Ashton - End for Cozza ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Ashton - End for Cozza ?

Post by westwinds31 »

Did anyone else see the Rugby Club last night ? Barnes and Greenwood (who is proving to be excellent in discussion and analysis already) - were looking at who might make way with a new coach coming in. In the forwards, Corry, Moody and White were mentioned as possible casualties, because of the way that they reckon Ashton will want to play. They see people like Forrester and Ward-Smith as candidates for the Number 8 slot and Moody possibly making way for a "continuity" open-side. I can see the thinking with Moody, he is a "crash-bang-wallop" type back-row player and isn't in the Backy link-up-play category. It will be a shame if Cozza has to make way, but maybe a ball player like Forrester/Ward-Smith is the future for England ?
TigerTimmy

Post by TigerTimmy »

Moody's the only player in the current England team that looks like he wants the ball for the whole 80 minutes. I doubt anyone else has the same amount of passion and enthusiasm as him.

As for Cozza, I wouldnt be surprised if Ashton didn't pick him, in an attempt to get a more mobile back row. Would be a shame but atleast he could play for us!
www.myspace.com/polarbeauty (Random electronic doodlings)
fierysam

Post by fierysam »

Sorry, didn't see the prog, but I can understand their thinking...... all you can hope is that the players in the frame actually have the talent and ability to play world class rugby in the style that Ashton seems to want...... I remain unconvinced though....

If you look at Ashtons record it hardly seems to instill confidence in his approach..... I hope that he is not about a single vision of playing style, no matter what. At the end of the day, you have to take the actual abilities of the players into account, and
work around that, enhancing those with other abilities, not drive those into the background and have the boys playing a style of rugby that they are not comfortable with....
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

didn't someone on here mention Ward-Smith once or twice? :lol: :wink:
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

why not be really revolutionary and play Moody at 6 were he plays most of his best Rigby for Tigers - the problem for England is they do not have a openside the quality of Jennings to balance the backrow
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

England may well have an openside of the quality of Jennings to complement Moody - the problem is that with AR refusing to drop him from the 7 shirt, we never got the chance to find out.

Sanderson played a single match at 7 (during a season when he has been playing 6 for his club, funnily enough) and Hazell got a brief go when he was out of form.

Aside form that, Lund has been impressive every time he has played, even though he's been stuck at 6 (having been England's form 7 for last season). I notice Lord Hill is starting his third match at openside for Sarries. Frustratingly, as I believe he is better suited, at his age, to 6/8 and Seymour should continue his development at openside. He's a Jenningsy young lad.

My favoured back row for England would be
6. Moody
7. Lund
8. Forrester

A unit with a decent ammount of pace, each player in his preferred position, and where the large, powerful flankers make up for the slight weakness in Forrester's game.

The likes of Worsley or Ward-Smith can be added to the 22 in case sheer power is required to start or off the bench.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

4071 wrote:England may well have an openside of the quality of Jennings to complement Moody - the problem is that with AR refusing to drop him from the 7 shirt, we never got the chance to find out.

Sanderson played a single match at 7 (during a season when he has been playing 6 for his club, funnily enough) and Hazell got a brief go when he was out of form.

Aside form that, Lund has been impressive every time he has played, even though he's been stuck at 6 (having been England's form 7 for last season). I notice Lord Hill is starting his third match at openside for Sarries. Frustratingly, as I believe he is better suited, at his age, to 6/8 and Seymour should continue his development at openside. He's a Jenningsy young lad.

My favoured back row for England would be
6. Moody
7. Lund
8. Forrester

A unit with a decent ammount of pace, each player in his preferred position, and where the large, powerful flankers make up for the slight weakness in Forrester's game.

The likes of Worsley or Ward-Smith can be added to the 22 in case sheer power is required to start or off the bench.
A fair shout, 4071. I have consistently said that Moody and Lund are the obvious 6 and 7 for England; maybe now we will find out.

I think the jury is out on Forrester. He is very athletic, but as well as the old knock that he lacks power he also seems to be injury prone. He is an exciting player, but I am not sure he is, well, durable enough.

I am nervous about jumping on the Ward-Smith bandwagon, but he has earned a shot.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

i think that when ashton decides his team, he's got to look at the pace, the power, and offensive (yes i did say offensive) quakity's he needs in his back row. corry may not be the fastest but he's pacy enough, moody is all over the place - a genuinely outstandign player and i believe that magnus lund should fill in at 7 - a solid defensive player, but with players like forrester bouncing around the competition is tight.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

They did mention Lund on The Rugby Club, and pointed out that he has just had 2 excellent games against Stade Francais in the Heineken Cup. The Heineken Cup is very close to International rugby in terms of intensity etc (in the top games anyway) and it was a good measure of him.

I agree with Moody/Forrester/Lund
Flying Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Flying Tiger »

fierysam wrote:If you look at Ashtons record it hardly seems to instill confidence in his approach..... I hope that he is not about a single vision of playing style, no matter what. At the end of the day, you have to take the actual abilities of the players into account, and
work around that, enhancing those with other abilities, not drive those into the background and have the boys playing a style of rugby that they are not comfortable with....
From what I've read and heard, seems like it's going to be Ashton's way - and he will select the players to fit his mold. The Rugby Club panel suggested that Simpson-Daniel and Tindall would fit nicely into BA's plans.

As far as the back row, Moody definitely at 6. Like Lund on present form at 7, (not really a Sanderson fan). Really like the determination and effort Corry puts forth, but think Forrester might get a run to see if he measaures up.
Don't look back in anger...