Heroes and VILLAINS

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Watched the game at home on the box (and in the dry) with mini spike and it was edge of the seat stuff. If you were a neutral (and I'm not!) it must stand up with the games against Wasps in the HC, however, I think the pundits on sky got it right Munster played 'cuter'.

We were awesome in the scrums, line-out and we tried just about everything to open the defence. The zig zag move in the centre in the first half was awesome and so very nearly worked.

Our down fall (IMHO) was we got the wrong side of the ref with some stupid silly behaviour which lost us a chance and in total 40 yards. Up until yesterday I can't remember the last time I've seen a ref march a team back like that. One not giving the ball back is bad enough but 2 or 3 in a match is just asking for it.

As for the doom and gloom, we haven't lost at home for a dogs age so to say teams can't go places and win cause its hard is daft. You have to believe. I'm sure the team do. As for me I do and my belief in a number of things is being tested at the minute but that's another sorry. This team can and do win on a regular basis. Its fair to say we stand up to be knocked down by others, it does happen often and I'd suggest Pat and the players are beating themselves up harder than any comments any of us on here might post. They are professional players and a whole host of them yesterday stood up against one of the other 'best' club sides and ran them close. It came down to the smallest of things. A bit of indiscipline and something the ref didn't see. You get games like it, the pity is it was that game.

Yesterday is over, can't change it, the thing about mistakes is to learn from them and don't make them again.

anyway.....
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

SPIKE@srufc wrote:It came down to the smallest of things. A bit of indiscipline and something the ref didn't see. You get games like it, the pity is it was that game.

Yesterday is over, can't change it, the thing about mistakes is to learn from them and don't make them again.
I agree with you Spike but the problem is that we will make those mistakes again, and again and again. For all the good stuff Pat has done since he has been coach, his reign has been blighted by indiscipline. Tigers seem to get embroiled in the silly stuff when they are under pressure and that's where we keep coming up short.

I'm wondering if Pat is too much like 'one of the boys'. I think he could be a great backs coach but I'm not sure if head coach is his true role. I'm not even convinced he really wants the job I think he is doing Tigers a favour because no-one else wants the job!!
PlymouthPaul

Post by PlymouthPaul »

I'm in two minds about PH. Surely Goode's return to form had not gone unnoticed on the training pitch and if so, how could he possibly not have started against Munster? Why did Rabeni not start. How can he bring Varndell back from league one to start such an important game? And was there much point in bringing Ellis on?

I thin k PH has been successful in as much as we have got within touching distance of silverware. But he doesn't appear to have the winning touch. I'm not suggesting turning the clock back, but Dean Richards is still doing well with Hq - straight back to the Premiership and looking like they may well stay in the P'ship, albeit with a struggle. Richards is a proven winner, not so PH.
AND THE TIGERS ARE GETTING HUNGRY....
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I agree about the selections PP, I thought John Murphy was especially unlucky to be dropped and Tom V must wonder whether he is coming or going. As for Burkey, there was a reason why he was 3rd choice at Munster and Goodey was bang in form from the last game. Baffling.

I don't think Deano would ever come back unless the current board were replaced and even then it's not always good to go back.

My ideal choice would be Warren Gatland, did an amazing job at Wasps and is now doing the biz at Waikato - he is a real winner and a humble guy but I don't think he will be coming back up here any time so.

Robbie Deans would be good if we could persuade him to come over :D
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

we've always been in touching distance of the Silverware, Pat hasn't brought anything in to change the dynamics of the team, all you can feel is low morale and contention - same as Cockers what's he brought with him?

Cockers doesn't help matters on the touchline at all, he's in the thick of it too .. Pat isn't on the touchline any longer anyway?

Backy's doing a brilliant job coaching the A Team, get him in and see what he can do, can't understand why Cockers is coaching the 1st team ahead of Backy anyway.

Nobody will ever take away what absolutely fantastic players Cockers and Pat were but Coaches they aint, don't say we're doing well, WE'RE ALWAYS NEARLY DOING WELL AND THIS ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

As for the comment of somebody saying they don't know why Harry was brought on to the pitch at all, well he was brought on because he's got and always has had the edge over Scotty........... Harry's looking sharpe and he was awesome out there, it was a relief to see him back.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
glorob

Post by glorob »

GT1 wrote:I did warn you about the referee!!!
It felt like we were playing sixteen men at times. (he seemed intent on getting a win for his celtic mates)
IMHO we did as well as can be expected with the players we have, they are good solid pro`s but they are just not good enough when it REALLY matters. You can throw blame around as much as you like it won`t make us a better team. Lets remember we were playing the current champions in difficult conditions, their structure allows them to only play in games that matter so they are always fit & ready to go the whole match at near international levels.
Lets hope win can manage to win our next match in Cardiff (no walk in the park as they will now be smelling blood) & at least make the last match in Munster winner takes all!!
I think the ref gave a few dodgy decisions both ways which will always happen at this level.
I spoke to a number of people who could not attend for various reasons and they were universal in their view that the two best teams in Europe based on this weekends performance were in Welford Road yesterday. You would have beaten any other side, it is just your misfortune it was Munster you were up against.
The main difference was we made better use of our scoring opportunities.
What will worry other sides is that both teams still have room for improvement. Leicester need a small bit of work on discipline and handling, we need to get our line out back to what it was. Both sides will sort these issues out without too much difficulty.
The match in Thomond Park in January will be a great rugby occassion. Make sure you all get tickets and come visit us. You will be most welcome.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

The selection of Burke was not criticised "in hindsight". It was a bad call. And the many Leicester fans who were agog at the witlessness of it since the side was announced were matched by the many Munster fans who were delighted to see his name on the teamsheet.

He is not the best 10 at the club. He was brought in as an experienced head in case Goode was off with England. He was not brought in to start major HEC matches, because he's not played at any consistently decent level since his last season with Quins. Even then, they were glad to palm him off on Munster because he was considered over the hill. It was clearly his last, sentimental move back home before finally retiring.

Our signing Burke was as laughable to Munster and Quins fans as it would be to us if Northampton were to suddenly sign Darren Garforth.

Virtually everyone who expressed an opinion said that if anything was going to cost us the game, it would be the selection of Burke. His poor performance, compared to Goode's controlled game, just confirmed it.

No hindsight.

Though on the bright side, it was good to see Varndell in the wet and windy weather, denied time and space, but doing all the things that people would have us believe he can't do - tackling, taking the ball up into contact, catching high balls, etc. No tries, and almost anonymous in attack... but I was rather lifted to see the way he played.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I have to agree with much of the sentiment on here, Pat got it very wrong yet again.

I really could not believe the starting line up when I saw it. Especially Burke ahead of Goode. Never agreed with the signing and at best he is cover when really needed. Also I could not understand why Varndall was back in. Plays some games for Bedford, gets injured and first game back is HC against Munster? Do me a favour. Again he was AWOL for most of the time. Deacon at 6 is just silly - Kay and Deacon 2nd row is so obvious to me ,and many others.

Then we have the stupidity of replacing Moody with Jennings and bringing Rabini on for Gibson rather then Varndall and too late as well. I just despair I really do.

Despite that I thought Tigers outplayed Munster for most of the match, Kaye and Corry especially played well but conceeding soft tries and poor discipline cost us dear. What was Chuter thinking about having a go at Stringer and turning a 5M scrum into a penalty. What an idiot.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Tigers definitely outplayed Munster for most of the game. Referee made a few dubious decisions. Burke missed a couple of kicks that weren't too tricky. All-in-all no really bad performances, Munster just got lucky