Post by bigstef »

1. STEVENS
2. THOMPSON
3. VICKERY
4. BORTHWICK (Captain)
5. JONES
6. FORRESTER
7. MOODY
8. CORRY (i know Ward-Smith is a better player at the moment but Cozza's hardly been on his best run of form has he)
9. RICHARDS
10. LAMB
11.CUETO
12. BARKLEY (KICKER) (amazed this man has been ignored)
13 TAIT (SMith if he ever Re-finds his form Sigh*)
14.SACKEY (Or Varndell if likewise like Ollie he starts re-finding some form and develops better)
15. LEWSEY (Still unsure about him he lacks Passion and drive and cannot kick would prefer to see him at 13 however there really is no-one else)
Liamsdad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Liamsdad »

Bunchy wrote:that side wins the Andy Robinson award for playing people out of position
Forrester is a number 8 !!!
This was part of the Barnes and Morris grand plan too. Forrester and Ward-Smith would swap at 6 and 8 depending on the situation. Their idea was a highly mobile back row that was first to the ball so it wouldn't matter if it was lightweight.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Liamsdad wrote:
Bunchy wrote:that side wins the Andy Robinson award for playing people out of position
Forrester is a number 8 !!!
This was part of the Barnes and Morris grand plan too. Forrester and Ward-Smith would swap at 6 and 8 depending on the situation. Their idea was a highly mobile back row that was first to the ball so it wouldn't matter if it was lightweight.
OH MY GOD !!!!!! :x
Less is more....
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Do people seriously believe that Thompson is better than Chuter or Mears?

I mean he's really contributing to Saints surge up the table isn't he?

I would stick with Mears and Chuter and leave Thompson and Cohen where they belong with their clubs.
keef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by keef »

i for 1 think that dewi and barnsey are right! its good to see no tigers in the england squad, we can get about the business of winning the premership and only losing minimal numbers of players to international duty!imagine no losses to the england squad(where a fly 1/2 of ours warms the bench!) during the six nations. we will only lose a few to other nations and not have our squad decimated.

i do feel sorry for the english tigers players tho.cozza was great i thought and how is thopson better than chuter was??moody was moody as always,whity was good and goode bossed the game the was charlie should have!

i fact the tigers players made that team,without them how much worse would it have been?
The Future's Bright,The Future's Stripey!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: Barnes and Morris Selection Policy

Post by dailywaffle »

Liamsdad wrote:Just been listening to Stuart Barnes and Dewi Morris on SKY Sports News discussing the future of England. In summary

Martin Corry to be sacked as England captain. He's a yeoman but ultimately not good enough.
Phil Vickery to play at 3 and be captain.
Steve Thompson to be hooker. Chuter and Mears haven't done enough.
2nd Row to be Tom Palmer and Chris Jones as they are so mobile.
Back Row of Forrester,Ward-Smith and Rees or Lund at 7.

Richards or Perry at 9
Lamb at 10
Flood or Allen at 12
Tait at 13
No names suggested for 11,14 or 15.

Whilst I can applaud the idea that England need to bring in fresh players are Tigers such an old fashioned/poor team that we cannot provide anyone that can be considered for selection?
Corry's position as captain is untenable, like it or not, so agree with M&B there.

Thompson and Chuter is a close call, Thompson would get the pick if they are worried about a lack of grunt elsewhere.

One of Palmer or Jones maybe, but both is too powder puff.

Back row is, err, ambitious. Ward-Smith is probably over-hyped, but deserves a shot. Lund or Rees at 7 is obvious, but we struggle at 6. Should be Moody, but like all Tigers internationals he has gone backwards. Forrester is a great footballer but is very lightweight, no way you could play him with that 2nd row !

Agree with M&B re SH - who else is there ?

