Musings re Tigers' current position

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Musings re Tigers' current position .

Post by mike »

Yes you're probably right about Humphreys getting his chance just because of Burke's injury ! . The forward signings of Ayerza , Castro and Crane have proved to be excellent but there have been no quality signings of backs for years ( a fe w bad re-signings as well ! )
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I forgot to mention ..... we have also conceded more points than any other team in the top 7, which might be a reflection of our coaching and defensive organisation when the other side has the ball.
ChrisNottm

Post by ChrisNottm »

In the interests of honesty and as one of those at wasps on Sunday that was one of the best performances from the side for ages and was actually a joy to watch.

Results and position aside how many games can you honestly say you have gone away from thinking that , not just over this season but the past two?

The forwards signing during the summer were excellent but the club was, and is, crying out for some creative backs (anyone remember Austins statement after the Premiership final defeat).

The signing of burke was an attrocious one from the start and plenty of people said that from the start not just in hindsight. The standard of our back play is only exceeded in a lack of creativity by that of England. For once I believed we have found a fly half in Humphreys who's last two performances have been awesome in every way - but who's betting he will be dropped for the return of AG who at least half the supporters dont rate!!!

I agree that we have won in spite of Pat Howard not because of him. His substitutions against Worcester were awful and we could have lost that game and its not the first time that things should have just been left.

I applaud the efforts of the players over the past four games and could not have wished for third place - but im not alone in thinking that its the Emperors clothes and something just isnt right. Before Sunday and Wasps had anyone else thought that the players werent enjoying themselves? ?
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

ChrisNottm wrote: The forwards signing during the summer were excellent but the club was, and is, crying out for some creative backs (anyone remember Austins statement after the Premiership final defeat).

The signing of burke was an attrocious one from the start and plenty of people said that from the start not just in hindsight. The standard of our back play is only exceeded in a lack of creativity by that of England. For once I believed we have found a fly half in Humphreys who's last two performances have been awesome in every way - but who's betting he will be dropped for the return of AG who at least half the supporters dont rate!!!

I agree that we have won in spite of Pat Howard not because of him. His substitutions against Worcester were awful and we could have lost that game and its not the first time that things should have just been left.
Could not agree more.............
kelso.
Tiger Cub

Post by kelso. »

i agree on this one - yes goode is a great kicker in both aspects (i dont mind him as a player), but Humphrey's has got the skills to finally add to our game that which has been lacking for the last coupla seasons - an exciting backline

at least give him a chance - did wonders for gloucester

im also very excited about the prospect of Jordan Crane - he should be a 1st choice back row man for us now
"in such an ugly time...the real protest is beauty"
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:

Post by Dangerous4 »

Bud wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:45 pm The summer signings have been excellent. We really needed a number 8 to push Corry and to stand up during the international period, which we've now got with Jordan Crane. He really outclassed Dallaligo yesterday, with Pat even calling for England to be looking at him.

The international period has allowed players to stand up and be counted. It's clear now that Humphreys is now our clear second choice at flyhalf, and with some more time could even be pushing Goode. Crane, Abraham and Jennings could easily be our first choice backrow now, and it's going to be tough for the internationals to get back into the side.

Look at this international period compared to the last. Last year we lost at Worcester, Sale and Newcastle and this year we won three out of four, including beating Wasps away. This can only be a good thing for the team, showing our great strength in depth. I honestly believe that this year could be special for us. I think we've got the strongest pack in the GP and some exciting backs.

Oh how times have changed! :smt022
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Re:

Post by TigerCam »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:04 pm
Bud wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:45 pm The summer signings have been excellent. We really needed a number 8 to push Corry and to stand up during the international period, which we've now got with Jordan Crane. He really outclassed Dallaligo yesterday, with Pat even calling for England to be looking at him.

The international period has allowed players to stand up and be counted. It's clear now that Humphreys is now our clear second choice at flyhalf, and with some more time could even be pushing Goode. Crane, Abraham and Jennings could easily be our first choice backrow now, and it's going to be tough for the internationals to get back into the side.

Look at this international period compared to the last. Last year we lost at Worcester, Sale and Newcastle and this year we won three out of four, including beating Wasps away. This can only be a good thing for the team, showing our great strength in depth. I honestly believe that this year could be special for us. I think we've got the strongest pack in the GP and some exciting backs.

Oh how times have changed! :smt022
Bye 'eck!! :smt022 :smt022
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Musings re Tigers' current position

Post by strawclearer »

AUSTIN HEALEY: "The side who would benefit most from going down is Leicester - they need to reset because their culture is broken."

You can read the article here - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... re-broken/ - I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the Torygraph!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He's right!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:41 am AUSTIN HEALEY: "The side who would benefit most from going down is Leicester - they need to reset because their culture is broken."

You can read the article here - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... re-broken/ - I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the Torygraph!

I really don't think he's right, but there again he could be :smt102
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

He's biased, as nobody is going to ask him to be DOR. As the greatest ever England/Leicester player :smt002 I have always found his ego to get in the way of sensible comment.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

He wants Tigers to be relegated to prove his point to the board.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I would have thought the current position of the team in the league, with the relegation fight to come, will have been enough of a shock to everyone. They don't need relegation.
As Good As It Gets
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Austin Healey is only saying what 90% of all Tigers supporters are saying !!!

Its 110% true, and no Club is too big .

Please you Happy Clappers, look at French Giants who have disappeared off the horizon.
Biarritz, Perpignan, Beziers ,Bourgoin, and others following the same path.

Rugby has become like Nancyball and the Tigers Board are still entrenched in their old mantra, a forgotten era..

A bit like Theresa May, some need to go. Fast.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:19 pm He's biased, as nobody is going to ask him to be DOR. As the greatest ever England/Leicester player :smt002 I have always found his ego to get in the way of sensible comment.

Yes he's always had a big ego, but he wouldn't be Austin without it. :smt004