Leicester - Newcastle Update

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Blimey there are a lot of people who clearly got back from Newcastle very quickly to be able to make such in depth analysis of the game....
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Not in depth analysis Iain but I think the timeline and final score speaks for itself and that does not require much in the way of analysis.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

Iain wrote:Blimey there are a lot of people who clearly got back from Newcastle very quickly to be able to make such in depth analysis of the game....
YEP FLEW INTO BRISTOL :roll:
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

Nik wrote:
Iain wrote:Blimey there are a lot of people who clearly got back from Newcastle very quickly to be able to make such in depth analysis of the game....
YEP FLEW INTO BRISTOL :roll:
But all flights into Bristol have been cancelled today !
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

hi OiL I was taking Iain's lead and being sarcastic! :wink:
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

Nik wrote:hi OiL I was taking Iain's lead and being sarcastic! :wink:
I see :lol:
chris whelan

Post by chris whelan »

Just read PH's post-match comments - seemed happy to give this game away in the light of high end of season finish - looks like his 'lame duck' period has started - doesn't bode well.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I don't see the comments as a lame duck response, he's simply saying that it doesn't matter so much who is first or second in the table at this point in the season, which is true - it matters more who is in the top four at the end - which is a long way and more than a few games away from today.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
chris whelan

Post by chris whelan »

OK,but top 2 is preferable.
I think the loss when we had a few considerable leads shows lack of ruthlessness,possibly leadership - that's all I was alluding to.
Tweentown

Post by Tweentown »

So here's some comments from someone who is back from seeing the game.

Yesterday I posted on here saying that I felt that tigers were on the up at the right time in the season, confidence is improving and prospects of silverware looking better than for the last few seasons. I said that anything less than a win today would be a dissappointment.

Well, today the best I can describe the team as right from the kick off is lethargic. The body language was just all wrong. Newcastle were nothing special and somehow we managed to be 16-6 up at half time - but not sure we deserved that lead.

So, in the second half we continued with the lethargy and also pressed the self destruct button - sensible basic rugby would have won us the game but we seemed at times to lack common sense and I saw no evidence of any tactical leadership from Corry ay all I'm afraid. Our forwards should have dominated a Newcastle pack that on paper is somewhat weaker than ours - but failed.

As for Newcastle's second half tries - poor kick from Goode (again), counter attack, try (again). Then a non threatening kick through that should have been easily dealt with and wasn't - gifted try.

Some needless penalties as well - especially Corry going into contact and holding on in his own 22 right before half time when all he needed to do was make a simple pass to allow a kick for touch and the half time whistle.

And then I get home and read PH's comments on the BBC - well it's OK were in the top 4 - so I assume the team tactic was to play in their comfort zone today and save themselves for bigger and better things next week end??????????????????

By the way, does anybody know what happened at the end of the game. It appeared that the ref had awarded a penalty to Tigers in a very kickable position but them blew for full time.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I'm not sure you can read anything into a coach's post match comments, Dean Ryan, for instance, said he was very pleased with Gloucester's performance yesterday! It was very much along the lines of "we did really well to be 16-3 up at half time but Sale played really well in the second half so well done to them".

I suspect that there is one set of comments for media consumption and another for the benefit of the players!
Flying Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Flying Tiger »

chris whelan wrote:OK,but top 2 is preferable.
I think the loss when we had a few considerable leads shows lack of ruthlessness,possibly leadership - that's all I was alluding to.
Based on our away form, we better finish in the top 2!
Don't look back in anger...
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

smith482 wrote:I don't think ref was that biased we just let them back in instead of finishing them off - we're good at that - we had them on the ropes at half time, it's so frustrating but I still think we could beat Munster if we have the right mindset
I was adding to the list of generic complaints, that we always seem to get. I have no idea whether he was biased or not. That one was missing from the list.
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

Nik wrote:I'm going to quote myself because I want too oh and because i'm so peed off!!

PAT YOU'VE GOT IT ALL WRONG.
[sarcasm]Pat, top two really is not good enough. EDF cup semi final means nothing. You haven't got us a trophy so far this season, so get out of our club now.[/sarcasm]
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

I know he didn't actually say he was comfortable in giving this match away but I'm a little uneasy with coaches admitting that they did this, smacks of Bristol coming to the Fortress really. If I'd have travelled to Newcastle and PH commented he was happy giving the match away I'd be sending him a bill for my travel and ticket expenses..... as a supporter I don't expect that.

Yet again the team are going back into their shells, same happened this time last year, there seems to be trouble in the back room, PH even said so himself in the papers, don't like seeing him washing his dirty linen in public, but hey who am I? I only contribute to the high wages he's on so I couldn't possibly say that I don't think he's doing a very good job, nor's cockers!!

BRING IN BACKY, ROWNTREE AND JOHNNO.