Pat Howards Logic - Team for Sunday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Pat Howards Logic - Team for Sunday

Post by iceman_19 »

I still struggle to comprehend Pat Howards thinking in regards to his team selection. I said before that Deacon is not a 6 and should not be used as one, he is a fantastic second row yes, but lacks a flankers mobility. Especially against a forward driven side like Munster, I would have thought the battle on the floor and in the loose is key, and Jennings offers more in this department. I believe we can match them in the forwards and beat them in the backs, but they can only do this if we have quick ball...Deacon does not contribute to this!

Also slightly bemused by selecting Burke at fly half, although he hasn't played badly recently, but would have thought Goode is a safer option. But I'm sure he won't let us down, and I hope he has a good game against his old club.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Deacon isn't a 6.
Moody isn't a 7.
Burke isn't our best 10.

Otherwise (!), no argument with the team selected.
Lozza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lozza »

Seems a reasonably well balanced team to me.......................you can't play everyone - there isn't enough room on the pitch!!!! 8) 8) 8) :twisted:
Lozza

Nothing is Impossible
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

I'm reasonably pleased with the selection. Surprised Burke got the nod over Goode but not disappointed by it. Deacon at 6 - yes he is a lock and that's his best position (IMO he's our best lock by some distance). However, although I think the Moody-Jennings combo is the best on paper, I don't think it works in practice. They are too similar and the backrow lacks grunt when both are picked. Also, quite surprised that Varndell is straight back in on the wing. I hope that he has a great game (and am confident he'll be on the scoresheet) and that he proves his doubters wrong :D

Bets of all, Gibson - he'll make the difference between the 2 sides and, because he's in, I'll go for a Tigers win :D :D
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

Well, if I were Andy Goode I would be well and truly p***ed off!

"Burkey" as PH so affectionately calls him, is not far off being past it - and Andy Goode would be justified in saying stuff you and go to another club where he can get a well-deserved first team place.

Then where would we be when "Burkey" finally hangs up his boots?
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Agreed, TT. Burke was not the "right" signing in the first instance. However, judging off games so far this season I don't think there's much between them. There could be other things we're not aware of - Goode could be carrying a knock or maybe he's been poor in training?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Put it this way.....with Burke in the team, I cannot see us winning, so it depends on what the score is when Goode comes on.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Not convinced at all.

Thought rugby union teams traditionally contained 2 locks and 3 back row forwards, and have seen no evidence to suggest that this balance should be changed.

Burke is solid but unspectacular and offers less chance than Goode of creating anything in the backs. Goode has always played better with Gibson outside and didn't sound like he had a bad game last week. Added to which I think he's simply a better fly-half, on both form and quality, than Burke.

And much as I think Sam Vesty is an excellent player, am continually bemused by the notion of playing Geordan Murphy on the wing. For years I laughed at the ridiculousness of the Irish selectors in persisting with Girvan Dempsey at full back with Geordan Murphy given occasional games on the wing, yet now we choose to do the same week in, week out.

Hope that I'm proved wrong, but the selection suggests to me another attritional game, with limited scope for attacking rugby. Which is exactly what i'd want if I was a Munster fan.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Howey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Howey »

I actually prefer Geordie on the wing. He is one of our more creative players and being on the wing gives him a bit more opportunity of getting involved. Would have prefered to see Goodie back for this one though....
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Fascinating selection. We must surely assume that, given the quality of the opposition, this is Pat's strongest XV.

So Leicester's strongets side contains no places for Goode, White and Jennings? Wow! I'm fairly stunned by this one, but still very excited about the game. It's my birthday on Sunday, so a victory against the reigning champions would be a lovely pressie!

COME ON LEICESTER!!!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Hmmm. Pick our most explosive brilliant winger who craves space and opportunities and pair him with our least creative fly half? Interesting Pat, very interesting.

Still, delighted to see Tom back. He's an outstanding player, our finest prospect and at his best a devastatingly brilliant winger. Great to see Gibbo back also.

Not convinced, like everybody else, about Deacs at 6 and I really hope Cozza proves me wrong but I reckon he'll be lucky to make the WC squad.

Im confident though. Munster have been utter garbage this season, combine that with the Welford Rd effect and we're sitting pretty.

Plus no matter how terribly we play we seem to always win!
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Yeah, good point Jose. Why is Murphy continually played on the wing?
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

wouldnt it be amazing if Varndell got a try or two and put in the best takling performance ever, just to prove that bedford loan wasn't a waste of time!
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

totally agree chip. Would love to see Varndell get MOM to show a few doubters that he's a good player who can make it
Wigstontiger

Post by Wigstontiger »

At the members' night, Geordan said he much prefers to play at full back. He is the most skilful player in the team yet we persist in wasting him on the wing. Can't understand why Burke is in the team either. Goodey isn't on top form it's true but he's a much better prospect than Burke. Louis Deacon must be really fed up playing in the back row - no good for Tigers and certainly no good for his England chances.