A midfield of Lamb, Flood/Allen and Tait would get absolutely muthered. We'd score a few tries, but be absolutely taken apart in the process. Lamb or Allen, or Allen or Tait, but for heaven's sake not all 3 !
Big Bad John
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Big Bad John »

Cueto is overrated and needs to be dropped asap! I dont think I have ever seen him make a tackle or contribute to yards gained, he only seems to appear when we get within strolling distance of the opponents try line!!!
Get Some Baby!
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Sorry, but Thompson has to go.
One of the roles as a 2 is to be able to throw in straight.
He doesn't do that consistently enough.
If Corry, Kay, Moody are to be scrapped, then Thomo has to go too.
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Big Bad John wrote:Cueto is overrated and needs to be dropped asap! I dont think I have ever seen him make a tackle or contribute to yards gained, he only seems to appear when we get within strolling distance of the opponents try line!!!
Which is exactly what a good winger does........remember Campese? (hardly a model for defensive stability but what a try scorer) :D
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

I think the AAutumn has undelrined that the days of old fashioned beefy slow forwards like the Leicester English forwards is gone.

BArnes is about right. To be honest the only player at Leicester who is english and should be anywhere near the England squad is Moody.

Powderpuff forwards is the way the game is going the days of heavy weight packs are going fast. WE need athletic locks and props with good hands.

Sorry folks I think Barnes ia about right.
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

We have got athlectic props who are not only good in the tight but also good all round footballers, neither of them are English however. Ayerza and Castro have both shown that they've got good hands as well as destroying opposition in the scrum.

If this is the new way England are going to go then yes, Moody is the only Leicester player who can fight for international honours at the moment. However, Hamilton would be there if he hadn't gone futher north, Crane and Croft are excellent all round footballers and future Engl;and players, as are the Deacon brothers and Luke Abraham. I wouldn't worry about us just yet.

They did have something good to say about Crane and Humphreys tonight though, I hope Pat was watching!
Ed
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Well listening to the Rugby Show last night I thought I heard both Barnes & Morris being VERY complementry about the Tigers. :D

Something along the lines of "Wasps coach talking out of his a**e anf the fact that the Tigers had completely outplayed a GOOD Wasps team"

Maybe there is hope for them!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

<<<< 15. LEWSEY (Still unsure about him he lacks Passion and drive >>>>

!!??
Lewsey? JOSH Lewsey? Lacks passion and drive? Are you sure you’ve got the right guy?

<<<< Do people seriously believe that Thompson is better than Chuter or Mears?
I mean he's really contributing to Saints surge up the table isn't he?
>>>>

Saints results this season WITH Thompson – 5 wins, 5 losses.
Saints results this season WITHOUT Thompson – 1 win, 7 losses. That one win against an understrength Leicester.
The 5 tries he’s scored in those 10 games have come in handy, too…

The thing about picking England squads and leaving out all the Tigers is that the selection, continuity and results have all been so bad that it is possible to argue for or against ANY player in ANY position. It was just to Leicester’s misfortune that there have been so many Tigers in the squad associated with these failures.

Had the likes of Corry, Kay, Chuter, Moody etc been injured for the AIs you can be pretty sure the results would have been the same and Tweedledum and Dummer would have been calling for their return.
simparms

Post by simparms »

Nabuk wrote:For what it’s worth, when/if fit…..

1. SHERIDEN
2. THOMPSON
3. VICKERY (Capt)
4. Craig GILLIES ( I know he was born in jockland but he played for England A’s)
5. JONES
6. FORRESTER
7. REES
8. WARD-SMITH
9. ELLIS
10.LAMB (WILKINSON if he ever gets fit!)
11.CUETO
12. ALLAN
13 TAIT
14.SACKEY
15. LEWSEY

Andrew Sheridan is :censored:, shouldnt even get a sniff of the freshly cut grass at england training; and the second row and back row look extremely mobile, but would we be sacrficing a significant amount of power and brute force? the scrum would get pushed backwards...
SiMpArMs - Tigers for life
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Yes... to lightweight a second row. Gillies shouldn't be there. He's a fantastic lineout forward, but offers little else round the pitch compared to equally effective lineout operators like Nick Kennedy and (especially) Chris Jones.

Ward-Smith is massive, however, and Forrester has bulked up by a stone. He's still fairly light for an 8, but not a flanker.

Sheridan is not that bad. Certainly England's second best loosehead. Behind Stevens.