently it can be Golden. The reason Munster win games at TP is the same reason they win games away from TP they have a good team. The atmosphere is special but it would be facetious to presume that nowhere else can match it and it will intimidate players. There are players in the Leicester team who have won the world cup for gods sake. Lately the silence for kicks isn't that well observed. The atmosphere is nothing like it used to be as the corporate and GAA fans have got on board. Munster fans who wax lyrical about Thomond Park and Munster and the atmosphere and all that also need to face the harsh reality that the average Celtic league attendance is 5000 and you really only get the intense crazy atmosphere when an English team comes to town or in the knock out stages. To say Munster don't take the Celtic League seriously is wrong but due to the set up in Ireland and the national teams demands they have to field weakened teams a lot of the time.
So to slag off a club like Leicester who get a big crowd and great atmosphere every second week is a bit rich. the day Munster have full houses and a good atmosphere for every game in ML and HEC then we can crow.
In saying that Saturday will be brilliant and really special with a great atmosphere but we don't have the monopoly on passion. I don't know the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let’s reconvene here next week. Then the Leicester fans can advise if the silence is indeed of a higher standard in TP.Also if their players were rattled . They maybe gloating you never know.
On the fields off Athenry. I am not a fan. I do know where it is. It was never ever sung at Munster matches. nothing was sung at Munster matches just a wall of noise for 80 minutes(Ahh the good old days when rugby was 80 minutes). It crept in when Munster got fashionable and the corporate and fair-weather crowd got involved and their only rugby reference was Irish internationals where that was sung and they brought that vile tune with them. Now Stand up and fight that is a great song loving that one.
Nearly there nearly there bring it on
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

(Ahh the good old days when rugby was 80 minutes)
Well it was only 80 minutes against Cardiff!
And Tigers are back to the good old days already. They are playing just as they were five years ago, if not better. That's why they will win on Saturday! :lol:
cookies
Tiger Cub

Post by cookies »

We will see Pete not long to wait now. If Ellis performs and keeps the cool you may be right. It will be tight either way but with Joel in the middle we could be there for a while.
Still think Munster to win narrowly though.
outwide

Post by outwide »

cookies wrote:This is ridiculous never thought I would be reading a rugby forum where the depth of silence was discussed. Silence is silence although apparently it can be Golden. The reason Munster win games at TP is the same reason they win games away from TP they have a good team. The atmosphere is special but it would be facetious to presume that nowhere else can match it and it will intimidate players. There are players in the Leicester team who have won the world cup for gods sake. Lately the silence for kicks isn't that well observed. The atmosphere is nothing like it used to be as the corporate and GAA fans have got on board. Munster fans who wax lyrical about Thomond Park and Munster and the atmosphere and all that also need to face the harsh reality that the average Celtic league attendance is 5000 and you really only get the intense crazy atmosphere when an English team comes to town or in the knock out stages. To say Munster don't take the Celtic League seriously is wrong but due to the set up in Ireland and the national teams demands they have to field weakened teams a lot of the time.
So to slag off a club like Leicester who get a big crowd and great atmosphere every second week is a bit rich. the day Munster have full houses and a good atmosphere for every game in ML and HEC then we can crow.
In saying that Saturday will be brilliant and really special with a great atmosphere but we don't have the monopoly on passion. I don't know the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let’s reconvene here next week. Then the Leicester fans can advise if the silence is indeed of a higher standard in TP.Also if their players were rattled . They maybe gloating you never know.
On the fields off Athenry. I am not a fan. I do know where it is. It was never ever sung at Munster matches. nothing was sung at Munster matches just a wall of noise for 80 minutes(Ahh the good old days when rugby was 80 minutes). It crept in when Munster got fashionable and the corporate and fair-weather crowd got involved and their only rugby reference was Irish internationals where that was sung and they brought that vile tune with them. Now Stand up and fight that is a great song loving that one.
Nearly there nearly there bring it on

What a load of dribble Cookies :x
Neil Back you are now forgiven...................
Sodacake

Post by Sodacake »

Lansdowne RFC wrote:Molly Malone has been around longer than the Fields of Galway, and was ALWAYS the Ireland rugby song until the ham sandwich brigade boycotted the international matches with a song about a field.

