Smith
Tait

Voyce
Balshaw
Cueto
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Your preference or who you think will be picked?

I read in the Daily Mail that they believe this will be the side (and I really hope not...)

1. Freshwater
2. Chuter
3. White
4. Grewcock
5. Jones
6. Corry
7. Moody
8. Sanderson / Forrester

9. Perry
10. Hodgson
11. Cohen
12. Barkley
13. Noon
14. Cueto
15. Lewsey
Chris Lunson
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chris Lunson »

I think that we need to start building for the future and should play some youg players with some older heads for expeireince.

Sheridan
Chuter
White
Deacon
Kay
Rees
Moody
Forrester

Ellis
Hodgson

Tait
Smith

Cueto
Varndell

Morgan
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

1.Vickery (if fit)
2.Chuter
3.White (great form this season)
4.Grewcock
5.Kay
6.Sanderson
7Moody
8.Corry/Forrestor (not been impressed by Corry lately)

9.Perry
10.Hodgson
11. Lewsey
12.Barkley
13.Smith
14.Cueto
15.Balshaw

Pretty biased line up but I think that could be quite an exciting side...backs possibly a bit lightweight though...
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

1.Vickery (if fit)
2.Chuter
3.White
4 borthwick
5. Kay
6. Worsley
7. Rees
8 . Corry

9. Bemand
10. Flood (take the risk)
11.lewsey
12. tait
13 smith
14 cueto
15. balshaw
:wink:
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Having watched Newcastle versus Wasps on TV yesterday (Sunday), I would be very disappointed if Tait was not in the team, I thought he looked superb.
tigersimon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by tigersimon »

15 Lewsey
14 Cohen
13 Tait
12 Noon
11 Cueto
10 Hodgson
9 Richards
1 Freshwater
2 Mears
3 Vickery
4 Grewcock
5 Borthwick
6 Worsley
7 Lund
8 Forrester

THEN WE CAN HAVE ALL OUR BOYS PLAYING FOR US :lol:
Puja

Post by Puja »

I'd be tempted by:

Sheridan
Chuter
Vickery/White
Grewcock
Kay
Sanderson(c)
Rees
Forrester

Perry
Hodgson
Lewsey
Tait
Smith
Cueto
Morgan (possibly, I haven't seen him play this season, but I've heard very good things)

I think the front five is a major strength of ours and we should be looking for beef up front. Chuter's solid in the set pieces and Grewcock and Kay will ensure that we have a forward advantage on our opposition. The back row is picked solely to secure loose ball. If we are to play with Brian Ashton's abilities, then our backrow needs to be fleet, strong and tactically aware. Sanderson has really impressed me at 6 on every occasion for England and I have to say that Rees and Forrester have come on leaps and bounds this season. No place for Corry or LBND, neither of whom have looked up to it this season (and I say this as a big Corry fan).

Perry and Hodgson are walk-ins for the halfback roles and wing deosn't have many choices either. I'd prefer to have some more pace on the outside, but JSD's just coming back from injury, Varndell's out of favour and I don't trust Voyce very much.

At 12, I gave serious thought to Toby Flood, but Tait looked damned impressive inside Jamie Noon against Wasps. Ollie Smith is just coming back to form and he's Noon v2.0; similar style but a lot more skills. Fullback left me lost. Maybe Morgan? I've heard good things, but haven't seen him myself this season.

Puja
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Good team and good post Puja, I agree with a lot of what you say. Voyce has looked pretty good this year so far, perhaps him on the wing and Mr Lewsey back at 15, where I personally prefer to see him playing???
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Yeah I think Lewsey at 15 is a good call, although Morgan does look good there and Lewsey does play well whatever position he plays! Whatever centre partnership gets chosen it definitely will not include Barkley who is out with an injury for about a month. I'd like to see Tait get a run, probably with Noon.

As for forwards I think there are no "shoe-ins", which IMO is unusual and hasn't happened in an England team for a few years. There's genuine competition for all places.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

what does anyone think about my decision about putting flood at 10 !
he was brilliant in the edf energy cup last two weeks !
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hi b t

To answer you directly; you are on the pop again, aren't you :wink:

Flood is a fine prospect, but England do have the best 10 in the British Isles at their disposal (I refer, of course, to Hodgson).

Lewsey is our other outstanding back; I have always preferred him at 15, although I see Wasps are starting to move him around again. Given Robbo's liking for Balshaw I wouldn't be surprised to see him at centre. Tait should play alongside him, but Robbo will be worried about the lack of a kicker at 12, a la Catt or Ollie B.
WilfMan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WilfMan »

everyone has forgoten about jason robinson who said that he would like to play for england again.
-
"Forwards decide who win the game, Backs decide by how much"
-
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Once you are gone you should stick to the decision in my book, no matter how great a player you are. He may have rekindled his form in the Premiership, but he had turned very stale for England when he retired. I'm all for trying to nurture the new fresh talent in the national setup. I would say "let's just bring him in for the training sessions to teach the kids something", but his club would never agree to that...
Puja

Post by Puja »

WilfMan wrote:everyone has forgoten about jason robinson who said that he would like to play for england again.
I was never a fan of Robinson at full-back. His talents were best utilised on the wing, IMHO, as it gives him the option of going one on one with an opposite man. At fullback, he got closed down towards the end and quite often got stomped.

I do like Lewsey at fullback, but I'm worried about trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. He's playing at centre for Wasps at the moment and I don't know that we should be playing someone at fullback, a very instinctual position, when he's being trained to have the instincts of a centre.

Puja