Farrell

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Farrell

Post by mightymouse »

I don't know whether anyone read this mornings article about Andy Farrell in the Telgraph - I know we have previously had threads about this but now he is playing.....

It seems the fellow is fairly anonimous playing at 6 for Sarries (now there's a suprise!!!) I think we could have told them that prior to him joining

How is a 32 year old going to learn a technical position like blindside flanker in a short period of time - This is a man that has never been in a ruck or a maul or a lineout before - Interestingly he stands in their backline for lineouts -Very handy!

I have nothing against the bloke and good luck to him trying to convert (although I think I agree with the article that 12 may be a better position for him to try) - but whart annoys me is that it denies someone else the opportunity - The RFU have spent £700k on a relatively old man with no proven record in this sport.

This means that they ignore a youngster somewhere who may benefit from the development with the elite squad

On another thread we have been raving about Big Jim - another club might be raving about a top young blindside - Farrell's inclusion denies them the chance they have been working for since they were 10 years old -

If Farrell proves himself playing for Sarries in whatever position then fine I would be the first to say get the guy in but until he can show he has more abilty than most at this sport then send him back tio his club to prove it
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

It's certainly a tough call for Farrell. I'd wrongly assumed the RFU wanted him to switch codes and become a 12. There aren't many who can combine his handling/kicking skills with physical strength. I can't see that all of his strengths are being utilised at 6.
EssexTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by EssexTiger »

Have you seen this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 398466.stm

Appears, according to Gaffney that he was wanted at 12 but his running lines are not good!

That certainly beggars selection at 12.

Why 6? Maybe having spent the money you have to use him somewhere.

Have to say I feel a bit sorry for him.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

perhaps it was'nt getting past 2 phases because the number 6 was standing in the flyhalf channel instead of working on the ground to re cycle the ball!
watso2c
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by watso2c »

Quote from the BBC article

"He can step into first receiver and has the ability to transfer the ball and kick well off his left foot. Those are things he can still do at six. We are trying to break the traditional six mould"

Personally I can't see too many situations where you would want your No 6 to kick from hand. Might be a handy to habe as a replacement place kicker though.
Chris
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I generally think there are too many forwards in the way of the flyhalf anyway but I suppose at least if he was in the way he might be able to do something usful with it
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Just think this could very easily have been our problem when Farrell was touted round the clubs. It seems clear now that nobody at the RFU had actually bothered to consider where he might actually play! He is a great great player but not in union and definitely not as a flanker! Every other player in the same position will have been playing there for donkeys years.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Great RL player but switched codes too late as far as I am concerned and can't see how he can make it to the top level in time now. Have to agree that the money would have been better spent on young player development. Probably the old RL influence at HQ was to blame, I have long thought we should end that influence now and to a large extent we have, albeit belatedly.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Wait and see time folks. CAnt expect miracles when the guy has played 1 or 2 games and nor rugby of any kind ofr nearly two years. Wait!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 404432.stm

Implied acceptance by the RFU that signing Farrell was, unfortunately, a mistake.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Gotta feel sorry for the guy really . He must be feeling a lot of love coming from the RFU today!!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Glad to see that the RFU finally bagree with many on this forum, myself included. Just a pity that they are, as usual, behind the curve.
expectingA tigerCUB
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by expectingA tigerCUB »

hmmmm teletext today say sarries are playing him at 7. And AR wants to discuss positions with him (oooeeerrr)

obviously the man Moody is THEE best 7 on thy planet.

therefore.... sorry mate but no cigar in my opinion
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Best in the world? Give me Macaw anytime.

Although Moody would be a long way higher in the pecking order than Poor Old Andy.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

westy154 wrote:Best in the world? Give me Macaw anytime.

Although Moody would be a long way higher in the pecking order than Poor Old Andy.
Moody is the best 6.5 in the world though! ;)

By "Poor Old Andy" do you mean Farrell or Robinson ?!!! :roll: :lol: :twisted: