End of Leicester Tigers?!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The day this happens is the day I stop following domestic rugby.

But it won't. Nothing in that article does anything to suggest to me it will happen. I suspect it was mentioned in a long list of "possibilities" as to feasible change and the Times has jumped on it.

If it happens I will streak at a nominated game this season. You have my word.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Dave A, take a look at the unoffy, where Barney (from the Wasps unoffy, posting on here very occasionally as Barney the Bear) gave a heads-up. Barney is a sports journo himself, so presumably has someinkling of the way these stories work. Maybe you should go onto the DWs and tell him to stop whittering? TJS10 is more or less doing that already, mind.

My contribution involves the words "kiss" "they" "my" "can" and "aris". :evil:
nwnreader

Post by nwnreader »

I was surprised to see an RFU rebuttal placed on the website so quickly. Maybe they were planning a big press carnival release of the wonderful idea, and Mr Jones has pooped on their party?
One thought struck me when I was told of the 'plan'. Where are the megastar players going to come from so that these regional squads are 'the best'? Is it that the clubs just give up their players (who are now corporate assets)? Doubt it!

Anyway, Ive done some research of my own and worked out where these assemblies should be established, all based on well known historical fact as to where the best players already are, and always have been :-
Blackheath
Penzance & Newlyn
Orrell
Coventry
Wakefield
Rosslyn Park
Oxford and Cambridge Universities
Bath (my keyboard won't allow Brianticle, sorry - Barissssssss....)
Gosforth

Bring back Duckham and Mickey the Munch, I say.
If Tigers become Lions, how do Lions become Pussycats?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

The interesting thing about the RFU statement is that it only states that they are not putting forward any proposals (I assume this means formal proposals to the PRL) at this stage.

What is more interesting is that they have not stated that the article in the ST is completely inaccurate nor that such possibilities for franchising as detailed in the ST article may be discussed as part of the 'Way Forward Project' sic).

My assesment is that someone at the RFU was/is thinking along these lines.
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

My first response when I read the article was "F**k off", then I started laughing when I carried on reading...
Seriously, hv they not got better things to do than coming up with those silly ideas :shock:
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

this is so unlikely - infact it says its unlikely in the article actually in the times. so all of you chilll, and if it does - teams can apply for a place - and they wont say no to leicester. and hey - if tigers dont get in, they'll join magners or something similar.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Just another reason not to redevelop Welford Road.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Snorbins wrote:Just another reason not to redevelop Welford Road.
even if this does happen - tigers would join the celtic league, or the french top division - to counter this, so welford road would still be around.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Gate wrote:Dave A, take a look at the unoffy, where Barney (from the Wasps unoffy, posting on here very occasionally as Barney the Bear) gave a heads-up. Barney is a sports journo himself, so presumably has someinkling of the way these stories work. Maybe you should go onto the DWs and tell him to stop whittering? TJS10 is more or less doing that already, mind.

My contribution involves the words "kiss" "they" "my" "can" and "aris". :evil:

gate, I've just had a quick look at the unoffy site & notice that Barney has posted the same article on each of the different club sites to stir up a bit more trouble.

The fact that he's a journo only means that he knows how to whip up a frenzy over nothing....just as the Times has done. (Yes CT, I thought I'd say it once more! :wink: )

It doesn't mean he has any more knowledge about it than you or I or that he is right. After all, Barney loves Lawrence Dallagio & is possibly his biggest fan.

See, he's not always right is he? :lol:
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

I tell you what though if this did happen (please god don't let ths happen) there would be a massive uproar. So many massive clubs would be squashed.

Lets start a petition against it! :)
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Dave A, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you tell him to stop whittering? :wink:
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

IF this did happen who would expect us to merge with you know to stay in the top league.

I think that they would just stick it out in their own league.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

does this help?

http://tinyurl.com/yg5aaa

(btw Sherpa, it was John McEnroe who said "You cannot be serious" - Kenny Everett was "It's all in the best possible taste" I think :lol: )

Iain - in answer to your proposal "You cannot be serious!" :lol:
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Ra Ra

Post by Ra Ra »

Didn't the RFU force a breakaway 100 years ago too?

Just goes to prove they can't be trusted no matter how forward thinking they are. Just for the record, this is the right way to go.

As an aside, if you choose to breakaway and form your own league does that not make you hypocrites?
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Actually, the more I consider it, the more I'm in favour. I'd much rather see Tigers in the Magners league against Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Scarlets and co, than in the Premiership against Worcester, Bristol and co.... not that there's anything wrong with them, but they're just not as good as Munster and co.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."