Ian Humpreys

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ian Humpreys

Post by Tyzot »

IMHO Ian Humpreys has been performing at a high standard for some time now and must be close to a first team run out. However I gather that he is off to Leeds on loan for two months.

What do people think - A shrewd move to give him first team experience or a wasted opportunity.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Is this for real Tyzot ? Do you have a link ?

If true, then .... well, I don't really know what to say. He is crying out for some 1st team game time (not a full match, but certainly 30-40 mins), and our problems at FH have been well documented on this forum.

We need him here, not at Leeds. Baffling.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

[quote="dailywaffle"]Is this for real Tyzot ? Do you have a link ?

No link - Lets just say sources close to the Palace.

I have to say I was pretty stunned myself.
BigSi

Post by BigSi »

Morning All,

I was lucky enough to be at the development game last night and firstly I'd like to congratulate the 'A' team for a fluent, expansive and ambitious approach to the game. Very impressive indeed.

There were some great performances out there last night too, but Ian Humphreys was outstanding. His defence was excellent, ball out of hand superb, and kicking out of hand also great. His dead ball kicking though was brilliant and he looked extremely comfortable. Dare I say Goode and Burke should be worried?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Ian Humpreys

Post by Chobbsy »

Tyzot wrote:IMHO Ian Humpreys has been performing at a high standard for some time now and must be close to a first team run out. However I gather that he is off to Leeds on loan for two months.

What do people think - A shrewd move to give him first team experience or a wasted opportunity.
Unfortunately he has only been performing well for the development team, he has not taken the (agreed limited number) chances when selected for the first team. I really want a good fly half, I am not sure if there is one at the club at the moment.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

His last outing with the first team was last season, and having watched him a few times this season my observation is that not only is he playing out of his skin he also seems to have 'filled out' quite a bit (I've seen comments on other threads that he's a bit lightweight). Having seen the Quins game I was VERY disappointed with Burke - first time I've seen him play a full game and I don't think he really did enough to stake a claim for the shirt. I reckon Humphreys should get the 10 shirt on Saturday - traditionally we field a 'weaker' side for this competition (I'm not one of those that slag this competition off by the way); this would be a good opportunity to see if he can step up. I think a few people would be pleasantly surprised.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rhino wrote:His last outing with the first team was last season, and having watched him a few times this season my observation is that not only is he playing out of his skin he also seems to have 'filled out' quite a bit (I've seen comments on other threads that he's a bit lightweight). Having seen the Quins game I was VERY disappointed with Burke - first time I've seen him play a full game and I don't think he really did enough to stake a claim for the shirt. I reckon Humphreys should get the 10 shirt on Saturday - traditionally we field a 'weaker' side for this competition (I'm not one of those that slag this competition off by the way); this would be a good opportunity to see if he can step up. I think a few people would be pleasantly surprised.
I haven't seen him this season, apart from Middlesex 7s, so I will take your word for it, lets hope if he has improved that much it is recognised like it was with Jonny Murphy and he gets his chance because I don't believe we will win anything with Goode or Burke
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Ian Humphreys has looked very good for the development side and in the sevens of late. That said, he appears to have choked on the occasions he has been given a first team chance in the past, so maybe this loan experience will be useful in giving him first team experience and regular rugby. My prediction is he will come back in a position to properly challenge for a starting place.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian Humphreys

Post by mike »

You're right Chobbsy , we won't win anything with either Goode or Burke . Send one of them out on loan and play Humphries !
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

I think that with the current situation at 10 it would be a mistake to let Ian go to Leeds on loan even tho' they can call him back at anytime. I have rated Ian from day 1 and while he may not have performed well at 1st XV level so far, he should be given more opportunities especially on his current form. Dean Ryan stuck with Ryan Lamb and look at how well he did last season? Ian should be given the same confidence!!
Scott and Ian would make a very good 9/10 combo.
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

It's on the unoffy board from a Tykes poster saying he has been loaned out for 2 months to cover the centre's :? .

Crazy decision if it goes ahead he could get 1st team game time here.

But then most decisions by Tigers are crazy. :roll:
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Letting Humphries go is a ridiculous move. He should be starting 10 for the 1st team. Goode and Burke shouldn't be worried (as BigSi suggests) they should be s******g themselves.

Humphries has improved immensely since last season, his form so far for the development XV has been excellent and he adds so much more than Goode or Burke do. He's a good goal-kicker, good poditional kicker, good runner, good passer and good in defence. Neither Goode nor Burke can testify to being all those things.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

k1 wrote:He's a good goal-kicker, good poditional kicker, good runner, good passer and good in defence. Neither Goode nor Burke can testify to being all those things.
Maybe k1, but Goode is a better goal-kicker, a better positional kicker, a better passer and better in defence. Goode is not, at the moment, a good runner, but everybody has some weaknesses and IMHO that is not a complete requirement for that position assuming there is a good number 12 outside him to create the play.
**Harry Ellis fan**

Post by **Harry Ellis fan** »

if Ian is going i'm sure to miss him - he's fit lol n shows a lot of potential! what will the dev. team do without him ?

i hope the two months goes quickly!

I will miss him!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :shock: :cry:

**Harry Ellis fan**
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian Humphreys

Post by mike »

pellsey - If you really believe that stuff saying how talented a player Goode is , I can only assume you have not seen him play in our important games over the past 2 years where he has consistently underperformed . The decision to re-sign him on a 3 year contract was a disastorous mistake and one that will cost the Club dear .