http://tinyurl.com/yxjhxb
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: does England need a haka?

Post by Chobbsy »

Rizzo wrote:Interesting thought. Your views?

http://tinyurl.com/yxjhxb
What we going to do MORRIS DANCE !!!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Matt Dawson could give the team some tips on the tango?
Demelza - another Mother
watso2c
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by watso2c »

Could always try the Hokey Cokey or a Conga. Should leave the opposition confused for the first 5 minutes if nothing else.
Chris
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

They should sing YMCA doing all the actions.

The Kiwis might enter the rucks and mauls with slightly less vigour.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
watso2c
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by watso2c »

How about the Yanks Line Dancing and the Canadians singing the Lumber Jack song.
Chris
Angelo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Angelo »

HAHAHAHAHAHA...and we italians replying with a Tarantella, with a collective umbrella move at the end? Why not... :D
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Actually, the tango would be an incorrect choice nationality-wise - maybe it ought to be the foxtrot.

Seriously, I don't know where these people come up with these odd ideas - it would look utterly ridiculous for Cozza and his boys to attempt any such thing, not to mention embarrassing for them. I seem to recall Mr Cockerill being relatively intimidating on one occasion without the need for a symbolic dance - and I consider the shoulder-to-shoulder stance of our team as stalwart response enough.

What does annoy me is the comment after the game that the Twickenham crowd were "disrespectful" for singing Swing Low during the haka - what, they expect the entire stadium to stand in silence now? How absurd!
Demelza - another Mother
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

I must admit to being one of those who see the haka as having no place in professsional sport. Why should one team stand still in the cold, waiting in for the other team to do its warm up? Out of respect?
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

yes and they should tell Andy Robinson to Haka Offa :!:
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Angelo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Angelo »

Rizzo wrote:What does annoy me is the comment after the game that the Twickenham crowd were "disrespectful" for singing Swing Low during the haka - what, they expect the entire stadium to stand in silence now? How absurd!
i think so. Haka is a tradition, Swing low sweet chariot another tradition. I liked that very much, and i do not think it was disrespectful. A nice answer, Stop.

Much better than last test match in Stadio Flaminio 2004 between Italy and All Blacks, when Haka was covered by Carabinieri (Italian military police) march from the Carabinieri band who was leaving the pitch (it was not their fault poor guys, no order has come to them with the advertise that All blacks have to do the Haka after the national anthems...LOL) ...very comic i ensure you
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

good idea but would'nt work in internatonal rugby. i'm affraid to say the haka and like war dances from now on will be kept in new z and the pacific islands
Tigers forever ! Tuilagi Rules!!
Get well soon Hazza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Tigers
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

For me the Haka is a great piece of theatre and a great prelude to a physical game.

If we get rid of anything it should be the two warblers with microphones singing long versions of the respective national anthems, whilst the players stand shivering and pretending to sing along. It makes me squirm.

The only purpose it serves is enabling TV viewers to go and get a fresh beer out of the fridge before kick-off.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

For me the haka is one of the best sights in sport and should be watched and repected. Properly gets the hairs on the back of your neck standing up. It comes from Maori culture, and is there to lay down the challenge for a fair battle. It may look as though it is pure intimidation but it is in fact more to do with ensuring the opposition come in peace.
And no, England could not possibly have a haka quite simply because we do not have a custom of dance to greet opposition before going into battle, unlike Pacific Nations.
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

I don't mind the Hakka (it's just a bit of theatre), what p's me off is that EVERY response gets branded as 'disrespectful' by the New Zealanders.

In my view every nation has the right to react to a war dance in whatever way they feel fit. Campese had the right idea - ignore it and kick a ball around behind the 22 while they were doing it.

Singing Swing Low is a valid response in my book :twisted: