England Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

So much for planning for the future all the old guard get recalled and the youngsters get sent to saxons.

How does Balshaw merit a place? I think it's too soon for Farrell he hasn't played enough games and Geraghty? :roll: How many games has he played for Irish? I know he's young and should be given his chance but to pick him when he's hardly played any games?. With the lack of cover at FH I would have had Barkley in the elite squad at least he has played in the position. I hope Ashton proves me wrong but when he was appointed I was quite pleased as I thought he would have given more of the good young players a chance to gain some more experience playing in the full squad, and I am a little disappointed that he is recalling players who have retired from the international game. I hope his planning ahead for 2011 does not mean places for all the old codgers who are in this squad now.
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Agree with g how the hell does Balshaw get in or did he do something else i the AI's apart from kick badly and aimlessly?
I'm truly depressed now......those Saxon backs look a damm sight better than the so called Seniors :(
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Capricorn wrote:On recent evidence Worsley has had it, like Dayglo, yet he gets in first team. Barkley, an experienced player, has been on form yet relegated to Saxons. I sense some "old boy network" at hand here.

:evil: :evil:Not much evidence of a new broom sweeping clean!We need more innovation- to get anywhere.
A couple of posters have queried the omission of Barkley from the main squad. Its all a matter of opinion, but why ? I truly think that he has been very poor this season. He is lucky to make the Saxons in my opinion, and is probably only in as cover (10, 12, 15).
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Daily

You say Barkley has been poor this season and you may be right about that. But so has Balshaw, and a majority of the Waspies yet they still get picked. With the lack of FH cover I would have brought Barkley into the squad he has played there and I think he should have been in as cover.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

g wrote:Daily

You say Barkley has been poor this season and you may be right about that. But so has Balshaw, and a majority of the Waspies yet they still get picked. With the lack of FH cover I would have brought Barkley into the squad he has played there and I think he should have been in as cover.
Hi g

FH is a problem, but then it was always going to be. Lamb is no great white hope ... suspect temperament and defence (at least at this stage of his development).

Jonny is obviously the only decent 10 we have, if fit. Flood is no worse than Lamb, and certainly no worse than Barkley or Goode and I am sure that he will be Jonny's backup if his fitness fails him. Geraghty is a gamble .... I reckon he has picked him on one game !
boomshanka10

Post by boomshanka10 »

Am i the one on surprised that Vesty hasnt got into the Saxons as hes had another strong season .....
Liamsdad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Liamsdad »

Got to be influence of the other coaches hasn't it. John Wells is forwards coach and 5 Tigers picked for the pack. Rob Andrew ex Newcastle and Wilko and Flood picked for 10.
Think Farrell is doing OK since he started playing at 12 for Sarries so probably worth his place. Robinson not in form for Sale so probably not worth his. Balshaw not in form for anyone so definately not worth picking. Goode was never going to fit in with Ashton's vision of running rugby so not surprised he's been left out (wrongly I think). Lund or Rees at 7 is a good call as is Moody playing 6 (likely). Corry still at 8 (likely).

Watch Phillippe St Andre cry now though. Major injuries causing him to lose the pick of his team and the best players in the rest of his squad now picked for England. If Chabal gets called up for France he'll have a coronary :!:
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

To well balanced squads. Older players to work with the youngsters. Balshaw is in the Elite squad because he has moments of magic. Magic wins games at the top level and we have precious few who can do taht. Robinson is a genious even if a slighly faded one he has to play he can beat a man.

Goode makes nether squad beacuse he can barely make Leicesters he played above himself to get and England start but will be lucky to even start at Leicester.

Sorry for Beamand thought he would have made Saxons.

We have to do well in this 6 nations and the wold CUp these squads are capable o getting to the semis at the World Cup. At the same time we are blooding youngsters for the next two. An excellent choice well done.
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

Well, Andy Goode is the only reliable back up for anyone at 10...
if anything happens in a game(touchwood), u dont seriously expect the young ones to carry the team for the rest of the 6N??
DorsetTiger

Post by DorsetTiger »

thank God Dalaylo is not in the squad.

Possible England Team?

White
Chuter
Vickery
Grewcock
Deacon
Moody
Rees
Ward Smith

Perry
Flood

Tindall
Lewsey

Rbinson
Cueto
balshaw
elliot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by elliot »

Jonny in and Goodey out? Thats not right at all! While he has been in and out Goode has been topping top scorers lists consistantly! Its a travesty, not that i know what that means
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

i think thompson will be in ahead of chuter, he is in great form just now - the front row was certainly one area where we beat wuss hands down(it was the kicking, again, which cost us :evil: . )

surprised to see cohen move to the saxons - i thought he could hold his head a little higher than most after the autumn internationals, even if they did play him with a broken collarbone :evil: - but no big deal.

pleased to see dylan hartley in the saxons - he has the makings of a great no.2 and deserves a run.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

I reckon starting v scotland should be -

1. Vickery (c)
2. Chuter
3. White
4. Grewcock
5. Brown or Deacon
6. Lund
7. Moody
8. Ward-smith or Corry

9. Ellis
10. Geraghty
11. Lewsey
12. Tait
13. Noon
14. Cueto
15. Robinson
Tigers forever ! Tuilagi Rules!!
Get well soon Hazza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Tigers
fierysam

Post by fierysam »

I've been looking at the squad, and I'm beginning to think along the lines of :
Mike Catt is there to play alongide his team mate Geraghty, give him a bit of moral support/guidance .....it 's the only reason to have him there!

Looking at the stats table on Top Goal Kickers from the GP website, at the moment Shane Geraghty is 15th, with Toby Flood in at 18th.... hmmmm....(our own Andy is in at 6th)

I can't believe he's wasting his time on Wilkinson (as pointed out here earlier - he should be there in a coaching role only). Wilko's fitness coach has declared today that there's no way he'll make the opening Calcutta Cup game, and he's not even doing full contact training yet.... I can't see him playing at all in the 6 nations. Of course he could be rushed into playing, not being match fit, and get injured again and be out for the WC entirely!

Thrown by the inclusion of Thompson - might be wearing rose tinted glasses, but I think George is playing him off the field just now!

Robinson - yes he's doing well for Sale, but I think he's passed it at International level. He's looking like a one trick pony, a faded one at that, and hasn't played at the next level for years now. I think it's going to hit him hard, and he'll wonder what he's doing there. It's more of an ego trip for him (as it was with Dayglo), believing that there is just not the talent in the youngsters coming through...

Chuffed to bits for all of our boys, but I am a bit concerned about our cover at 8, if Cozza and Crane get selected!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

For anyone who is critcal of the return of the 'old guard' and frothing at the failure to include any youngsters, how about actually looking at the squads?

Geraghty (20), Lund (23), Rees (22), Flood (21) and Tait (20) are in the 'senior' squad, and they are hardly Dad's Army...

Also there is room in the extended squad for Brooker (20), Crane (20), Hartley (20), Haskell (21), Wilson (19), Wood (22), Abendanon (20), Allen (20), Brown (21), Foden (21), Lamb (20), Morgan (21) and Varndell (21) along with a smattering of other players in their early 20s.

There is a VERY youthful feel to the Saxons, as well as there being more young players in the senior squad than went on the 'development' tour to Australia.