Your greatest playing moment

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

The sheer brillance of Bents dizzying run for the Lions from the 22. Please watch that it was just absolute calss then and is still now.

Or when Toulose really turn on the flair and pace you just have to stand in awe when they play free flowing rugby.

Me standing on the wing in horizontal hailstones freezing cold hoping for a pass and when it came my fingers were so numb I dropped it.
JB

Post by JB »

As I've mentioned more than one time on this forum the HC final in Paris was the best day of my life full stop!

On a personal note, I was playing for the Stamford College 2s against Aylestone on Vicky Park. We called a 3 Man line out on the halfway line (may have been closer to the Aylestones tryline but it's a story so.....) Up I jumped quick of the top ball to our Scrum half, out it went to outside centre who breaks the line gets hauled down. Nice quickish ball from the ruck out to fly half, to me in the inside centre channel (Having having looped around the fly half) through the line tackled, off load and we score in the far corner. Brilliant. We probably still lost but best try we ever scored.

Cheered up no end now.
JB, Stamford
Hans Hullabaloo

Post by Hans Hullabaloo »

my 4 tries in two games, :D two against wisbech in which i simple had to fall over the line and score, and the next week, two against Mussleburgh B, the first being a dummy to my centre whilest on next to the touchline, their winger falling for it and me running half the pitch and under the posts.
"Everything You Know is Wrong"
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

ive not read all of them - buy jony wilkinson world cup final - drop goal to win it from a cool pass from dawson....god....gets me hot and bothered thinkin bout it now
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

On a pro level that day in November 2003 liquid breakfast with all the neighbours in and England beating 15 Aussies and a Bok.
On a personnel level last game I ever played hooking for The Gate 4ths against Syston, the props on either side of me had a combined age not much short of 100, first scrum on their ball, and I call an 8 man shove. I can still hear the crys of pain as the whole of their front row was lifted off the ground and driven back 5 yards, HAPPY DAYS
I do miss people being given their wings, Number 1 son used to do it when he got angry and you could see the glint in the Refs eyes when they pinged him
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Tigers vs Munster HC Final at the Millenium Stadium. 2 moments really, Oz's try and Peter Stringers face when Backy "accidentally" tapped the ball from his hand.

My own moment, playing against the RAF Fireman squad when I was 18 an flattening their fullback as he came round the blindside. I broke of the back of the scrum and hit him so hard I thought I had pushed all his ribs to one side of his body. The ball shot straight into touch. He didn't play again that game.

Made all the better because he kept telling everyone he went to Clive Woodwards school in Wales and was there "best player" for years.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Irish Tiger

Post by Irish Tiger »

One of the greatest moments was Geordie's Try against London Irish in the semi final of the GP last season...to tap the ball up into his hands while at full speed....class.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Internationally the build up to 'that' drop goal and the sheer euphoria when it went over. I was in an Irish pub - great time.

have to say though there are loads of great memories from the 70s and 80s (being well old enough to remember that far back). too many to pick one out

for Tigers, it has to be the HC at Parc des Princes, the match, the superb atmosphere, the number of Tigers fans all around from the Eurostar station at Waterloo all the way, the friendliness of the Stade fans and teaching one of my travelling companions how to say 'Who ate all the pies?' in French. great day out.

but you're right - was feeling fed up even though it's Friday and we're at home tomorrow, now great memories come flooding back. brilliant thread.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

C-Osprey....that Gibbs try at Wembley came from a penalty given against Tim Rodber that was ridiculous to say the least....wales kicked to touch, line out and the rest are history....that said, how many tacklers miss Gibbs !!??

My personal favourite was JW in the World Cup final 2003....Iain Robertsons commentary is legendary...."back to Wilkinson...he drops for World Cup glory....." (sound of Rob Andrew shouting "YEEEESSSSSSS !!) - excellent....

...my own personal highlight...HMS Mercury against Southampton Uni 4th XV (!)....I was a 2nd row, got up on the right-hand side of the field having been at the bottom of the ruck to see the play on the other side of the field....gently trudged back to where the ball was and on the way, our fly-half mis-cued a kick to touch....into the space in front of me....I picked the ball up and managed to run the 40-odd yards into the corner....the last 5 yards with their full-back hanging onto my back !!
wing commander
Tiger Cub

Post by wing commander »

2 personal ones-playing for the mighty RAF North Luffenham in my first game in the RAF-we beat Leicester Thursday, who contained 3 Tigers (playing out of position), and my ex-flatmate!. (They put 70 on us in the return fixture)

The other one was playing for the even mightier Stamford College (but earlier than JB) when we had 7 players. I played full back and second row-at the same time. Totally knackered, lost, got drunk, no probs.

Paris has to be the best-atmosphere, wine , JBs dad going purple with rage at the ref...happy days! (did we have a meal that night-damned if i can remember)
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

For the team - Leon L at the HC final.
Personally - taking a ball at the line out and touching down JUST before the dead ball line, I forgot the distance and powered forward for yards (well maybe 9).
bigstef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bigstef »

My dummy pass cut inside then throw a dummy switch leaving only a peuny scrum half in my way simple hand off, try of dreams, we lost though
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

on a personnal level - im a second row - so im not the slimest or quickest player, and i was playing no.8 for this game, i did a number 8 pick up on my own 22 (stupid i know) and then (even worse) i ran it open - hand to the face of their scrumhalf who promptly fell backwards into their flanker and i was away - their fly half had dropped back and somehow i managed to dummy him then as i was running towards their fullback he looked ready to drop me - i did a stop dummy turn around him and then ran from the half way for my life - and scored under the posts - nearly passed out after mind lol
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Back in the late 70's, I was playing fuul back against Chester Law College. A mate that I rowed with was playing 2nd row for them as they were short of players. This guy 'Giant' was his nickname, was as big if not bigger that Jamie H, broke through from a lineout on our 22 and made a bee-line for me as I was the smallest in defence. I dodged his hand-off and hit him across the knees and he went down hard only a few yerds from the line. He called me a few names and didn't finish the game.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Stimmo's kick at Forest. Fabulous man. Brought tears to the eyes.

Personal...was a rarity in the 60's. A 6'4" sprinter. Played right wing. No-one at school level would tackle. Scored 5 tries in 40 mins in a house match which was called off at half time as a waste of time!!

Things got tougher at higher levels.