INCONSISTENCY OF THE IRB

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mattu Pichu

INCONSISTENCY OF THE IRB

Post by Mattu Pichu »

I came across a letter in my copy of Rugby World, it was all about the inconsistency of the IRB and it's citing commision.

The gentleman in question was bemused by the 11 week ban handed to Australian Lote Tuquiri for a spear tackle on Richie McCaw, who by chance was able to continue, I know spear tackles are illegal but bare wih me, contrast this with the incident on the 2005 Lions series, when, Brian O'Driscoll suffered a similar tackle that ended his tour and left him on the sidelines for part of the following season. Consequently no action was taken against the instigators, Tana Umaga and Kevin Mealamu. Both incidents in question were resided over by the same gentleman, SA's Willem Venter.

Surely as this gentleman suggests the IRB must do something about the consistency of the punishments dished out to offending players?
It's not about running faster than the tiger, it's about running faster than the slowest person!
GeddingtonTiger

Post by GeddingtonTiger »

I thought no action was taken against Umaga and co because there was no video evidence at the time when the guy was investigated the claim therefore no punishment could be handed out.
keef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by keef »

how did they have no video evidence?didn't they bother to ask sky?im pretty sure most people watching the game saw it.
The Future's Bright,The Future's Stripey!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The issue on the Lions tour was that it was agreed sitings had to be made almost immediately after the game, and the matter was one of time. The citing commissioner decided quickly there was no case to answer and left straight away.
Mattu Pichu

Post by Mattu Pichu »

Still a major error on his part in both cases, we pride ourselves on discipline in the sport, what message does it send to those outside the sport other than sanctioned thuggery.
It's not about running faster than the tiger, it's about running faster than the slowest person!