The Future for Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

shareholder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by shareholder »

Is the problem at Tigers at Board level ? not just bad choices by the coach or captain is it not time we had some new faces on the Board no chance of this for the nominations are already in black & white without any input from the grass roots supporters. just hope now that we do not give Deanos team their first win of the season
old fart
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Did I miss something on Saturday ? I was there and I'm sure it was a draw...and not a Gloucester win !! Yes, they have the same injury problems as us, but did they beat us ?....NO
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I don't think we should be satisfied with a draw at home. We had a ten point lead twice and even against a team of Gloucester's potential, Tigers should have held out for a win not be lucky to get a draw.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

It has been interesting so far the amount of debate this thread has engendered.

Whilst my comments may seem negative on this, it is just how I and perhaps many feel hand on heart. I care deeply about seeing Tigers successful again and it is very demoralising when it doesn't happen. It may seem early to hold the inquisition on Tigers chances but at least it is getting things into the open.

Shareholder, I think you may be right in your views on the present board. However, they will never change, and I don't their thinking of how the club should run will change either.

There is this feeling amongst the board that all will become rosy after a while and there is no need for any great change. I am not sure that will happen without some change of direction.
Last edited by simon redshaw on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I am not saying anybody else cares less deeply about seeing success for Tigers but some see things in a different light.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

The future for Tigers

Post by mike »

I tend to agree that our problems start at the top and have concerns that the appointment of directors to the Board seems a bit of a closed shop. I don't doubt that as individuals the existing Directors have given good service as ex players or as benefactors/supporters of the Club but I believe we ought to expect much more of our Board than we are getting at present and I for one will be voting against their re-election as a matter of principle . Our present situation as a Club is a bit like Manchester United -former European Champions , a big support base , full ground every home match , but continuing decline on the playing side which in my eyes is the whole reason for the Club's existence . In my view the Board have got just about every decision relating to the playing side badly wrong over the past 4 years - losing John Wells ( still no adequate explanation ) , no long term head coach appointment ( how many more 12 month extensions ? ) no world class players signed ( particularly needed at 10 and 12 ) and a muddled ground redevelopment scheme( or ground sharing ? ) that will take for ever . 5 years ago we were European Champions and English Champions - we have seen relentless decline since then overseen by our present Directors and they should really be considering stepping down , not re-elcting themselves .
ancientmariner

Poor results

Post by ancientmariner »

I suggest that one of the main reasons for our mediocre results is the decline in our defence skills.
A few years ago it was the end of October before any other team crossed our try line. Now we have conceded more points than any other team in the Premiership (though, bizarrely, we are also equal top point scorers).
AM[/u][/i]
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

westwinds31 wrote:Did I miss something on Saturday ? I was there and I'm sure it was a draw...and not a Gloucester win !! Yes, they have the same injury problems as us, but did they beat us ?....NO
Admittedly things could be worse. However, we should have not only won the game but also picked up the bonus point given the position we held. A draw at home is a victory for Gloucester.

It's good to talk about these issues early on, IMO. It's not doom and gloom, it's just not wearing rosy spectacles!

Agree wholeheartedly, ancientmariner. Defensive performance thus far has been patchy at best. Far too many gaps around the fringes, too many penalties and too many passes putting teammates under pressure
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

mike - I have to agree with much of what you say, I have been wondering myself whether the management really know what they are doing. As you point out, they seem to be going around in circles on the head coach, stadium and club development issues.
Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

While I'm still amazed that we contrived to throw away a 10 point lead halfway through the 2nd half at the weekend i still think some perspective is required.

1 Tigers had the closest thing to a professional setup when the game went pro. It took other teams a few years to get organised and learn from what we were doing.

2 Players like Johnno are exceptional. That we also had a group of outstanding players such as Backy, Pat Howard and Oz gave us a big headstart over other teams on the pitch

3 The board must be doing something right since they announced record profits recently

4 We can't spend the profits on extra players due to the Salary Cap

5 The radio leicester commentators(couldn't make it to the game) commented several times during the 2nd half that Pat Howard was going mad at things that were happening on the pitch.

6 Pat and the players have made it clear that none of them think that the performance on Saturday was acceptable.

We've played well for 1 whole game and parts of the other 2. Provided we can improve and play to those standards in all games then we have no reason to fear anyone else and will be comptetive in all tournaments.