Since when has Stabbed Up & Fight been your real song?

I'm glad you recognise where Athenry is. Obviously didn't come through the Munster schools system.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Meath, that traditional rugby stronghold,eh?
I feel deprived that I didn't get that private schooling at Clongowes or Blackrock College.........
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Why visiting teams lose at Thomond!!!

Post by kevf »

outwide wrote:
kevf wrote:
outwide wrote: 5.The kicker will never have experienced the silence afforded to him when he is kicking.(ask Charlie Hodgson)
not been to welford then.... every kicker gets respect and silence ask any of your guys who were over for the gaame....

irrelevant of who he is
Kevf I was at WR for the Munster game.Believe me when I tell you its not the same. :shock: :shock:
ah so we have different silence in ireland then... theres me thinking silence was a lack of noise where ever you went.... fancy ireland being different..
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
outwide

Post by outwide »

kevf wrote:
outwide wrote:
kevf wrote: not been to welford then.... every kicker gets respect and silence ask any of your guys who were over for the gaame....

irrelevant of who he is
Kevf I was at WR for the Munster game.Believe me when I tell you its not the same. :shock: :shock:
ah so we have different silence in ireland then... theres me thinking silence was a lack of noise where ever you went.... fancy ireland being different..
Are you going to the game?
If you are you will know what I mean on Saturday.
I presume that is not another jibe about Ireland :?: :( Thought we had moved on from that over the years
Neil Back you are now forgiven...................
The Countess of Welford
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by The Countess of Welford »

C'mon guys, get a life and move on............. :roll:
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

outwide wrote:
kevf wrote:
outwide wrote: Kevf I was at WR for the Munster game.Believe me when I tell you its not the same. :shock: :shock:
Are you going to the game?
If you are you will know what I mean on Saturday.
I presume that is not another jibe about Ireland :?: :( Thought we had moved on from that over the years
no jibe about ireland... quite like the place have been there several time mostly nice people good food and guiness..... just thought silence was silence didn't know there was different types... doubt it will effect the kickers at all either way..... to think of it never heard jibes about ireland and silence before.... you definately have the advantage but the reaon teams loose at TP is purely because of that.. its nothing magical or mysterious you have the support which encourages the team.. and in some cases it chnages the visiting teams confidence simmilar to teams coming to WR....

sorry countess i am but a simple IT guy i didn't realise there was different types of silence and was merely asking a question i will refrain in future from trying to further my knowledge
Sodacake

Post by Sodacake »

Sure we bottle the silence and sell to American tourists...
Cuinas- the essence of silence-
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

good idea sodacake

are you from thomondgate by the way ?
Shedman is gone. Shedman is gone
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

outwide...as stated previously, I went to TP last year for the Sale game. Good atmosphere, but no better or worse than Welford Road in my opinion, even without Tigers glasses on ! The whole "fortress" thing really annoys me...shouldn't every team in the world who are well supported have a decent home record ?
Sodacake

Post by Sodacake »

Shedman wrote:good idea sodacake

are you from thomondgate by the way ?
Originally..what with upward mobility and all that..
I'm now just a man of the world :D
Lansdowne RFC
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lansdowne RFC »

Meath, that traditional rugby stronghold,eh?
I feel deprived that I didn't get that private schooling at Clongowes or Blackrock College.........
^ Ah, actually Sodacake, as Orla, the rather hardcore Munster typing individual on this messageboard will back-up, I did actually attend one of those private rugby schools in Dublin. Both it wasn't either of the 2 you mentioned. Close, but no cigar.

PS, the man who won Ireland the Triple Crown is a fine Meath man! :lol:

WESTWINDS31, the whole Fortress thing is not really proclaimed by fans, because they know the record can go at any stage and you kind of have to be careful. "Fortress" is a media driven sensation, and Sky Sports are one of those responsible for the constant reference to that term. Remember the whole Twickenham Fortress spiel? Now they tell us it's as convincing as a sand castle. Personally think Munster's is slightly tainted by their Magners record there, and they can't say they don't care much about the league, because a full strenght Munster side was beaten by Ulster there last season
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

Sodacake wrote:Sure we bottle the silence and sell to American tourists...
Cuinas- the essence of silence-
i'll buy some of that.... what does it sound like then :?