shane jennings leaving?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

panna

shane jennings leaving?

Post by panna »

a report in the irish independaant saying that shane is going to rejoin them at the end of the season

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ ... e_id=15046
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

I hope not. He's been excellent for us, and is our first choice 7.
Ed
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

shane jennings leaving ?

Post by mike »

I hope this is not accurate - Jennings is our best No 7 and should be the the first name on the team sheet .Whenever he plays we have a much more effective back row and I hope he is not going because of being left out when PH puts Louis Deacon at 6 .With his contract up at the end of this the Club should have sorted an extension out ages ago .With PH leaving and a definate successor unlikely to be named for a while , I can see a Recruitment vacuum coming along with the inevitable consequences for next season .
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Both Jennings and Humphreys are out of contract at the end of this season, and there has been some talk for a while now of them both being 'targeted' for a return back over the Irish Sea.

The lose of either would be serious, although we have no real idea if the club have any quality replacements lined up. We are (IMO) much thinner at 7 than 6 and 8, and we really need to try very hard to keep Shane. I don't need to emphasise how tricky 10 is at the moment !

Who else is out of contract at the end of this year ? I know Gibbo is .... any others ?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I also heard a rumour that Geordan was also going back over the Irish sea at the end of this season. I understand that playing in Ireland improves the chances of being selected for the Irish team and it is a world cup year next year.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

What is the club playing at? Do they want to get rid of their best players? :evil: :evil:

This situation should have been sorted out some time ago and it just shows that certain individuals are not doing their job in keeping such players happy at the club and ensuring that if possible the club can retain these players.

If you've got players of the calibre of Geordan Murphy and Shane Jennings etc, you do what you can to keep them!! :x :x Shane has been superb at N07 this season but we are prepared to sit back and wait for him to go!! :x :x

We will be left in the mire at the end of the season if these reports are accurate with no quality replacements and Tigers going downhill. The Board should be ashamed of themselves and be given the sack if they prepared to let such a situation happen!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by simon redshaw on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

gkbradley wrote:I also heard a rumour that Geordan was also going back over the Irish sea at the end of this season. I understand that playing in Ireland improves the chances of being selected for the Irish team and it is a world cup year next year.
The link above requires registration before you can read said article, just so people know.

Could it not be a way to encourage the Club offer of a new/better contract? I mean, other players do that successfully.

Geordan was asked that question at a members evening, and he said he had no plans to return to live/play in Ireland - he liked Leicester and intended to stay.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Sure it could all just be a ploy. At least they have learnt something from Pat.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

simon redshaw wrote:What is the club playing at? Do they want to get rid of their best players? :evil: :evil:

This situation should have been sorted out some time ago and it just shows that certain individuals are not doing their job in keeping such players happy at the club and ensuring that if possible the club can retain these players.

If you've got players of the calibre of Geordan Murphy and Shane Jennings etc, you do what you can to keep them!! :x :x Shane has been superb at N07 this season but we are prepared to sit back and wait for him to go!! :x :x

We will be left in the mire at the end of the season if these reports are accurate with no quality replacements and Tigers going downhill. The Board should be ashamed of themselves and be given the sack if they prepared to let such a situation happen!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Have you considered the possibility that the club & the Board have tried to do everything they can but that the player(s) concerned just want to go back home for reasons outside of Tigers' control?

It does happen you know! Money isn't the answer to everything, even in the professional era.

Occasionally players like to think of their International careers ahead of cash. If the IFRU have said that the only way Jennigs, Humph & Cullen will win more caps is by playing in Ireland, thenn back to Ireland they will go! Geordan is different as he has built up an Internatonal reputation at Tigers already. The others haven't and are competing a lot more with "local" Irish club players for caps.

It will be a massive loss to see any of them leave the club but their departure wouldn't mean that the club won't have tried everything in their power to keep them!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

all of you, every last one of you, mark my words because you were all thinking it, but im just saying it - i guarantee you that shane jennings, leo cullen and iain humphreys will sign extensions, you have to realise that this is from the irish independant, which said that geordan was "definately" going to play at leinster three years ago, then they said that cullen was "definately" going to munster last year. there just a joke. these players may be considering it, but the irfu are just grasping for players to keep there current success going.

main point:
i guarantee they will stay after this season.
Mumha

Post by Mumha »

I can tell you that Jennings is definately off at the end of this season.

Munster did not want Cullen last year, nor was it reported......we were shipping out quality 2nd rows to Leinster, not recruiting new ones.

Strong rumours linking Murphy with Munster, but only rumours, and Murphy is not holding down the Irish 15 Jersey at the moment, he has been usurped by the excellent form of Dempsey this season.
blaker
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by blaker »

Its in the Irish Times as well. Came out of the blue to Leinster fans TBH. Realistically having settled in for so long and got a spot in the Irish 15 theres no way Geordan is coming back. Shane and Leo are young enough and not over there all that lonmg so its more realistic (but obviously rumor still).
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Mumha wrote:I can tell you that Jennings is definately off at the end of this season.
mmmhmmm whatever you say mate, but just for comedy purposes - tell us how you know this.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Dave, why should Shane want to leave Tigers when he is doing so much better with us then he could do with Leinster? I am also not as convinced as you that the Board have done as much as they coulod have to make the conditions to encourage Shane and Leo to stay. Likewise possibly with Ian.

It seems like the IRFU want to interefere with the clubs whether it be in Ireland or over here. I think that to cause such instability in clubs is unacceptable and the IRFU should be held accountable themselves.

I don't know why the IRFU are kicking up so much of a fuss about players like Shane and Leo because they have been reluctant to play them in the full team in recent years and with the supposed strength of the Ireland pack, I thought that they didn't need them anyway.

To me this seems like double standards and unacceptable interference on the part of the IRFU and it seems that they have put undue pressure on the likes of Shane and Leo to leave us.

I think that the players involved have had less influence on this decision then you might think.

If Shane does leave I will be very disappointed in him. Firstly, I will feel he has let down Tigers who have put a huge investment in him and have improved him considerably and also I think he will be making a big mistake as he will not necessarily get a regular place with Leinster and will not get a place with Ireland even if he goes back there. Likewise Leo.

Unfortunately, it appears you are getting less and less loyalty with rugby players in the same way as footie players.

I hope this is one big malicious rumour but I fear there is something in this, and that Tigers will left in the lerch at the end of the season.