Geordan Murphy- Full Back please

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Geordan Murphy- Full Back please

Post by bc »

This will cause a huge backlash I know but I really do wish Tigers will play Murphy at fullback. I am not sure how many other clubs would play and International and Lions full back, consistently on the wing.

I know that the heart says Vesty beacuse he has imptoved and is a good honest player etc, etc but that does not mean he is a better full back than Murphy. Murphy's lines of running and overall skills means that he can bring more people into the game and cause more damage from full back and his positional play is excellent.

Sorry folks Vesty is a good squad player but there is no way he should be keeping Murphy out of the full back position.

By the way, anyone know why Geordan did not play yesterday, he was down to and was in the warm up?
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

The story we were told on Geordie was that he was injured on the day by a ball from Shane Jenning when they were throwing a ball about. It caught him in the eye when he was not looking and he ended up with 80% vision in the one eye hence he was pulled out and Johnie got his chance.

My vote is to keep Sam at full back and play Gordie as wing with Johnie on the other or Tom if he shows the enthusiasm to tackle that he showed on Sunday. The conditions against Munster were as we know very difficult and a few spilled balls from Sam understandable. The way the backs move around in positions I am not sure how much difference it makes but Sam as full back links very well in the Centre. His ability to hold the man and slip the pass is excellent.

I am not worried that ireland play Geordie in a differnt position after all you have to look at the top players you have available and sort out the positions accordingly. Perhaps the reason Farell is now going to have a go at Centre has something to do with Hilly returning to fitness!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

A very unfortunate injury for Geordie there and the lads will have to be more careful. I think though that Geordie is quite prone to injuries anyway. He has to my knowledge played less then half the games we have played so far this season.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

I have said on this forum many times that we must play our best players in their best positions before anything else! So Murphy plays fullback when avaliable, Jennings plays 6 etc etc not difficult is it, if that means good club players like Vesty have to sit on bench then so be it!
Keep standing areas in the new stadium!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I agree, GT1! It is a pity that Pat and Cockers cannot see that. If only Shane Jennings and Andy Goode had started on Saturday. Also, players who are playing decently like Lewis was on Saturday, should not be pulled off as it is bad for their morale, and ultimately the team's morale.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Simon we played on SUNDAY!
But you ask the big question, if we the mere spectator can see the problems then why can`t the coaching staff. Or are they that fixed in their thoughts that they won`t change, maybe they need changing?
Keep standing areas in the new stadium!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I know, SORRY!! :oops: :oops:
scuff

Post by scuff »

I usually stand in the tunnel area before the players arrive and Jonny Murphy arrived with the other players with his kit and blazer etc, so they must have known before then that geordaen wouldnt be available. Also as we had seen geordean warm up with thought the pa man had made a mistake by announcing jonny in the team instead of geordie
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

scuff wrote:I usually stand in the tunnel area before the players arrive and Jonny Murphy arrived with the other players with his kit and blazer etc, so they must have known before then that geordaen wouldnt be available. Also as we had seen geordean warm up with thought the pa man had made a mistake by announcing jonny in the team instead of geordie
i would expect that all the first team guys even if not in the match day line up would bring their kit for this type of problem how many times have we seen an injury in warm up and someone else gets called in at the last moment... so i wouldn't read too much into that...
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
scuff

Post by scuff »

Sad i know but i have stood in there for many years and it is only the players who are playing who bring there kit. The players that are playing always come in there suits. I think that there must have been an injury concern over geordean and they must have been having a fitness test on him. The only other player who came with his kit who wasnt in the squad was John Murphy
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

It's good that you recognise that that is sad, Scuff :wink:
:wink:
bigstef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bigstef »

I really really think we need to look at turning sam back into a fly half
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I think one of the problems we have had is that we have struggled to get two consistently good wingers. Geordie has ended up being the sticking plaster, due to Sam being able to do a job at 15.

I think the emergence of Johne Murphy solves this problem. JM is quite capable of nailing down a starting spot, and Tom V should (IMO) be our other 1st choice wing. This means we can now consider GM for his best position, which is 15.
scuff

Post by scuff »

Its all right saying that Geordean should be starting 15 yes he has advantages there but so does Sam I think Sam is a solid full back he does everything really well there. With all the talk of being consistant, maybe ite better to have Sam at full back as geordie is away for 8 games a season with ireland. Would we really want Sam just to come into the team rusty from not playing?
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

scuff wrote:Its all right saying that Geordean should be starting 15 yes he has advantages there but so does Sam I think Sam is a solid full back he does everything really well there. With all the talk of being consistant, maybe ite better to have Sam at full back as geordie is away for 8 games a season with ireland. Would we really want Sam just to come into the team rusty from not playing?
Sorry Sam, can't agree with you. Same is solid, yes but he was shown up on Sunday as not upto the top level, spills and out of position. Murphy is solid but he also brings flair and running lines.

I agree with others that we are covered on the wings so the question you have to ask is yourself is Vesty or Murphy at full back. I am reasonably confident as to what the majority response will be!