Grudge Match

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Becca
Top Cat
Top Cat

Grudge Match

Post by Becca »

I was Just wondering as I was unable to go to the original Bath V's Leicester Tigers Pilkington cup Final match what the line ups of the team were. My Dad was no help as couldn't remember some of the team so though I may have better look here.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Taken from a previous thread (posted by RubyMint)

The teams on that day in May 1996 were:

TIGERS: J Liley; S Hackney, S Potter, R Robinson, R Underwood; N Malone, A Kardooni; G Rowntree, R Cockerill, D Garforth, M Johnson, M Poole, J Wells, N Back, D Richards (capt).

BATH: J Callard; J Sleightholme, P de Glanville (capt), A Adebayo, A Lumsden; M Catt, A Nicol; D Hilton, G Dawe, J Mallett, M Haag, N Redman, S Ojomoh, A Robinson, E Peters.

Referee - Steve Lander.

How many of the above will actually be fit to play is unsure as yet! Tickets are on sale NOW - Season ticket holders and members have until Sept 30th to obtain their guaranteed place/ticket - after that it will be open to all.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Chris Lunson
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chris Lunson »

I wasnt at that famous match but my dad was. He said that Leicester where all over ath and that it was Lander that won the match for Bath. Apparently there was no way that it was a penalty try. Though it was what happened after the match that was interesting. The normally cool headed Neil Back pushed Lander over and got banned for 6 months. I dont think we'll see a reapet preformance next time we play Bath!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I was at that match, and the only worthy winners that day were Tigers. We played all the rugby and showed all the invention.

However, we were under the cosh as I remember and looking back it probably was a PT. Not that we were happy about it at the time!!!

That was probably the worst I have ever felt after a match, I was so gutted.
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

I was at the game and am still smarting!!

We were indeed all over Bath and then at the death Lander gave them the penalty try to win the match. Whether it was a justified decision or not is open to question but at the time penalty tries were almost unheard of so the shock factor was very high.

We went on the town after the game and even the Bath fans were saying we were robbed - we even got a couple of pints out of some so they must have felt bad!!

I wonder if Backy will finish the job on Landers this time round??
:wink:
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Looking forward to this one, especially if all are available. Hopefully, the right result for Tigers this time!

Don't know whether Backy would give Steve Lander a push this time!! :wink: :wink:

Have just booked my ticket!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I sold an overly inflated signed chair cushion to a bath fan, so that eased the pain!

After the game I bought a cushion for £2.50 instead of £5.00. I got Steve Hackney and a couple of other players to sign it, and then my brother and friend starting having a laugh and faking a load of players autographs, like Rory Underwood and Deano.

A Bath fan saw it and asked us how much we wanted for it as he collected memorabilia. I asked for a Tenner and he agreed!!!

We even felt guilty and told them they were fakes, but he thought we were joking about and bought it anyway. So I felt ok after that, like I had somehow exacted revenge!!!
nwnreader

Post by nwnreader »

Apologies for the source, but more info available at
If Tigers become Lions, how do Lions become Pussycats?
Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmo »

Simmo