Super User
Super User

Brian Ashton Gets the Job ?

Post by dailywaffle »

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I am well and truly underwhelmed if that is the case. Still, let the performances talk.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

i agree phil.
it sounds like they didn't even try to get Richards.
Tigers forever ! Tuilagi Rules!!
Get well soon Hazza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Tigers
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Can't say I'm impressed by that one.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

Just one word - WHY

Can't see this as a positive to look forward to!
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Sherpa2 wrote:Just one word - WHY

Can't see this as a positive to look forward to!
He was always the easiest choice, as any other manager would have brought expensive contract issues and problems with some of the existing management team to the table.

Of course, 'easiest' is not usually 'best'.
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

dailywaffle wrote:He was always the easiest choice, as any other manager would have brought expensive contract issues and problems with some of the existing management team to the table.

I am no expert, being a new convert, but it strikes me as being the same situation as with Andy Robinson. It always struck me that he was excellent under Sir Clive, but lacked what it takes to be the 'front man'. Isn't this more of the same? Genuine question, I am not knocking the man or his ability, I don't know enough to do that, but I was hoping for a new brush.
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Sherpa2 wrote:
dailywaffle wrote:He was always the easiest choice, as any other manager would have brought expensive contract issues and problems with some of the existing management team to the table.

I am no expert, being a new convert, but it strikes me as being the same situation as with Andy Robinson. It always struck me that he was excellent under Sir Clive, but lacked what it takes to be the 'front man'. Isn't this more of the same? Genuine question, I am not knocking the man or his ability, I don't know enough to do that, but I was hoping for a new brush.
Ashton was a disaster when head coach of Ireland, but seems to be highly regarded as a number 2. SCW rated him, but not as a front man.

So, Sherpa2, I think you have it right.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

So is he being appointed as head coach?

I thought England was looking for someone to manage the team or is that Whinge gobs job?

I think we should just see how he does in the 6 nations before judging him. After all Bath were ecstatic when he joined them recently and he got their backs playing good rugby.
manxleigh

nothing learnt?

Post by manxleigh »

Replace Woodward with Robinson (former coach) replace Robinson with Ashton (former coach) can anyone else see the similarities and potential issues?

England are still a major force in world rugby and should be able to employ the very best person for the job - why are they taking the easy option? Woodward has confessed he wasn't the best coach in the world but was a very good man manager = 1 World Cup. Why oh why are we looking again to employ a potentailly good coach with no proven man management skills?

To get the best out of a team that is not without talent but that has lost its way we need somone to lead them and not try and teach them how to play rugby - we have plenty of people (including Ashton) who are already very good at that!

Desperate Dan for head coach - who would mess with a human being who eats bricks?
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
Flying Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Flying Tiger »

Greetings from the States - huge rugby fan, new Tiger fanatic!

Weighing in on Brian Ashton, I'm a bit skeptical. Didn't do anything of consequence with Ireland. Talked about turning things around with Bath last year and with England now. Maybe Bath's play was a bit more open last spring, but what did that get them?

While this pending appointment as England head coach seems the easy way out, is it that no one else wants the job under the circumstances? Or could it be that, per dailywaffle, England don't want anyone else.

Pity, we may never know. Isn't it time England take a risk instead of playing it safe? See where safe has gotten them?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Flying Tiger wrote:Greetings from the States - huge rugby fan, new Tiger fanatic!

Weighing in on Brian Ashton, I'm a bit skeptical. Didn't do anything of consequence with Ireland. Talked about turning things around with Bath last year and with England now. Maybe Bath's play was a bit more open last spring, but what did that get them?

While this pending appointment as England head coach seems the easy way out, is it that no one else wants the job under the circumstances? Or could it be that, per dailywaffle, England don't want anyone else.

Pity, we may never know. Isn't it time England take a risk instead of playing it safe? See where safe has gotten them?
Welcome aboard, Flying Tiger :D

And in answer to your last paragraph ..... absolutely !
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Most sensible thing I have seen said about Ashton is " He's best with the kid's" Who said it ? Sir CW.
(and i HOPE he meant the U21's etc !!)

As has been said he did nothing with Ireland but, I guess, there is no one else :(

Deanno will probably not be interested until after the disaster that will be WC2007 :cry:
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
robwatts77

Post by robwatts77 »

i think i may be the only one here in favour of it! he was at bath for half a season and revitalised them and got them to the top quarter of the table and took them away from relegation. Brian o'driscoll and ronan o'gara have always said he was a huge influence on their game and all of the england players say he brings a much better perspective on things. perhaps if he has his complete say now without anyone telling him what to do something may happen for the good. look at barnsey and morris and greenward they have huge amounts of respect for him (although i not the greatest fan of barnes)!