Moderators: Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Rizzo, Tigers Webmaster

Mid Lander

End of Leicester Tigers?!

Post by Mid Lander » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:30 am

IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:03 am

There is not a hope in hell.... the only way this would possibly pass would be if the Premiership sides went off to form their own league, leaving the RFU with effectively a new league with lower class players as the high class players go to the clubs with heritage, such as Bath and Tigers.

This is just never gonna happen. The clubs, players and fans will never allow it.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."

Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:11 am

I had to look at the date to make sure it wasn't 1st April. Frances 'i've finally self certificated as mentality inept' Baron has just signed his own beginning of the end chapter!

Why should the RFU want to control everything, so fatcat Baron and his cronies get fatter and continue to rip us off......... GET LOST BARON we're not interested.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:30 am

I cannot believe the RFU is this far removed from the real world. This plan would destroy the game as we know it unless all the clubs and players tell Baron exactly where he can file it.
Having been to see Coventry over the Christmas period - who is going to pay to give them a new ground and stadium that (in theory only!) could accommodate Tigers fans, Saints fans and the few diehard Cov fans - say 25,000. Don't see the RFU paying for it ie not thought through and not feasible.
Not sure the RFU can control the Heinekin - they may prefer to have the exisiting teams in their competition rather than Divison 1 teams.
Big question on where England players would come from - only the Super 10 clubs or would they need to be negotiated with clubs like Tigers - I see a war coming if this is pursued.
Interestingly that Newcastle appears on the list with Rob Andrews no doubt involved - although I hope this is not his idea as El Supremo - I thought more of him than this.

Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:34 am

we said Jeremy but seems that Gob Andrew wants to rule the world of rugby....... in England that is.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:48 am

Sounds like they have started in an extreme position in order to get the clubs negotiating - something which they might not have thought was possible.(negotiating).

I hope we don't even begin negotiations on this rubbish - tell them no, no and a thousand times no.

G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:58 am

This is more likely to be the end for Barron and the other clowns at the RFU (and good riddance too) rather than Tigers et al. Just proves how out of touch they are with club Rugby. I have to assume Andrew is also behind this, which would explain some of the clubs already named on the list.

Yes the RFU will have to fully fund the clubs as there won't be many people paying to go and watch this Super 10 rubbish. I wouldn't for sure. Hope the clubs don't waste time and money discussing this, but just tell them to go to hell.

Also this will probably have the effect of screwing things up for the 2011 RWC. Will be interesting to see which way the top players jump though as that will be the crucial factor.

Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:24 am

Ignoring the Leicester/Covenrty issue, the biggest error I see in that is NO LONDON BASED TEAM!!

I think this shows just how out of touch the RFU really are.
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !

wellbutthatcouldbe

Post by wellbutthatcouldbe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:33 am

Jeremy Anderson wrote: Having been to see Coventry over the Christmas period - who is going to pay to give them a new ground and stadium that (in theory only!) could accommodate Tigers fans, Saints fans and the few diehard Cov fans - say 25,000.
They could share the Ricoh Arena which holds 32,000 odd - which to be honest, does more to put me off the whole concept than any other single consideration.

I support the Leicester side in every major sport except cricket (even then Leicestershire are my "second team" after Gloucester). I do not want to support a team who play their home matches in Coventry :x

Nabuk - I think Saracens (for which read Watford) and Richmond are the Greater London teams.

Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:52 am

So Baron has finally worked out how to get his early pension!

Tigershaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

End

Post by Tigershaz » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:00 am

The only successful (financially) part of English rugby is certain premiership clubs. Why mend what isn't broken?

Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:21 am

:shock: Utter madness

Someone needs to put the man out of his misery.

If that is an attempt to restart negotiations .....
:cry:
I admit that there are failings in the current setup, BUT ???
:idea:
If that's the best the RFU can do, then I'll be off to Hull to watch Hull FC Rugby League - I used to follow them alot when I lived in North Humberside (sic) - though it was always my 2nd winter sport. I can get to the Humber Bridge in under an hour from here...

Sorry just cleaning up after spluttering my morning caffeine all over my computer

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:48 am

What an excellent idea! If this did happen then I can see the likes of the Prem clubs forming their own league and union and a sensible salary cap. They can play for the Premiership title properly and not fill the RFU coffers with playoff games, find sponsors for a seperate well-funded cup competition and leave the RFU to do their thing as they see fit. I doubt that the ERC would take to this idea kindly and as the outcome would affect the other nations in the ERC. Club before country!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat

Lozza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lozza » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:02 am

The man (Baron) is an idiot! He is obviously some sort of power freak who is trying to gain control over something he knows little or nothing about!

He is obviously miffed that he can't get what he wants by fair means so he's trying to gain by other more devious methods.

The phrase 'over my dead body' springs to mind! :evil:
Lozza

Nothing is Impossible

rufcut

Post by rufcut » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:06 am

It's got to be a negotiating position(I hope).

I can remember going to Welford Road to watch the Midlands play a few teams(including the Australia of Campese etc), and the atmosphere was pretty flat(more of general rugby interest than actual support), it just didn't feel like a home game-and I suspect that, and the sterile atmosphere of places like The Walkers Stadium would kill ideas like this. Well I wouldn't travel to Manchester for it!

That or our great game will go to hell in a handcart...