A Team in close shave

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GS
Super User
Super User

A Team in close shave

Post by GS »

Just scraped home 71 - 5 !! First 20 minutes or so Falcons kooked the stronger with Tigs looking as if they'd spent the week at the Tom Varndell Accadamy of Tackling. :lol:

Once the Tigs started to get away though the Falcons didn't really look up to too much, but the score at half time flatered us slightly I felt. The usual suspects looked good with Ollie playing the whole game and bagging a brace along the way. The forwards were well matched at first but I think the Falcon's hearts weren't really in it after a while, especially defendinding the push over try that openned the flood gates for 3 tries in almost as many minutes.

Attendance 5,700, so its getting better, can't wait for next week. :wink:
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Thanks GS. Couldn't make tonight. Glad to hear OS made the full 80.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

You're welcome Goffer, sorry I'm no good at the full reporting bit.

Humphries had a good night with the boot once he got his timing right when kicking from hand. This coincided with the Tigers stepping up a gear in the first half and actually realising where the ball was at the breakdown. A couple of times it was like an early panto, you just wanted to shout 'It's behind you!' :oops:
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I was far too knackered to walk down tonight, wish I'd made the effort now! Who in particular looked good? Frank Murphy and Ian Humphries still looking impressive?
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Once the Red White and Green Machine got going everyone looked fine, certainly FM and IH worked well again, but as I said the heart seemed to go from the Falcon's game so it was hard to judge too much. That said we had to work for it in the first half and the forwards battle was pretty even, with us even managing to lose a scrum.

Once Humphries got into it the game started to go our way, and you could criticise Falcons for dropping their heads but it needed a bit of a ruthless streak to keep the pressure up and not back off, just like the other year when the big boys put 80 odd on Andrew's team.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Can we have this team playing on Saturday. Or better still can we swap coaches around? Andy Key at least seems to be able to motivate the players and get them playing as a team. This lot seem to play with more passion and commitment than their 1st team counterparts.
KarenH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KarenH »

yes sorry for being fickle but who came on second half in the forwards. sorry sometimes I have to say something :wink:
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

wish we'd been able to go :( I daren't tell my daughter how good a game it sounds to have been, she'll be in tears again like she was when I told her she was too poorly to go.
never mind, there's always next Monday and they might top the score...

well done our Development lads!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
AV8TOR

Post by AV8TOR »

Anybody else wondering if "Monday Night" rugby is so much more entertaining to watch, because It Matters Non of this top 4 will do stuff?

Can you imagine the first team being bothered to score 70 + points with the present 4th will do attitude ?
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

g wrote:Can we have this team playing on Saturday. Or better still can we swap coaches around? Andy Key at least seems to be able to motivate the players and get them playing as a team. This lot seem to play with more passion and commitment than their 1st team counterparts.
Let's not get carried away, there is a big gap between the Prem and A League. That said the games have been entertaining in the past, like 15 man 7's at times, but next week against Northampton will be a heavy wieght encounter going on past games.

I wish I knew why we can produce an A team like this, but the big boys don't always turn up - Bath and Glaws 2nd half. I sometimes think there's a problem in the way we introduce A teamers to the 1st team, it seems to be a sink or swim ordeal. I'll stop there before I dig a bigger hole for myself, other than to say that in some ways Tigers are still a bit amature in their ways. Now there's a can of worms :oops:
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Can anyone tell me how Ollie Smith did and or did he look to have his old spark back?
A fit and raring to go Ollie would be a great boost at the moment
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Was a really good game of rugby. Many good performances. Yes, Newcastle heads did drop a bit but Tigers still played good rugby and carved out some good chances.

Frank Murphy and Humphries made a superb pairing - I know 1st team is a step up but I'd sooner pay money to see these 2 than Bemand and Goode right now, and I'm a big Bemand fan!

J Murphy good at full back but I can't see him toppling his namesake. Smith looked good, as did Tuilagi. Lloyd made a good break in the 1st half. Pienaar good in the pack and Deacon had a fairly commanding performance and hit some rucks hard!

All-in-all, good performance and entertaining rugby. Glad I went down as don't often go to A team. That will change now! Crowd was on good form and plenty turned up.