Pat on the Bench Tonight

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

nwnreader

Post by nwnreader »

But no comment about Backy being on the bench. Shame he didn't have a run around.
If Tigers become Lions, how do Lions become Pussycats?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I was at the game last night, and it strook me that Pat being on the pitch was excellent experience for those playing around him. He was constantly organising the defence and the re-starts, and always talking to the players. Rather than it being for Pat to have a runaround for the fun of it, it was used as a live training session during the game, the value of which must have been massive to those playing.
And also his running lines, miss passes and offloading proved that he defeinitely hasn't lost his touch in retirement.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Iain, is that a tad obsequious, doyafink?
AV8TOR

Post by AV8TOR »

This may sound a tad condescending, but if you were not there last night then please don’t say what you think about Pat playing in the “A” team, go and watch him if you get a chance. The ability to “coach” them in a live game is worth far more than endless hours on the training pitch. :)

The only down side last night was they took Alesana T off, when he came on, would have liked to see them playing together. Pats running lines, combined with Alesana T’s power…………… :shock:

[Incidentally nwnreader there is no mention of Backy being on the “Bench” in my team sheet. He does of course take a very “Hands on” approach to coaching at this level. ]
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend.
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

Spot on AV8TOR. There was just so much more organisation and determination when Pat was on. It can only benefit the youngsters.
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

It was a good game last night and 7,000 + fans turned up which can't be bad can it.

It was good to see Pat getting in there with the lads. I should think he'd get well respected by the players for his hands on attitude. There was definately good feedback from the fans when he went on as he got a big cheer from the crowd.

Luke Abrahams was my man of the match. Good player with great potential (apart from his temper tantrum at the begining).

Good game, good game and a nice cajun chicken wrap at The Gateway afterwards. :wink:
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Good game - not as one-sided as the scoreline might suggest, IMO.

Howard was superb when he came on - organised defence and had a hand in 2-3 tries towards the end. Playing alongside him you must learn so much, he didn't try to steal the limelight but looked to get the backs going forward with good lines and good offloading.

We need this in the 1st team!! :lol:
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

k1 wrote:Good game - not as one-sided as the scoreline might suggest, IMO.

Howard was superb when he came on - organised defence and had a hand in 2-3 tries towards the end. Playing alongside him you must learn so much, he didn't try to steal the limelight but looked to get the backs going forward with good lines and good offloading.

We need this in the 1st team!! :lol:
Would Pat be able to come in a first team game???? Lets do a petition... :roll:
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

No he would not, but if the backs listen to him he may be able to teach them one or two things
nwnreader

Post by nwnreader »

While Sir Neil was listed on the declared team, I am reliably informed he could not make it to the bench on the night. Still a tasty thought, though.
I like the idea of coaches playing in the team once in a while. Obviously, for all manner of reasons, not all can. It gives them a different perspective of plays and players, and gives a reminder of the difficulties of playing as opposed to shouting from the dugout (or stands/terraces).
If Tigers become Lions, how do Lions become Pussycats?