End of Leicester Tigers?!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

I think like most devoted fans of the three 'little clubs' who will be no more, Leicester, Bath, Gloucester I'd rather eat poison than go along with any of this! Perhaps,if this is the usual 'spin doctors' tosh that has taken over the world, we should get our retaleation in first. Contract all our English players past 2009 and then like the premiership in football set up our own league! The RFU is about as relevant to modern rugby as the telegraph is to a telephone. Having read the artical a few times now the finance talked about doesn't stack up. Where do they think the fan base for these clubs is going to come from? Newcastle and the surrounding area is a football stronghold as is Greater Manchester. When Newcastle struggle to get 10,000 in now and Sale likewise, when Leeds couldn't get 5,000 when they were in the premiership, who is going to go and watch them! I live 10 miles from Coventry but have no affiliation with a club other than the one I spend good money on now so you will not see me. I'd rather watch our development team which I do now.
If we are talking about reducing the amount of rugby played by the international players then save 2 matches by getting rid of the b****y pointless play-offs and save another 3 at least by getting rid of the EDF trophy. If there is a cry about loss of money then the RFU could do something useful for once and up the clubs funding rather than p*****g it up the wall for them selves at Twickenham.
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

To quote Kenney Everet - YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!

This is the most absurd load of twaddle but I fear it's roots are based somewhere in fact.

I feel a march on RFU HQ coming on.....
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

The plan will either fail dramatically or we will see a new England team without Premiership players.

The only way this will work is with central contracts and as there is no way the clubs will agree to this the option Baron sees is to to do away with the clubs.

I cant see the players association agreeing, and also teams like Leicester, Glocester, Northampton and Irish who have large fan bases would retain their playing base. I have no fears over the survival of the club.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

gkbradley wrote:You will see that he specifically references franchising as an issue and as being a threat to the future of the club. So my view would be that he either had wind of something or was very prescient indeed.

He does indeed refer to the threat of franchising, but franchising has been a known threat now for around two years! This latest article mentions a specific plan which is allegedly due to be revealed in the next few days.

I will state quite clearly now that I do not expect any such plan/blueprint/proposal or whatever you want to call it will be unveiled in the next week.

Because it doesn't exist!

The Sunday Times have clearly heard a passing comment from someone on a road near to Twickenham & have managed to pad out a couple of articles based on nothing more than rumour....and you have all fallen for it hook, line & sinker without even questioning it! :roll:
little_elf
Tiger Cub

Post by little_elf »

barnythebear wrote:Where do they think the fan base for these clubs is going to come from? Newcastle and the surrounding area is a football stronghold as is Greater Manchester. When Newcastle struggle to get 10,000 in now and Sale likewise, when Leeds couldn't get 5,000 when they were in the premiership, who is going to go and watch them! I live 10 miles from Coventry but have no affiliation with a club other than the one I spend good money on now so you will not see me. I'd rather watch our development team which I do now.
The RFU don't care about the fans. They think all fans would rather watch England play than the clubs they support. As long as Twickenham is filled by the minority of rugby fans and the majority of corporate guests, why should the RFU be bothered about the fans of the domestic competition?
moke69
Tiger Cub

Post by moke69 »

This ides just smacks of it’s my ball and if you want to play it will be under my rules.

It shows how far the RFU are out of touch with the clubs not just premiership but division 1 due to no promotion & relegation and the most important people in rugby, the fans.

I hope it is a scare tactic by Baron and the ‘Old Fart’s’ to quote bum face but if the RFU is intent on pushing this idea through then what action do we as fans take?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

DA - Well time will tell on this one. I expect something will be tabled at some point, then you will have the evidence you want.
amber

Post by amber »

Just scanned the article in the Sunday Times, like most people we are horrified. As usual the RFU are light years away from what the real fans who turn up week after week rain or shine, to support their teams, really want. We won't go to Coventry to support a 'regional' team. We want to support our local heros. I agree with Little Elf they haven't thought about the regional culture, Manchester is far too soccer orientated to get good crowds and Leeds is into Rugby League, Union has a big following in the Midlands which is why we have so many good teams, likewise in the west country. Also why is there no London venue?
I do hope this is a way of promoting consultation and provoke discussion. I hope the people who are to make the decisiions actually consult the fans. (Mind you that would be a first !)
little_elf
Tiger Cub

Post by little_elf »

What about the thought that they Baron has come up with something so ridiculous he know's it won't pass and there will be uproar amongst club and fans. He then proposes ring fencing or central contracts and everyone things well if these are the options better go for the ring fencing or central contracts?
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

I think stephen jones's article in the Sunday Tmes may have it right..."....sabre rattling by the RFU....What we find is that clubs on the list represent the doves in the current dispute together with a few others who are struggling on the field or financially. The hawks in the dispute, those clubs that are in general running splendidly, have been specifically excluded — among them Gloucester, Leicester, Sale, Wasps and London Irish...The grim news for all of us sick to death of intransigence on both sides, tired of posturing and power plays, and plaintively trying to point out how good rugby can be in this era, is that the RFU’s plans will dramatically prolong the agony and will subject the game to at least two more years of stress and bickering."
Well stated Mr Jones havent seen eye to eye with his posturing in the past but this was a good article.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Three month consultation process? This should be a three second consultation process resulting in a two word reply. The second word being 'off'.

If this is true then I would much appreciate it if someone could tell me a) where are the RFU offices based? and b) Where can I buy a supply of good quality semtex? It's the only way to stop these madmen!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Postiger, the 3 month consultation process is not over the plans as made up in today's Times.

It's a 4 month consultation process about the English game as a whole & to be honest, I think such a consultation is well overdue as we can't acarry on with the game in the state it is in at the moment, and THAT is the fault of both the RFU and PRL!
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

If this plan does turn out to be serious and not just posturing, then we should rally troops and have a good old fashioned march on HQ, in our supporters strips, and park there until enough people notice. I haven't had a good march for years! And what a scary ugly looking bunch we would be.
Don't mess with The Mothers!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

CT,

IF the report turns out to be correct then we should all do whatever we can to stop it happening, but until we actually see any real proof of any proposals, I think we should all calm down a bit! :shock:

Just because it is in the Times doesn't make it true.
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

I think we've all got your point Dave A! But you keep repeating it if it makes you happy!

You sound like Michael bloomin Winner. Calm down dear. :D

If I want a rally I'll have a :censored: rally.
Don't mess with The Mothers!