Pat to rest England players

Post by tigerman »

Just read this in the Leicester Mercury

http://tinyurl.com/y9zlrs
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

A lot of people on here, myself included, might criticise Pat alot for his decision making and his player selections, but when you read a story like that you can't help but admire him. He has the welfare of his players at heart and he is intent on looking after, and for that, all you can do is support him and applaud him.

Well done Pat, good call.

Ps. You had better win on Saturday now!!!
Panda

Post by Panda »

The fact is win or lose on Saturday doesn't matter.

The real skill was back in September to identify that 2 bonus point wins against dragons and Worcester would make this game against Northampton irrelevent. Achieving that left Pat with all the options.

Coming off the back of 4 weeks of Internationals and in advance of 2 back to back HC games smart thinking !!

I wont even complain that I have paid full whack for tickets thinking it may be a winner takes all route to the semi final
the wasp squasher

Post by the wasp squasher »

with the amount pressure these plsyers have been under, they need a rest.

i hope they will be ready for the game in france, cos if lose that we are as good as out the HC. as for a loss on sat(not that im saying we are going to lose.) is not the end of the world.(or is it??)
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I may be a critic of Pat Howard, but on this occasion I think he has done exactly the right thing. Well done Pat (goodness, what's come over me :shock: ).
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I had said elsewhere I would play the Eng. Internationals to get them back in the winning habit before the HC .. but I respect PH's judgement ... I hope they are taking this week and next as prep for HC and Saints is just a training game in the build up.. i am sure they will be
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Or from a cynical point of view.....................it's a "dead" match so who cares, it's an ideal opp. to blood some new players.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Here here to all the positive posts - vey rare on here nowadays !!!

In my honest opinion - we should always respect the views of the person who is closest to the players - Pat, and not judge every decision he makes as " well I would not have done that " because we can never ever be in posession of all the facts.
Also, very few (if any) of us have played pro rugby and therefore how do we know what it takes out of a player week in and week out ?
Less is more....
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

given the significance of the game competitionwise (zilch for both sides) this seems a reasonable position to take.

i suspect grayson will be similarly pragmatic with some of his selections - we need to get back into the groove and the matches against parma should be the way to do this, not saturdays game. i suspect a tigers win :evil:

sadly saints seem to be following the template of the last 2 seasons, spend the first half of the season digging a hole, and the second half seeing if you can climb out of it :roll:

still, at least its character building, this supporting saints lark :wink:
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

It is not a dead match! It is one where the shirt and pride will be hotly contested by both sides for their own reasons. It is a local derby and as such each side will what to make a statement. The Tigers that has been playing these past weeks should get the start as a matter of course, they deserve it, have trained for it and have the right to make the point to the returning players that if they want a place in the XV then they are going to have to work for it. It also gives PH the chance to re-introduce the returnees from the bench and ready for the next two HC games where they need 10 points.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
KarenH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KarenH »

TigerCam wrote:It is not a dead match! It is one where the shirt and pride will be hotly contested by both sides for their own reasons. It is a local derby and as such each side will what to make a statement. The Tigers that has been playing these past weeks should get the start as a matter of course, they deserve it, have trained for it and have the right to make the point to the returning players that if they want a place in the XV then they are going to have to work for it. It also gives PH the chance to re-introduce the returnees from the bench and ready for the next two HC games where they need 10 points.
Brilliant post mate, hope the young Tigers are reading this
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

boondock wrote:given the significance of the game competitionwise (zilch for both sides) this seems a reasonable position to take.

i suspect grayson will be similarly pragmatic with some of his selections - we need to get back into the groove and the matches against parma should be the way to do this, not saturdays game. i suspect a tigers win :evil:

sadly saints seem to be following the template of the last 2 seasons, spend the first half of the season digging a hole, and the second half seeing if you can climb out of it :roll:

still, at least its character building, this supporting saints lark :wink:
i dont think i have ever been so happy to be wrong about something. :wink:

as i say it was of little strategic significance and neither side put out their strongest team out. it was 'only' pride and temporary bragging rights at stake, but i'll take them.

COME ON YOU SAINTS (OH, & THE WANDERERS TOO!)