England Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Flying Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Flying Tiger »

EssexTiger wrote:How the h*** do Wasps get so many in the squads when they are playing badly?
Was wondering the same thing.
Don't look back in anger...
Flying Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Flying Tiger »

EssexTiger wrote:Looks like real development has been rejected again.

Should have been a chance for bringing on more youngsters. The World Cup is lost anyway.
Ashton is in a tough spot here. While future development is important, he still has to produce results and ramp up to the World Cup. He can't just throw in the towel and go into World Cup preparations with a bunch of youngsters.
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

EssexTiger wrote:Should have been a chance for bringing on more youngsters. The World Cup is lost anyway.
It is? And here was me thinking it didn't start until September...
Flying Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Flying Tiger »

Total number of players for senior squad by club...
Wasps 7
Tigers 6
Gloucester 4
Newcastle 4
Sale 3
Bristol 2
Bath 2
Irish 2
Saints 1
Sarries 1
Perpignan 1
gazza3

Post by gazza3 »

The squad is a step in the right direction, what with there being included players who have been really well for their club during this season in the premiership. but i do question who will be our fly-half - geraghty (first time), wilkinson (not many games), flood or farrell? the only one is can see which will be good for the team is mike catt, and i hope he is picked their as he will be able to lead the line well.
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Am I the only one who feels Robinson shouldn't be in the squad? I do like him but I think he has had his day on the international scene and has become very predictable (imo). Surprised re Goodey not getting a call - is the guy Flood a real talent (on the big stage) as I know very little about him?
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Cockers

Post by Cockers »

I don't see your problem Rizzo;

Farrell: he's yet to do anything of note but had to be included if he was to get a shot at the World Cup and let us not forget that he was brought in to Union for one reason - the World Cup, he's learning his trade but has pace, vision, and solid defence, he could start for England tomorrow without a problem, he also brings real, proven leadership to the party too.

Robinson: Has unbeatable pace from a standing start, is sound in defence, has developed a more than useful kicking game, brings tactical awareness, good running lines and leadership into the squad, add the fact that any team he faces has to script a defence to counter him and the move to recall him is validated, lets also not lose sight of the fact that he stepped down due mostly to AR, he didn't lose form nor was he excluded from any England Squad.

Balshaw: I'm amazed anyone could argue with his inclusion, stride for stride he's the fastest man in an England shirt and has played since God was a lad, he knows how to come into the line from deep, he's got the best side step i think i've ever seen and doesn't shirk a tackle.

Tindall: Only just getting back after injury and boy have England missed him! at 28yrs old he has a legitimate right to be included and has been there and seen it, play him alongside Farrell and force the opposition to go round the outside to score, all of those mentioned thus far would make my starting 15 easily and that means solid defence and clever attacking, we're not doing badly thus far.

Wilkinson: Any team in the world would kill for a Wilko and the new man would have been mad to leave him out, if nothing else it gets him back into the routine among his mates, this is a WC selection, forget about seeing him in the six nations, this is the new management showing some vision and i appluad his decsion to bring him in.
Last edited by Cockers on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Hi Cockers, welcome to the forum. I agree with some of the points but still can't get my head around Robinsons inclusion. He did have lightning fast pace with dynamic running lines etc but I feel his better days are now behind him. He collects the ball, runs forward, puts in a couple of zig zag moves and then gets dumped on his backside - holds on far too long and gives away a penalty. Could it be he is as a backup to the back line just in case we get any injuries to the likes of Cueto, Balsh and Lewsey etc.
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

1st team:

Joe Worsley
Danny Grewcock
Iain Balshaw
Mike Catt
Andy Farrell
Mike Tindall
Mathew Tait
Jonny Wilkinson (shesh just quit dreaming that he'll be fit and on form for the world cup... or possibly ever)

A team:

James Forrester
Steve Borthwick / Chris Jones / Ben Kay
Olly Morgan
Stuart Abbott
Anthony Allen
Olly Barkley
James Simpson-Daniel
Ryan Lamb

I've figured it out... they must have made some typo's and posted up the backs for each squad the wrong way round :lol:

1st team vs A team... I'd have my cash on the Saxons I think.... Close upfront but the backs just look so much better.

