new england coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markrodgers
Top Cat
Top Cat

new england coach

Post by markrodgers »

i see will carling thinks martin johnson would be the ideal solution.
what does everyone think.
i cant see him wanting it to be honest.. although it would be great
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

Johnno has made it clear on many occasions that he doesn't want to do it (interview on rugby club a couple of weeks ago)
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Just because Johnno was a great player, captain and hero doesn't mean that he would make a great coach. It would almost be mean to chuck him into the top job staright away maybe Brian Ashton after what he did at Bath.
Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmo »

I can't see it and personally hope he doesn't. He needs time as a Club Manager/Coach first. If he's ready for a return I'm sure there's a vacancy at somewhere called Welford Road.

I am a bit worried that he's entered the debate though. It feels like something's on the cards.

Many a great player have been turned on by fans that soon forget previous achievements. Do we want Johno remembering that way? I sure don't. How long will it be before the prawn sandwich brigade turn on John Wells too? He was sitting next to Robbo in the crosshairs on Saturday.

We've got football mentality "booing" at Twickenham, how long before the Rugby fans turn on the great players like they have McClaren in football.
Simmo
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

I found the booing at Twickenham on Saturday most unpaletable, and accordingly refused to join in.

Unfortunately, whomever the RFU get has 2 major tasks to undertake;

1) Remaster the England Squad into the world beaters we should be.

2) Make the England Rugby fans believe in him.

Neither will be easy.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

As has been stated on other threads....let Johnno at least get some club experiance first as a manager!
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Jonno as an england coach no way ,but do we reallly need another coach with Ashton and Wells in place. However if you are looking for a figure head to manage a side and unite fans and players alike behind an england team I can think of no body better, and i'll tell you now he is the last person the southern teams would want to see in charge of the england set up
scuff

Post by scuff »

i know people say just because he was a great player doesnt mean he will make a good coach, but why dont people look at it the other way round When Deano and Wellsy took over people were worried that they didnt have the experience and would they be able to change from playin with players to coaching them and they did it and we had our most successful time under them. So why cant Johnno do the same?
Liamsdad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Liamsdad »

If MJ is as canny with this decision as he was with decisions on the pitch he won't touch it with a barge pole. Let's face it the team is in disarray. We are only just over 2 months from the 6N and less than 12 from the world cup. There is no way we will be able to put on a performance to match our holders tag so we will not look good. MJ is surely not daft enough to start a new career with a string of losses.
I expect to see Rob Andrew do the management side and leave the coaching to Ashton, Wells and Ford. After the World Cup with a 4 year contract up for grabs then expect to see more names enter the fray.
Anthony
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony »

Simmo wrote: We've got football mentality "booing" at Twickenham, how long before the Rugby fans turn on the great players like they have McClaren in football.
I don't understand this football mentality thing. I was at both games and also did not feel the need to join the booing, but surely people are entitled to voice their opinion about what has happened to their national side?

Or are we all supposed to keep a stiff upper lip and pretend everything is all okay?

I don't like it don't get me wrong, but it is not the so-called football mentality that is causing the booing, its the performance of the side.
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Simmo wrote:
We've got football mentality "booing" at Twickenham, how long before the Rugby fans turn on the great players like they have McClaren in football.
As has been said before the fans, in the main, booed AR. There were a few occasions when individuals got booed but only after a particularly inept bit of play.

and btw not sure I'd equate McClaren with being a great player.!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

I think what is needed is a stop gap manager. for the next 18 months - Two Six Nations and One world Cup. If Johnson came in he would inspire the crowds and players but couldn't live up to the hype and level of expectancy.

A suitable candidate would be someone like Nigel Melville. I think he would give the right level of expectancy. Give him the remit and budget to call in senior players as consultants. If Johnson, Dangly, Leonrad, Back feel they have something to offer I think England would be mad not to listen.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Something I came across re Gatland:

"Waikato Rugby Union chief executive Gary Dawson does not expect Warren Gatland to succeed Andy Robinson as England head coach.
Former Ireland and Wasps boss Gatland has been touted as a possible replacement for Robinson, who is expected to leave the post today.
But Dawson insisted the man who led Waikato to the Air New Zealand Cup this year and has recently been appointed as assistant coach to the Chiefs would reject any advances from the RFU.
Dawson told The Waikato Times: 'I'm not expecting him to spring anything on us at all. There's nothing in this story.'
Gatland is still highly regarded in the northern hemisphere after overseeing Wasps' rise to the pinnacle of European and English rugby, winning three successive Premiership titles and the Heineken Cup in 2004"

Not that the above necessarily means anything re a long term appointment, but it would suggest that Warren won't be a short-term bet.
HurlerOnDeDitch

Post by HurlerOnDeDitch »

adamv6 wrote:

Remaster the England Squad into the world beaters we should be.

When did being world beaters become a right?

I think you will need to find quite a few new players and about half a dozen leaders before that will even become a possibility, never mind a reasonable expectation.

By the way, I don't know whether they are still on good terms, but I think a management team of Richards and Johnson could provide you with the kind of leadership and strength you have been missing at the top level for the last 3 years.
I hope that the ERFU have other ideas :wink:
To the Brave and Faithful, Nothing is Impossible!
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

HurlerOnDeDitch wrote:
adamv6 wrote:

Remaster the England Squad into the world beaters we should be.

When did being world beaters become a right?

I think you will need to find quite a few new players and about half a dozen leaders before that will even become a possibility, never mind a reasonable expectation.

By the way, I don't know whether they are still on good terms, but I think a management team of Richards and Johnson could provide you with the kind of leadership and strength you have been missing at the top level for the last 3 years.
I hope that the ERFU have other ideas :wink:
maybe not a right an expectation and who is the ERFU...??
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal