Hodgson and Sheridon out for season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rlinksteve
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Hodgson and Sheridon out for season

Post by Rlinksteve »

BBC have just reported that both players will miss theremainder iof the season..

Hodgson - Cruciate knee ligament damage

Sheridan - Broken ankle and ligament damage.

Lookd like Goode will benefit from the loss of Hodgson
Tom_Naz the Tiger

Post by Tom_Naz the Tiger »

If i were a Sale fan i would not be happy at all
fierysam

Post by fierysam »

What I think is pretty disgusting is that as soon as a player gets injured while playing for England, they are shipped straight back to their clubs for assessment and rehab.... no forgive me if I'm naiive, but the amount of money that the RFU make in one international alone, surely they can provide top notch initial care and assessments for these players?? Take this weekend, the cheapest tickets were £45 x 81,500 (approx attendance) = 3,667,500......... now wouldn't you think they could take care of the players???
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

They aren't "shipped straight back to their club". Sale chose to take them back asap for attention.

And as for the bill, the RFU pick it up if it happens while the player is playing for his country, not the club.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

<<They aren't "shipped straight back to their club". Sale chose to take them back asap for attention. >>

I'm not surprised. The last time Sheridan was injured playing for England, they didn't inform the club, picked him for the next match, and put him out of action for months.
fierysam

Post by fierysam »

I stand corrected - wrist firmly slapped and shall return to my corner.........
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

fierysam wrote:What I think is pretty disgusting is that as soon as a player gets injured while playing for England, they are shipped straight back to their clubs for assessment and rehab.... no forgive me if I'm naiive, but the amount of money that the RFU make in one international alone, surely they can provide top notch initial care and assessments for these players?? Take this weekend, the cheapest tickets were £45 x 81,500 (approx attendance) = 3,667,500......... now wouldn't you think they could take care of the players???
In defence of RFU Charlie went to hospital Saturday evening for a scan and didn't wait until he got back to Sale for an assesment.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hodgson has had a terrible time of late, his form started to dissapear at the Ospreys v Sale game, booed at Twickers and now this. And poor old Sheridan seems to getting more than his fair share of injuries at the moment. I feel for them both, and hope they make a good recovery.

England were already paper thin at 1 and 10, obviously not good news for the 6 Nations (and RWC preparation ?). I have no real idea who is good enough to play at 1, and 10 is a real dilemna. Goode is the obvious stop-gap; but do we pick Flood, Lamb or Cipriani for the 6N ?
TigerTimmy

Post by TigerTimmy »

If fit Barkley should play 10. Unless Goode manages to convince AR otherwise I think this will be the most likey thing to happen.
www.myspace.com/polarbeauty (Random electronic doodlings)
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

TigerTimmy wrote:If fit Barkley should play 10. Unless Goode manages to convince AR otherwise I think this will be the most likey thing to happen.
I know it was only one game, but Barkley was awful against Bristol at the weekend. Had an absolute shocker.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

dailywaffle wrote:Hodgson has had a terrible time of late, his form started to dissapear at the Ospreys v Sale game, booed at Twickers and now this. And poor old Sheridan seems to getting more than his fair share of injuries at the moment. I feel for them both, and hope they make a good recovery.

England were already paper thin at 1 and 10, obviously not good news for the 6 Nations (and RWC preparation ?). I have no real idea who is good enough to play at 1, and 10 is a real dilemna. Goode is the obvious stop-gap; but do we pick Flood, Lamb or Cipriani for the 6N ?
I feel really sorry for both players and I agree we are paper thin at 10, but I do not agree that about loose head, I personally believe that the England scrum is weaker with Sheridan, he makes the front row unbalanced, just because he can bench press more than any other international rugby player doesn't make him a good prop, I believe with 3 front rows all of about the same height is better than having Sherian's 6" 5 in there.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
The Countess of Welford
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by The Countess of Welford »

I too feel very sorry for Hodgson.
Sheridan has struggled with numerous injuries over the last year. Whilst being incredibly strong,I often wonder whether his height puts him at risk of getting more injuries in the front row? :?
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

Really bad news for the players and the club, and can especially sympathise with having players away on international duty.
Ed
nursy
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by nursy »

I don't think anyone wishes ill of any player in either the premiership or the international stage, but I have a feeling that the six nations will be rather poor for the english and Italy must be favourites to take a victory against the English. Bring on another Calcutta cup victory for the Scots.
As for playing Goode or barkley, neither could keep pace with the welsh duo or the Irish. Whoever talks about Cipriani at this stage is having a giggle.
There does need to be a re-structuring of the league system and perhaps the development games should be included as the home or away fixtres and play them mid-week!!!!!
kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

Hodgson has been unfortunate, he has been the best fly-half in England for ages. Having said that, now is the time for someone to step up. There is no Johnny, his shadow hung over Hodgson from day one, but who takes the 10 shirt now has a clean chance.

We don't need the best fly-half in the world, we need someone who will go in and do a good job consistently. If we get this right at 9, 10 and 12 then we'll be fine.