Junior supporters on the crumbie terrace

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Orange Tiger

Junior supporters on the crumbie terrace

Post by Orange Tiger »

Does anybody feel that the first couple of steps / rows (closest to the pitch) on the crumbie terrace should be reserved for our younger supporters?
Rlinksteve
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Rlinksteve »

Why should it be reserved? If you want to get in the front row, you need to get there early like everyone else.
Everybody else pays the same price and it is just tough luck if you end up getting there late.
I think that there are a lot of supportrs who would let smaller kids go to the front so long as they were no obstructing there view.

Perhaps, it should be done on height. Tallest at the bac, like on the old school photos.

There is no need for a family area as there is no danger to the kids unlike the risks of going to a football match.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Sorry but i don't the fans who stnad there wait outside the turnstiles an hour or so before KO if they're that dedicated than they deserve to stand there if people want to get to the front then they should get there early as well and this is from a neutral view i don't stand
Orange Tiger

Post by Orange Tiger »

You missed my point. It is the younger (i.e. shorter) people that I am talking about.

I get round the problem by arriving 1 hour before KO and getting my 3 kids to carry a stool. They then have to stand on a small stool for the entire game to see the action because actually what tends to happen is that fully grown adults like to lean on the barrier and often will NOT allow the little ones to the front to see the game.

I am not asking for a family enclosure, but I do believe we should be encouraging young people to be part of the club.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

To support other comments - It has to be first come first served . I turn up two hours before the game with my family and accept that this is a neccessary evil in order to get a spot at the front. But you often get people who arrive 90 minutes later and expect their kids to allowed to shove in front. Often the only reason for the time of their arrival on the terrace isthe beer drinking of their parents. I agree that we should where practicable always encourange children (its what attracted us to the club in the first place). But even as a parent - I do not expect someone else to queue for two hours to save a place for my children and so do not want to do that for someone else.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I agree with the initial sentiments. An area could be reserved for kids.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

A segregated area could work - but who would supervise it and to be honest I like to be with my family at games.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I don't see why. I've been attending with my daughter (now 15) since she was 5 - and we always took a stool for her when she was small. Nowadays, we try to get there for the gates opening, and if we can - stand against the barrier on the 22 A&L end. (It's easier on my knees and back if I can lean on something!). Yesterday, we moved up to let a young Munster lad in against the barrier, and we almost always let little kids in front of us, or we squeeze up so they can get in.....but since we arrive 2 hours or more before kick off and stand in one place to get a good view, I don't see why anyone should "expect" to arrive later and get let in front of us.

as for the special area for kids - it seems to me that most of them like to be near the dugout/tunnel area if they can - to get a chance to see the players close up - would you advocate making that families/kids only? How do you define the age of the families allowed in that kind of area? If you have kids ranging from 5 to 15 (as I've seen at WR) does that mean the older ones have to stand away from the younger ones?

No, in my book it's first come first served. if people come later and approach and ask nicely, we will gladly let the little ones in front of us if we can - but I personally would not like a family segregated area.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I have a friend who fondly remembers being hoisted on to the shoulders of strangers down to the front at capacity crowds at St James' Park, Newcastle in the 1930's. Adults respected that kids were tiny, and deserved to be at the front. Of course the lucky little lads were separated, temporarily from their Dads etc, but I guess no harm ever came.

Society has moved on though hasn't it:

Now many of use would not dream of exercising such kindness, and

the parent(s) would be mortified to lose sight of the kid, for reasons we do not have to explain.

Not advancement though is it.
**Harry Ellis fan**

Post by **Harry Ellis fan** »

In my opinion there should be some steps allocated to the younger supporters, i think it is unfair when a hugely tall man stands at the front and blocks many people not just the younger supporters. I appreciate that some may be dedicated to getting their early but i think some of the men particularly should be polite and should let the shorter ppl and the younger supporters go to the front.

**Harry Ellis fan**
AV8TOR

Post by AV8TOR »

Amongst our group we have a fully grown lady, whom any day now will celebrate her 40th birthday, who is shorter by far than many of the youngsters that also stand with us. Would she and her slightly older and slightly taller sister be allowed on your children's steps?

Sorry we get there for the gates opening, if you would like to stand in front of us the answer is simple, get seats or get there early.

We DO sometimes allow children to stand in front of us, however, do not assume that by arriving 15 minutes before kick off you can use those "Kids" to get "YOU" a space in front of us as well, you may find out just how big our feet are !
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend.
The Countess of Welford
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by The Countess of Welford »

I think people should let the kids through to see.
It's rude and churlish to expect children to stand behind fully grown adults hindering their view. As our season ticket average age is higher than other clubs(45, I think) we should be encouraging kids to come along and enjoy their experience at WR so they too will want to buy season tickets in the future.
Tigers Tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigers Tiger »

I think you will find our ST avg age is about 65, it is certainly the oldest in the Country !!!!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

there are a LOT of kiddies on the terrace, I regularly see the same family groups there.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Orange Tiger

Post by Orange Tiger »

Some of these replies are very negative towards families and children........why? Surely we should encourage younger members of the community to come and watch our heroes. If a 10 year old kid stands at the front, that child will not impede any ones view. You would not dream of standing in front of somebody in a wheel chair.
Why not leave the first couple of rows available for the kids until KO, then allow gaps to be filled by adults? As for policing, the parents will be a few rows behind....it's not rocket science.

Many youngsters will struggle to get to the ground 2 hours before KO on a Sunday, because a lot are still running around on the rugby field in various parts of the county. Some of these will be our future stars.

Come on you tall people at the front, let the kids get a view. You will still be able to see over their heads, although you may not get to shake hands with the new mascot!!!!