Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Alan Lewis hates the Tigers

Post by Simmo »

Yes I know he sent Powell off but......

He didn't listen to any of Cozza's complaints but listened to their's.
He didn't pull them up for lifting Cozza's leg at the linout.
He didn't bin one of them for ripping Chuter's neck back then gave them a Penalty for not releasing.
He let them off with a couple of high tackles (possibly us one).
He shouted for us to release and blew immediately but not them.
He pulled us for offsides but let them off.
He binned Varndell not Ellis presumably because he thought Varndell was more of a threat.

BTW: I'm not against officials.... I thought Wayne Barnes together with David Rose (Rosey) and Stuart Terheege did a brilliant job officiating Munster Bourgoin last night.

PS. I'm not saying we played well by the way.....
Simmo
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

PHEEEEWW! That's all I can say - what a match..

Not good for my health this 8)
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Simmo

Or should that be cyclops ? :wink:

I have no idea if Lewis likes us or hates us, but I think you're just wrong with this bias stuff. All refs miss things (incl Deacon's blatant cheating !), end of.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Simmo, if you actually open your other eye you will see a completely different game.

True, the ref missed the leg pull on Cozza but he also missed the foot by Deacon. He didn't pull either side up on the offences as he couldn't see either of them. Unlike us, the ref doesn't have the benefit of slow motion, close-up TV replays! Did YOU actually see either of the offences until they were highlighted by Sky's replay facility?

He missed high tackles by both sides (and incidentally, not all of those "missed" were actually "high". Occasionally an arm around the neck is the result of a player ducking into a tackle and the tackler isn't doing it intentionally).

He was pretty even-handed on the offsides & on the release in my opinion. We WERE off-side & we WERE slow to release on more than one occasion. Players are supposed to release the ball immediately. If the ref has time to notice the player is holding on, has time to shout to release it and then time to put the whistle to his lips & blow, there is also time for the player to have released the ball.

He binned Varndell because Varndell was guilty! Tom knew it as he was already jogging off the field before the ref even had time to brandish the card! How big an admission of guilt do you WANT?!?

Lewis was not biased. NO referees are. They just cannot physically see everything that 26,000 pairs of eyes & god knows how many TV cameras can.

Watch a game with both eyes open & Tigers-vision turned off and you may actually notice this once in a while.
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

i think alan lewis is a great ref. and yes i was very impressed by the chap who reffed for munster. for a young guy he did really well!
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

well said tjs, you have got it spot on.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

With regard to officials' myopathy can anyone enlighten me regarding an incident that I have seen no comment on - when Goodey chipped and chased and was beaten to the touch down by a Cardiff player the Cardiff player's right foot was at least a foot out of play. Does that not mean that he effectively took the ball out of play. The touch judge was right there so I presume I am wrong, but clarification could make me an even better telly ref!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

We said exactly the same ads.

Clarification from someone with a rule book please?
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

With all due respect Simmo, that is nonsense. Total and utter.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

westy154 wrote:With all due respect Simmo, that is nonsense. Total and utter.
The bit about the Officials at the Munster game is spot on though. The rest I agree is incredible. The bit about Varndell is outrageous. :roll:
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

<<<He was pretty even-handed on the offsides & on the release in my opinion. We WERE off-side & we WERE slow to release on more than one occasion. Players are supposed to release the ball immediately. If the ref has time to notice the player is holding on, has time to shout to release it and then time to put the whistle to his lips & blow, there is also time for the player to have released the ball. >>>

Actually, the original poster's slightly one-eyed and paranoid rant did contain a seed of truth in relation to different interpretations of ‘not releasing’. I had no complaints with the majority of his reffing as he missed stuff on both sides and was pretty consistent in every other area. When it came to holding on, though, he was very quick to penalise Leicester every time (and I couldn't argue with his calls against us), but the number of clear offences by the Blues that he allowed was staggering.

In the build up to the first try Hamilton was on his feet playing the ball over a pile of Cardiff bodies, one of whom was refusing to release. Eventually he was rucked off and gave the ref a disbelieving look as we’d already been rapidly pinged a couple of times by that point.

When Smith was injured (get well soon, Ollie) Shanklin ripped the ball from him but was caught and driven to the ground by Corry who was on his feet trying to wrestle the ball from the prone Shanklin’s grasp. Eventually the ruck formed around them and the ref gave them the scrum.

Towards the end of the game, when things were getting frantic, Shanklin was on the ground with the ball, Castro on his feet trying to play it, Shanklin holding on, ref shouting “release, release!”, ruck forms... ball comes back on the Blues side and the ref lets it go.

I can’t complain about most of his reffing, as even when wrong (in my opinion) he was at least consistent, which is important. Teams know where they stand in that case. But with the holding on (perhaps due to Leicester’s reputation for slowing the game down?) he was considerably quicker to ping us for it than the Blues.
Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmo »

Looks like I've got it wrong then....nevermind, it's been an interesting debate.
I'll bow to everyone's unbiased view.
Simmo
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

THE REF WAS HIS NORMAL SELF, CONSISTANTLY INCONSISTANT.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

most of them are :)
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Big Bad John
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Big Bad John »

In regard to the Blues Player who had his foot over the dead ball line when fielding Goodies chip beyond the tryline.

I think the Blues player wrongly assumed Alan Lewis would take play back for a Blues Scrum from the point where Goode kicked the ball. Alan Lewis correctly chose not to do this, but instead wrongly gave a 22m drop! Of course we all know it should have been a Tigers 5m scrum, awarded for the Blues player taking the ball beyond the dead-ball line, but thats just another crazy refereeing decision on the day!
Get Some Baby!