Views required please from those who know their rugby !

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

A lot of th epoints here were covered last season. Goode stands too flat; Goode only has a miss-pass in his armoury; Goode's too slow.

This isn't a dig at him - it's fact! Defences know the only thing he has is a miss pass so the outside backs rush defence every time as they know they'll cover their man that way whether Goode passes to 12 or 13. Goode also very rarely looks at the inside pass (something I noticed Humphries did quite a bit last night and it opens up space and confuses the defence). To be fair to Goode, the whole backline seems to be static when Gibson doesn't play and with Murphy on the wing. He therefore doesn't have much to aim for.

While watching the Gloucester game I did wonder whether this "static tactic" was deliberate. ie: to suck backs into rucks and setup a backline with mismatches and create overlaps. I noticed this was done against Sale and created overlaps outside and forwards v backs matchups
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hi k1

In response to your last paragraph, and in a general sense (I obviously can't speak for Pat) .... yes. A flat midfield offers less creativity than a more deeply aligned set off first phase ball, but it is ideal (especially if you have a FH/IC with a strong pass) if you want to work it through the phases to create overlaps and mismatches out wide.

I get the impression that a lot (most ?) coaches think you can't score off first phase ball, which implies that a lot of guile has gone from the game. Re-cycle, work it through the phases, get the mis-match and fire it out. Rugby by numbers. This would seem to play to Goode's strengths. Not sure if the same would be said of a more aggressive FH (e.g. Humphreys ?)
wing commander
Tiger Cub

Post by wing commander »

goode's limitations have been obvious and well-documented for the past couple of years. You only had to look at the difference between him and Hodgson first game to realise that, although he is perfectly competent as a goal kicker and passer, he doesn't possess that spark which sets the excellent apart from the highly competent. I think he's been worked out in the Premiership and is feeling under some pressure to come up with the goods, which is why he tried to run out of defence on Saturday, gave the ball to Crane and cost us a penalty. The other major problem on Saturday I thought was the centre combination-they both seemed a bit lightweight and Gibson was sadly missed for his ability to straighten the line and make breaks up the centre. It looks like being a long hard season for all of us!
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

The main reason for no line breaks is the fact since Howard retired we have been left with know one who has the skill or pace over a few yards to make consistent breaks at 12 against all comers.
Other than Jaco for 6mth we have not had a flyhalf who is quick enough or skillful enough since Stransky retired over 6yrs ago. We manged to get away without a decent 10 cos OZ and PAt made used of their great skill and quick change of pace over the first few yards to make breaks. With both now retired we are left with very few line breaks from 10-13.

Over the last two seasons or so this has all been compounded by Harrys very slow pass and the addoption of the rush defence tactic.