Racism in Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Racism in Rugby

Post by adamv6 »

After the Robinson incident (which turns out to be non racist), certain sections of the media are starting a witch hunt and implying that their is "racism at every level of rugby".

I have to say, it all the time I played and the hundreds of matches I have watched live, I only ever heard one racism comment from a piece of pond-life in the Crumbie once (he called Lloyd a useless snigger without the s).

He was so badly lambasted by all around him, he left the ground of his own free will about 3 minutes later.

Has anybody else heard an racism towards players or do I live in a cotton wool wrapped world?
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Totally agree with you. I've never encountered racism in rugby.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Nope. Never encountered any. Anywhere. Ever.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

westy154 wrote:Nope. Never encountered any. Anywhere. Ever.
No neither have I... and long may it stay that way.
Lozza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lozza »

No - me neither. Long may it continue this way too............................

There are some rather nice rugby shirts available (not sure where from though!) which have Rugby Against Racism on them as an embroidered logo, and they are half black and half white..................has anyone else seen these, or know where you can get them from?
Lozza

Nothing is Impossible
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Unfortunately I have witnessed blatant racism while playing club rugby on more than one occasion - sometimes even from former teammates.

Thankfully have never heard it watching a game and would hope never to do so. That said, it is no less important that it happens at lower level rugby.
Mr G

Post by Mr G »

Never seen racism at a rugby match, the day this changes thats the day i stop watching and supporting rugby.
Tigers forever.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

i've played loads of games at grass roots level and never heard anything in the slight bit racist said! blenty of mouth and :censored: but never anything racist.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

BelperJon wrote:
Lozza wrote:There are some rather nice rugby shirts available (not sure where from though!) which have Rugby Against Racism on them as an embroidered logo, and they are half black and half white..................has anyone else seen these, or know where you can get them from?
A mate of mine has one of the shirts. I'll ask him where he got it from. :)
Made by Kooga - have seen them only very rarely in weird places like soccer world and the like. Ebay might be worth a hunt.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

In anout 13 years of watching tigers I can remember two isolated incidents. An old boy monkey chanting at Victor Ubogu and a moron on the terrace telling Jason Robinson to get back on his marmalade jar. Still, its twice too often. But certainly not a widespread problem, though to be fair I'm not sure I have seen anyone suggest it is in the media?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I can honestly say the only instance I've heard was at the Walkers Stadium when we played Toulouse. There were two blokes in Leicester City shirts sitting behind us (and this is not a dig a footie fans, or a start of footie vs rugby debate) who yelled insults at Leon Lloyd - one of which was calling him a similar name to the one claimed in the Bath/Northampton event. I find it rude and insulting for a spectator to call players or referees by personally insulting names, but the insertion of a colour into an insult tirade is unacceptable under any circumstances.

On this occasion I turned round and glared at the two for some moments, and they did shut up a bit. I'd have given them the sharp edge of my tongue only my daughter was urging me not to get involved.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
greenhornet

Post by greenhornet »

Depends how you define racism. It's true that you don't often hear racist abuse. But racism can be about exclusion too. Look around and ask yourself, not counting imports from the Pacific, how many players from ethnic minorities actually participate in the game at any level.

And how many of the crowd are from ethnic minorities? Out of 5,700 on Monday night I saw four.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

your telling me you saw all 5,700 people ? :D
but no greenhornet i agree with you partly.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

but to be fair we cannot say that if there not many people of ethinc minortiy at the game were too blame for being racist it a matter of personal choice different people like different things no matter what your race!