Do I really pay to watch this?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

God what will the comments be like when we lose. Out of interest, I have viewed the Wasps msg board after they beat Quins by one point in another non convincing display (much like ours last night) and their fans were positive about the fact that a win was ground out when not playing their best !!
And yet, a lot of "supporters" on here will only ever be happy with 30 point wins every week and anything else will see a whole load of attacks on the coach / players/ management etc.

This is probably the most competetive league in the world - no match is easy any more especially away from home and we have a huge amount of injuries at the moment - yet we still won and still are attracting criticism.

All I am asking for is balance in opinions - some on here have it but some (on this thread especially) have none at all.
Less is more....
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Is that the Development you are talking about Bunchy? Because Wasps won by 19 points in the Premiership so that wasn't exactly close. And judging by one Quins supporter I spoke to before last night's game, there were was some strong recation to that too to the extent that half of their team weren't worthy of playing for Harlequins. So don't say its just our fans who react strongly when our team lose.

I don't think anyone has said we have a divine right to win by 30 points each week - in fact that we would be arrogant to say so. However, we are entitled to expect decent performances especially against teams like Quins who we should win more convincingly against.

People like myself are also entitled to criticise the team for performing badly. And I will praise when something is right - but there isn't much right at the moment.

So, I will continue saying what I like about the club because I care as much as anyone else and I will have my opinion.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

And for the record, Gloucester have as many injuries I believe as us, but they are top before Wasps game with Bristol. Shows that they must be doing things better then us, eh?? :roll: :roll:
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Glaws are 3 points ahead of Tigers. If Tigers hadn't thrown away an 8-point lead against Bath, they'd be top. If they hadn't thrown away a ten-point lead against Glaws, they'd be top by a fair margin. To summarise again: one stonking performance to beat the champions and beat them well, two wins thrown away in the second half, an ugly win ground out away from home, fifth place. And for this we should be slitting our wrists? I don't think so. There's lots to criticise, but just one last plea for the criticism to be reasoned and not the apocalyptic hysteria that turns up so often. Please? :wink:
moorsman
Tiger Cub

Post by moorsman »

banbury tiger wrote:nothing wrong with having an opinion.
and frankly simon redshaw what i said is just as much my opinion - as what he said was his.
forum's aren't made for everybody too agree.
and moorsman i'm sorry if i offended you, but my opinion is that if you support a team because they always win you can't blame them when they loose ( or in this case win by 6 points ).
am I bothered?
err.. the issue is about PROGRESS and whilst I've supported tigers through the lean (remember the Tony Russ period) and the good times, I'm struggling to appreciate the current set up that's been bedded in during the last couple of seasons. Don't mind winning by a few points, don't mind that much losing - when you can see things coming together, a marrying of technique, tactics and getting stuck in. Oh, and let's all hold our breath for the famous 'we know what the problem is and we will sort it out' quote that will no doubt be trotted out again before too long.
quincy

Post by quincy »

Sorry - but didnt we win yesterday?
Some of the comments on this site are now getting pretty silly. Many seem to come from those who could not have even seen the game from what they say they apparently saw.
Like everything else in life we have our favorites and others have theirs,
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

You know what? I sometimes wonder what this board is all about. As a forum it should be somewhere people with similar interests can express their views and accept that some may disagree. All the better if those views are backed up with a reasoned argument, ‘I think this because this blah blah.’ How quickly do some ‘discussions’ degenerate into a slanging match? ‘If you think that you must be a ….’ etc.

A quick visit to the Quins board shows exactly how opinions can differ. Yes, we all wear tinted glasses. As usual some of them think they would have won if it wasn’t for the ref. Common ground there then. They also think that their indiscipline gave it away, just as we think our indiscipline nearly gave it away.

The main difference between the two boards is they seem to lack the personal insults as they talk about what we all saw – well most of them.

Just as a matter of interest my thoughts are that the Sale match showed us what the Tigers can do. Unfortunately we haven’t seen a repeat performance, hence the frustration. I don’t know what the answer is, but there have been some interesting comments on here that could indicate what the problems are. Is Pat H too close to the players? Do you need to have won everything to be able to coach a successful Prem team? Is coming second just not good enough? Do we want victory or an attractive flowing game of rugby that we may or may not win?
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello Wots all this 'ere then!

