Good pubs in London?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerTimmy

Good pubs in London?

Post by TigerTimmy »

Does anyone know of any good pubs in london which will be showing the game on Saturday?
www.myspace.com/polarbeauty (Random electronic doodlings)
Munster Exile
Tiger Cub

Post by Munster Exile »

Chester Arms, 87 Albany St, London NW1 4BT

This is a good pub which will be showing the rugby, you'll probably have a few munster fans in there to have the craic with too. (unless they somehow all managed to get tickets)
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

The Porterhouse, in Covent Garden.

http://www.restaurant-guide.com/details ... 7&cuiID=31

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/coventgarden.html

Great beer, big screens, always showing sport on TV, (especially rugby) and will probably be packed with Munster fans wathcing the game!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Good pub that Dave, been there myself. That said I was aghast at paying over a tenner for three pints!!
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

didn't think there was any decent pubs down south...well not selling any decent beer apart from shandy....

duck and weave.... :lol: :lol:
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

I'm from Derbyshire, but am at uni in London, and kevf, there are certainly are less good pubs in London. I'm sure real Southerners will protest, especially the ciderheads from the West Country regarding thwe whole of the South, but London has very few legs to stand on....This is mainly down to the fact that most pubs are chains - there are the same pubs 100 times over in London. there are a few that particuarily wind me up, but I will not mention names!

The Porter House is one of the better places to go, purely because it offers a huge huge range of beers, over 100 from all over the world, it also does live music, but its very hard to see it as a pub - i don't really know what you'd call it, but pub just seems wrong. Would probably be a quality bet for the rugby though, plenty of people, big atmoshpere....probably big hole in wallet too!

The other problem with saying 'in London' is that it is huge - is there any particular part of London you're thinking of TigerTimmy or you just gunning for central?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

Just while i remember, if you are going central, and want some proper banter with the paddys (or you are a paddy), then Waxy O Connors is as safe a bet as you'll ever get i'd of thought!

http://www.waxyoconnors.co.uk/london/index.asp
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

fun though aint it... bit like cockney geezers maoning about anything norf of the watford gap... most deon't even know where the watford gap is.. :lol: :lol:

please don't take offense this is not perosnal... just me being mischevious

personally from yorkshire living outside brum for th lats 6 years after having spent 16 yearstravelling the globe courtesy of her majesty..

I find london pubs (generally) have no character... like going into a wetherspoons everytime... i am sure there is some local boozers with some good character and some decent beer...
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
TigerTimmy

Post by TigerTimmy »

London is far too big, which makes finding a decent pub very difficult if you dont know where to look. Am looking for somewhere fairly central as I'm coming from Woking (South West of London) and meeting a mate coming from North London.

I've been to the Porterhouse on a Saturday evening before and it was very very busy (almost couldnt lift your arm to drink knid of busy!) and very expensive. Hopefully be less full in the afternoon.
TigerTimmy

Post by TigerTimmy »

Looking at the virtual tour of Waxy O'Conners it looks massive!
Munster Exile
Tiger Cub

Post by Munster Exile »

I like the Porter House, but yes it is expensive. I stick by the Chester Arms recomendation, it's a proper pub and a rugby pub too, Belsize park RFC use it as their club house.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

"hole in the wall" - its a rugby pub, have recently had a widescreen put in - so i assume it will show the rugby - its the one that is literally the hole in the wall in the railway bridge near twickenham. Really atmospheric and friendly - with a real charcter - all the glasses and pictures on the wall wobble when i train goes over ti bridge.... perfectly safe though :P
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Are you talking about the 'Hole in the Wall' at Waterloo, Kornboy? Used to sell excellent ale, but some of the clientele was a bit suspect!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex