For the last season I thought Tom Varnell would be a real quality player
for Tigers and England, unfortunately his form has dropped and with it
his confidence. It reminds me of Leon Lloyd a few years back, he had
everything physically, was even predicted by a few to be the next
Jerry Guscott but sadly lacked the psychological edge to be
a real superstar player. Does anyone think Tom will follow
the same route/ or will he turn the coaches and fans views around
and become a big name for Tigers and England? It would be a shame to see
such talent go to waste again! thoughts....?
Remember that you are a Tigers fan,and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Will Tom be the new Leon? By that if you mean a loyal servant to the club, always giving 100% on the pitch, rarely putting a foot wrong on the pitch save for an 18 month period when he lost form and being one of our most valued squad members for the best part of ten years then yes please!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Iain,

Even a staunch defender of Leon Lloyd must admit he never really fulfilled what many thought to be his potential. He has achieved everything for Leiceaster, but there was a time when it looked only to be a matter of when, not if, he became an England regular.

His size and pace gave him the natural advantages that Tom seems to have, but he never seemed to make that next step up. Much to Leicester's advantage, it has to be said, as he was always there for us... but an underachiever nonetheless.

TV, as a raw and inexperienced kid with gaping flaws in his game has already shown just how far he could go with 2 tries at international level and more than 30 first class scores. Will he step up?

Or will he just win the HEC for us, like Leon...?
King Kong
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by King Kong »

Im not sure about Varndell, its too early to say.
Its happened to Ollie Smith. His chance internationally has passed him by, and I fear he wont get another.
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Shame Varndell didn't get much ball on Saturday, especially towards the end of the match he was beginning to have a lot of space and was screaming out for the ball. Still think he has a lot of confidence and will stay loyal to us just like lloydy. :D
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Iain wrote:Will Tom be the new Leon? By that if you mean a loyal servant to the club, always giving 100% on the pitch, rarely putting a foot wrong on the pitch save for an 18 month period when he lost form and being one of our most valued squad members for the best part of ten years then yes please!
Nice one Iain. Who will ever forget Leon's last try at Parc des Princes - also the fact that he was the most difficult of English backs to wrestle to the floor when caught in possession - usually as the result of receiving a hospital pass ?
AM
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ancientmariner wrote:
Iain wrote:Will Tom be the new Leon? By that if you mean a loyal servant to the club, always giving 100% on the pitch, rarely putting a foot wrong on the pitch save for an 18 month period when he lost form and being one of our most valued squad members for the best part of ten years then yes please!
Nice one Iain. Who will ever forget Leon's last try at Parc des Princes - also the fact that he was the most difficult of English backs to wrestle to the floor when caught in possession - usually as the result of receiving a hospital pass ?
AM
That is the problem reminising about glory days gone by does not do diddly-squat about the game the Tigers need to play today. We can all dig up great moments but looking at the backline at the present it ain't working and Leon is one of those who ain't performing. As for TomV it is up to him. Saturday was not a day for him to play given the conditions. It was heart-warming to see his efforts had improved in his defensive play.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
DTM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by DTM »

Couldn't agree more Tigercam......

I realise I am going to get heavily critisised and slated here, but my frustration is overflowing - please excuse me!

I am a massive Tigers supporter and always will be, but unfortunately we are not the best in Europe at the moment - Yes we have been thats true, but I am getting increasingly frustrated that the board, management and a large proportion of supporters still think we are in the good old days!

We need to open our eyes and wake up and smell the coffee.....

We are a top English team, noting more at this point in tiime

Unfortunately for the club, other teams have improved significantly (teams, grounds, training, game plan +++) and have taken Leicesters crown.

Come on guys lets move on, it's time to build this club back up to its former glory and wipe the floor with the rest of the European clubs.

Rant over, have a nice night.........

Well played on Saturday Goode, Chuter (Englands Hooker - got to be), Kay and good to see Harry back!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Threads referencing Leon are often emotive. He has often been given more stick than he deserves, so some of us rally round Leon when another missile heads his way.

As a result, it becomes difficult to constructively criticise the guy.

He has been a great servant, but great servants come and go. It is the nature of sport. Leon's best days are behind him, but nothing wrong with celebrating his contribution.

I think Tom is shaping up to be another 'contentious' player in some poster's eyes. I fear he will be seen as a hero/villian, with no middle ground. Shame.
JB

Post by JB »

I don't think it can be argued that Leon has fulfiled his potential. Of course he has not. He could have played for England more often, but a combination of lapses in form, injury and the possibility that his face just did not fit.

This is not Leon bashing, he's been a super Tiger. those of us who were in Paris (best day of my life so far) will never forget those two brilliant tries.

As for Tom, come on everyone, lets give him a break. He's just a kid and he is already one of the best finishers in Europe. Of course he is not the best in the world at the moment, how on earh could he be. You can't know it all straight away. Not really sure Pat's handling him that well at the moment, but lest give the guy a break and lets hope that he goes on to be one of the best which he has every danger of doing.
JB, Stamford