Here am I crawling out from under another Remy powered weekend spent down in the smoke (By the way Chicken Pathia is still explosively incompatible, with Guinness!)
and we come up against the same old banter!

Those who criticise and those who claim to be true supporters. Actually there's B all difference between both sets of folk. Both sets care about something they ......... well ........ love??

I admit it was an absolutely dire performance from a team that hopes to win major honours but on the other hand they won! They won ugly, but they won. Now then! (Swigs on post dinner Remy!) Having achieved that minor miracle. ( And let's face it folks we've really won some UGLY games in the past and been grateful.) Perhaps we can build a little confidence and win pretty next time? Personally I don't care if we just continue to win ugly!

Team selection does bother me though (and before any one has a crack at me 'cos I'm not Clive Woodward, or related to him, or 'cos I don't have his experience) you DO win more with a SETTLED side. (IMHO>>>>>Just to add that!)

So If I coud make a plea to Pat it would be think about those who have done well and continue to select them and don't tinker for the sake of it!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

GS wrote: Do we want victory or an attractive flowing game of rugby that we may or may not win?
Interesting question there GS.

I have often argued with Tigers fans on this hypothetical question:

Would you rather lose 41-39 in a fantastic display of hard, fast and skilful rugby, or ..

Would you rather sneak a win in a desperately poor affair, with numerous errors and penalties ?

I would, without hesitation, go for #1. Almost universally, the people I have put this to go for #2. Well, the display on Saturday was definitely in the second category. Who would have gone for #1 instead ?
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

#1 gives you reason for hope

#2 gives you reason to doubt
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Don't mind if they win pretty or win ugly although I would prefer the former. However in the last three games they have lost, drawn and won ugly rather than won, won and won ugly and that is the problem.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Everyone is entitled to an opinion (even if it's the wrong one :lol: )

I simply find myself :roll: and shrugging at the "get rid of Pat/Burke/Goode/Corry" brigade. How would doing that improve morale and confidence within the team and the squad?? Whatever disagreements they have with each other behind the doors of the training ground, the squad and coaches ALL support and believe in each other and it would be utter silliness to go down the football road of sacking here there and everywhere barely 5 weeks into the season.

The team support the coaches, the coaches support the team, the whole squad believe in each other - surely we as supporters can attempt to do the same?
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

dailywaffle wrote:
GS wrote: Do we want victory or an attractive flowing game of rugby that we may or may not win?
Interesting question there GS.

I have often argued with Tigers fans on this hypothetical question:

Would you rather lose 41-39 in a fantastic display of hard, fast and skilful rugby, or ..

Would you rather sneak a win in a desperately poor affair, with numerous errors and penalties ?

I would, without hesitation, go for #1. Almost universally, the people I have put this to go for #2. Well, the display on Saturday was definitely in the second category. Who would have gone for #1 instead ?

#1 is OK for a friendly.

I'd take #2 in the HC final (And have seen both??)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Rizzo wrote:Everyone is entitled to an opinion (even if it's the wrong one :lol: )

I simply find myself :roll: and shrugging at the "get rid of Pat/Burke/Goode/Corry" brigade. How would doing that improve morale and confidence within the team and the squad?? Whatever disagreements they have with each other behind the doors of the training ground, the squad and coaches ALL support and believe in each other and it would be utter silliness to go down the football road of sacking here there and everywhere barely 5 weeks into the season.

The team support the coaches, the coaches support the team, the whole squad believe in each other - surely we as supporters can attempt to do the same?
Rizzo - totally and utterly agree. You restore my faith in this forum
Less is more....
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I really don't think anyone on here has said sack the coach have they? And even if they had surely they are entitled to say so.

Most people on here have said they think there is a problem and that could be down to the coach I really am failing to see here what is wrong with saying such things. The team don't seem to be motivated they are being played out of position the backline aren't firing something is wrong and the first person you look at is the coach. It is the same in any other sport.

We can say what we want as everyone is entitled to have there say. I will continue to say what I feel and if it means I'm not liked for it then frankly I don't care.

I refuse to agree with the "ra,ra everything at Tigers is rosy brigade" when quite frankly it isn't. IMO.