League Table

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

League Table

Post by Iain »

Yes we sit fifth, but only 2 points off the top. Just wondered if the doom and gloom residents of this board who seem to think Pat is directing us to an aimless meander to mid-table mediocrity have anything to say about this? Four wins and one draw from your first six games is a very good return, perhaps we should be pleased with this and not sniping at Pat, which a fair few have been doing all season.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Our league position hasn't bothered me yet as we only have to get in top 4 to be in with a chance of winning the GP. Whats bothered me more is the performance is our performances in both the GP & HC - we don't appear to have a cutting edge to finish teams off.

Other than the EDF games, this was our first bonus point win of the season.

Interesting look about the table though: positions 1-5 are separated by 2 points, then there's a gap of 7 points down to London Irish in 6th with next 5 positions being separted by 3 points and two teams battling to avoid the drop.

Not sure if the 7 point gap between 5 & 6 can be breached even at this stage in the season.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
tigermilo

Post by tigermilo »

Well Mr Moderator, I think that although we won yesterday the same old problems surfaced throughout the afternoon.
Some chronic decision making, the inability to pass accurately when under pressure, absolutely no control from No 10 ( until SV took over ) and giving away tries to teams who look out of it.
If you keep those tinted glasses on, and don't examine the performance not simply the result you see whats missing.
And one last point, since when did making criticism of the coach or the way we played make you less of a fan?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Iain, I think there is a lot of very constructive criticism about the way Pat manages the squad on here.

I think you are sniping (to coin a phrase) at those posters who want to see the best possible rugby at the Tigers, and have Tigers' best interests at heart.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Spot on Waffle.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

What about the 2nd half indiscipline that resulted in a peanlty count of 10-2 against? With a squad like we have we should be dispatching sides like Worcester with greater ease when leading 30-0!

Can't agree with earlier comments thatwe had no direction at 10 until SV took over. It seems to me that Paul Burke cannot do anything right in some peoples eyes. He got the line moving, never failed to make touch and was instramental (along with Gibson) in making TVs try. I thought it was a solid performance and he was not responsible for any points against as happened to a certain Goode last week.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

tigermilo wrote: If you keep those tinted glasses on, and don't examine the performance not simply the result you see whats missing.
of course, because I forgot that the laugue table goes on performance and not results :wink:

we are performing, we are acheiving the aim of the sport, which is to score more points than your oponent

I'd be more than happy to win every game 3-0, if it meant we came away with silverware

A win, Is a win, is a win. simple as :wink:
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

I don't know about tinted glasses, but I'm sure tigermilo requires a pair of normal glasses.

Burke played great yesterday, and we scored 4 tries while he was there. He gets the back line moving much more quickly than we are used to. What's more none of his kicks flew wide of the posts. I watched him very closely, because of all the unfair criticism he has faced on this website.
Tigershaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tigershaz »

Not a bad performance. But there's always room for improvement. Bonus point win is what matters.
Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmo »

I enjoyed yesterday's game....it was nice to see some imagination. It reminded me of a Monday night A League game the way we were trying to play.

It was a shame that Sam missed the right hand post at the A&L end. He managed the left one twice and Burkey hit both posts in front of the Captains Bar....bet they couldn't do that again.
Simmo
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Sniping at/constantly nit-picking at the coach and certain players is pointless and mostly un-called for. Iain 's not saying that by complaining about the coaches you're any less of a fan, although certain regulars on here certainly make me feel I wonder why they're here, let alone claiming to support the team. It is simply that in some circumstances, it makes one wonder what on earth Pat, Cockers and the players have to do to satisfy some people and make them say "well done". Win every match by a huge margin with no penalties given away?

Could we not please have a "be nice to the Tigers" day or something? Just to offset the negativity issuing from certain elements of this board.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Of course we can Rizzo - when we next win something.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I really do feel that there are to many fair weather supporters that attend most home games.
One gentleman said at the point when Burke was replaced at ten by Vesty and i quote:

WELL PAT HAS REALLY LOST THE PLOT. :?

From that point on the gentleman was made to eat his stupid words!
Sam is a great runner with ball in hand and it got us playing in the right half of the pitch again.

Just maybe we all ought to judge the coaching staff at the end of the season and leave them alone to do the talking on the pitch, after all we are trying to build for the future and GREAT TEAMS only come along every so many years, ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY !

Lets get behind the lads, yesterday was a win at the end of the day. :D
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

gkbradley wrote:Of course we can Rizzo - when we next win something.
we won yesterday you know :wink:
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Well I enjoyed the game.
Tigers won.
They made mistakes, then that is the nature of the game. If it was all clockwork then it wouldn't be as exciting. And even if Steve Booth didn't think it was a great game it at least made me feel that the ticket had not been a waste of time. I couldn't even moan about Velcro Hipkiss, he off-loaded a lot better, scored a try and assisted another! There were some "stars" missing after all.
I feel that there have been occasions, in the last few seasons, that the replacement policy has been a bit "en masse" at times. It was unfortunate that shortly after coming on Hickey was carded. Maybe the Worcester boys knew how to wind him up!
Once he was back, and with him Brett Deacon, then I think the balance was restored. The backs seemed to adapt better to substitutions yesterday then the forwards.
Personally I felt that if the subs had been put on 5 to 10 minutes later there would have been a few more points on the board and the lull may not have occurred.
As for penalty, that is an issue that seems to exist with Tigers, other teams seem to either adapt to the refereeing or ensure they convert penalties awards. Stats on the England game bear this out!