And whats with making Vickery captain?? The guy would need to prove to me he can manage to make it through a season without injuring himself before I'd go making him captain. Just makes no sense.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Cockers wrote:I don't see your problem Rizzo;

Farrell: he's yet to do anything of note but had to be included if he was to get a shot at the World Cup and let us not forget that he was brought in to Union for one reason - the World Cup, he's learning his trade but has pace, vision, and solid defence, he could start for England tomorrow without a problem, he also brings real, proven leadership to the party too.

Robinson: Has unbeatable pace from a standing start, is sound in defence, has developed a more than useful kicking game, brings tactical awareness, good running lines and leadership into the squad, add the fact that any team he faces has to script a defence to counter him and the move to recall him is validated, lets also not lose sight of the fact that he stepped down due mostly to AR, he didn't lose form nor was he excluded from any England Squad.

Balshaw: I'm amazed anyone could argue with his inclusion, stride for stride he's the fastest man in an England shirt and has played since God was a lad, he knows how to come into the line from deep, he's got the best side step i think i've ever seen and doesn't shirk a tackle.

Tindall: Only just getting back after injury and boy have England missed him! at 28yrs old he has a legitimate right to be included and has been there and seen it, play him alongside Farrell and force the opposition to go round the outside to score, all of those mentioned thus far would make my starting 15 easily and that means solid defence and clever attacking, we're not doing badly thus far.

Wilkinson: Any team in the world would kill for a Wilko and the new man would have been mad to leave him out, if nothing else it gets him back into the routine among his mates, this is a WC selection, forget about seeing him in the six nations, this is the new management showing some vision and i appluad his decsion to bring him in.
I can only speak as I've seen, Cockers (and welcome to the forum btw :) )

Robinson - just does not seem to have the pizzazz he had before retirement from International rugby, I can't put my finger on it, but he doesn't seem the same player (age maybe?)

Balshaw - yes he is fast, and he can be great on occasion - but he gets injured at the drop of a hat, and hasn't seemed to gel into place in the last few England games he played in (though to be fair, no one did).

Tindall - never rated him that much before, have seen no reason to change my mind.

Wilko - yes, he's fabulous when he's uninjured and in form - but I cannot honestly see him being back to how he was on THAT fateful day - not even in time for World Cup.

For once my rose-tinted Pollyanna specs have slipped maybe, but I'm not hugely impressed by the squad selection in places. I wait with great hope to be proved wrong.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
EssexTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by EssexTiger »

Maybe there's another reason for Wilkinson's inclusion.

Fit or not fit he brings a wealth of experience to the squad, especially with the 'novice' 10's being picked.

Whether he should be in the squad or a guest coach, that's another question.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

i find it absurd that you pick two fly haves who've never started before and one that's injured. that will be a key area and we need a reliable kicker i dont really know much about flood or geraghty but i do know they have no experience and if they cant kick and supply the backs were in for some drummings.

Andy farrell is a suprise for me i hope he proves me wrong though and he could well do.

I'm delighted that robinson has decided to come out of intrantional retirement if anyone he's the man to bring us to new levels.

Dan ward smith is no real suprise, and i'm glad to see tait's still in there.

I do think goode and Smith deserved to be in the first squad let alone the second.

well done Louis deacon on getting his place back I hope he starts aswell.
Tigers forever ! Tuilagi Rules!!
Get well soon Hazza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Tigers
Tentpeg

Post by Tentpeg »

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Dan Ward-Smith. If he can transfer half of his club form to the international stage, then he could be "one to watch".

As for Cozza, I don't think it was any real surprise the captaincy was handed over, rightly or wrongly, but I do think he'll be in the starting XV for the Six Nations......although maybe not at 8!

We'll see.....
...and on the second day, the Lord created Welford Road!
Flying Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Flying Tiger »

Tentpeg wrote:As for Cozza, I don't think it was any real surprise the captaincy was handed over, rightly or wrongly, but I do think he'll be in the starting XV for the Six Nations......although maybe not at 8!
Think we'll have a better chance of seeing him at 8 than elsewhere. Don't believe Ashton will field Cozza in a position that he doesn't regularly play.
Capricorn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Capricorn »

On recent evidence Worsley has had it, like Dayglo, yet he gets in first team. Barkley, an experienced player, has been on form yet relegated to Saxons. I sense some "old boy network" at hand here.

:evil: :evil:Not much evidence of a new broom sweeping clean!We need more innovation- to get anywhere.