Your greatest playing moment

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kuzza
Super User
Super User

Your greatest playing moment

Post by kuzza »

There's loads of talk here about the awful rugby results we've suffered. England last to Argentina and the Tigers Academy lost to Saracens, it's all very upsetting, but...

Why not cheer ourselves up by recalling our greatest rugby moments. They don't have to be moments by the stars, it can be your own wonderful on-pitch performance.

I have two:

One is Johnno taking the ball into contact to set up Wilkos drop goal to win the World Cup.

The other is me receiving a tap penalty just outside the opposition 22, taking the ball at full pace, smashing through the defending opposition flanker and driving a yard short of the line with three blokes trying to drag me down, I presented the ball perfectly and we scored in the next phase! Happy days.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Mrs Underwood dancing with glee as her boy scores for England.
Mid Lander

Post by Mid Lander »

1. The majority of Jonah Lomu's tries, but the one against the french where they seemed to bounce off him is a fave.
legends-international

Post by legends-international »

training with the Mana Island 7s team in Fiji and somehow finding myself on the wing flat footed with nowhere to go. Im useless at rugby, have no turn of pace and frankly even my nan could run faster than me. Suddenly being surrounded by some massive natives I somehow managed to drop my shoulder and gas them on the outside. I've never ran that quicly before or since and still to this day don't know what happened. Beautiful.

from the pros, the individual brilliance of Murphy last year against the Irish when he controlled the high kick with his foot before touching down.
A NEW WORD FOR THE RUGBY VOCABULARY - HAMBO-PRO - AVAILABLE AT www.matthampson.co.uk
Mid Lander

Post by Mid Lander »

Eng v Aus 17 June 2006 - When the ref caught Goode's pass. Hilarious!

You're right kuzza, this has cheered me up.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

79 minutes on the clock, Tigers have a lineout on the half way line...
....won by Kay, tapped down to Hamilton who passes to Healey....
....Healey dummies....and straightens through the gap....
...Draws the full back to the tackle....passes out to LLOYD...
....AND LLOYD IS OVER IN THE CORNER!!!

Tigers 34 Stade 30. What a day. I needed that bit of nostalgia!
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

[quote="legends-international"]training with the Mana Island 7s team in Fiji and somehow finding myself on the wing flat footed with nowhere to go. Im useless at rugby, have no turn of pace and frankly even my nan could run faster than me. Suddenly being surrounded by some massive natives I somehow managed to drop my shoulder and gas them on the outside. I've never ran that quicly before or since and still to this day don't know what happened. Beautiful.

It's amazing what outright Terror can force the body to do :lol: :D

For me it was playing for my club colts (ELY RFC) who at the time were coached by a certain Tony Russ.
We were losing 3-0(well i'm not claiming the game was any good!) to Cambridge colts (our long term enemies) in the final of the County Colts Cup.There was practically no time left and I had just thrown a pass that missed our winger by a mile and went into touch. From the lineout they won the ball and their scrum-half kicked the ball out. Ref blew his whistle, for what ,I have to admit, we all thought was full time. One person on the field however did not,our fullback, who unseen by everyone had thrown the ball into himself ran 40 yards unopposed and scored a try while Cambridge were still celebrating :)
Happy days. I still have a laugh when I think about it now.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Paris, same as Iain. I was there, and the goose bumps are as well.

I have no great memories playing Rugby, (rough game, innit?) except a broken collar bone playing for the Sporting Club of South London in Abingdon v Abingdon School, an event which then ruined my greatest cricket asset, my throwing arm.

Ah the love of Sport.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

As said above, that moment when Geordan showed his utter individual brilliance with the chip ahead, catch and score. Myself, my daughter and our pal were like three utter loonies on the terrace jumping and screaming ourselves hoarse.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
MarkyH

Post by MarkyH »

Many years ago, end of season, the Watford Sevens (a very prestigious contest!). I was the last man in defence, and their (huge) winger had beaten everyone and just had to get round me to score a try...again.

I looked him in the eye as he got closer and could see that he wasn't going to sidestep me, but was going to try and steamroller me. I crouched down, got my shoulder into position and drove it up into his midriff (remembering to wrap my arms around him to make a legal tackle) and pounded him into the earth. The silence of the crowd for that split-second was deafening, and then there was a collective "ooooofff!" and a sharp-intake of breath.

The ball was spilt...my team-mate, Ritchie, pounced on it and sprinted the length of the field to score under the posts.

Get in!
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

It's got to be Paris and that final try. The stadium cleaners trying to get us to go home and the buzz after the game. On a personal level its being tackled and left flat on my back by an abandoned snowman on the pitch at Stratford many winters ago.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Scott Gibbs horizontal at Wembley 11 April 1999 to score against England. Allegedly his landing caused so much damage to the foundations at the old ground that they had to knock it down and they've had problems building it up again.

Also Gibbsy for the Lions dumping Os du Randt on his backside on the 97 tour to South Africa.

On a tigers front - Leons try in Paris.

Oh yeah Argentina beating England at HQ last Saturday.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

1997 - Kings Park Durban - back of the highest stand I have ever been - The Lions had been kept in the hunt by Jenkos boot and 10,000 Brits and irish singing bread of Heaven - Sing low - molly Malone and Flower of Scotland - Then in the final minute Gregor Townsend makes a half break - ruck - ball comes back - no one in the flyhalf channel? oh yes there is - Jerry Gusgott Drop goal - It's over -Series won - Let the singing commence "Oh I'd rather be a lion Than a bok -Oh I'd rather be a lion than a bok" - That night was the party of all parties!

On the playing side I will not bore you with "great scrummages I took against the head" nor will I embarrass myself on the other side with how many times i've had my head shoved up my own backside
Former Prop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Former Prop »

I got the ball in our 22, ran straight, sidestepping at least four players. and racing under their posts with their 2 wingers chasing me. Finally finishing the try with a superb swallow dive. :lol: :lol:

In reality, a maul 5 yards from opposition line I just happened to find myself with the ball in my hands and fell over the line. :lol:

Paris AND Cardiff.
drunky-munky

Post by drunky-munky »

cathching the ball on my own try line- flat footed- saw the blitz from the oppositions winger and simply knocked him over with the hand off OR side stepping a winger from the side of the ruck- ANYTHING to embaress a winger.
[email protected]- feel free to add me anytime! :D

Your not 10 points down- Your 11 points from victory!

South Woodham Ferrers Rugby Club for LIFE!!!!