An Apology to Our Harry

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nik
Super User
Super User

An Apology to Our Harry

Post by Nik »

A couple of weeks ago I said our Harry is awesome, nothings changed there, when he comes back from injury he'll be even more so. I also said he's got the edge over Scottie, who I have to say is doing a damn fine job with Harry being away, again my opinion hasn't changed there...

I also said that Peter Richards was snapping at Harry's heels for the No 9 England shirt, well Harry you haven't got to worry, for the matches he's played this season he's having a howler - I was really looking forward to seeing him play yesterday but was rather disappointed at the non-performance he put in and his substitution was no surprise.

We're looking forward to seeing you back on the pitch, so hope your near to full recovery.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Hey Nik

I think you'll find sammy will disagree with you there. He thought Richards should have been given MOTM as he thinks Richards had a great game. Strange how you two differ in opinions when you were both at the same game.

I will just say I think unless Harry starts soon then he may not get an England spot. After hearing reports over the last 2 weeks about Perry and Richards I think it could be a possibility that Harry won't even get into the England squad.

I would bet that Harry will be in the team to play Quins if he is fit, but he has a bit of catching up to do to come into contention for an England place.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

I thikn Harry is a long way off an England place at the moment. Not sure how you can say Richards had a bad game - he was awesome! Controlled Bemand throughout the match and gave a good demo on quick passing to get his backline going.
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Hi Nik/G, was watching the rugby club and a lot is being made of Perry (i think thats his name), Bristol's number 9, as him being the starting No9 or seriously in contention for England - do you think he has the edge over Harry and Peter?
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
kelso.
Tiger Cub

england 9

Post by kelso. »

i gotta say, harry is a superb player but i really think Perry HAS to be england's 1st choice - he may not have the break-neck pace of ellis or richards, but his passing is superb - so much faster than anyone else & will give hodgson bags of time, which i think is the most important thing
"in such an ugly time...the real protest is beauty"
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

got to admit I haven't looked at parry, but I sincerely did watch Richards and I don't think he was awesome at all - even some Glaws supporters around me reckon he's having a howler just lately too.

In the Toulon Match Harry was sharpe and fast and looked good, injury has kept him out but I reckon once he's back then he'll stamp his authority all over the pitch.

hi G, to be honest mate I make a point of not reading Sammy's points so I haven't got a clue what he said, sorry to say I'm not really interested.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

All I will say s I'm getting my info re Richards and Perry from watching the Rugby Club and what I've seen so far on tv. I will say that Perry and Richards are already into the groove of playing having a head start of 3 games over Harry. When Harry does start he is going to have to go some to catch those 2 up. I guess harry has a chance of making the England squad if Robinson chooses 3 SH's. If he only chooses 2 then Harry may get in on reputation or the other 2 may out do him on performances.

But for Harry to have a chance of getting into the England squad I feel he will have to start against Quins and he also needs to get some match time under his belt.

If 3 SH's are chosen for the England squad then Harry will be in there. If there are only 2 I think it will be a close call as to whether he makes it.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

SH is a real problem for England, isn't it ?

Perry would seem to have a large red 'S' on his shirt, judging by the adulation he seems to be getting elsewhere. His pass IS much quicker than Harry's (or Richards, who is just Ellis mk II and offers nothing extra IMO), but he didn't impose himself on a poor Irish team at the weekend. He also had a mad 15 minutes when his service and decision making went to pot. Irish 9 was just as good (Hodgson ?)

Perry is OK, but nowhere near as good as he's cracked up to be, IMO. All of the potential England 9s have both good and bad points, but none are as complete as, say, Dwayne Peel.

I'm not sure what OBNC wants this year - quick service (Perry), or aggression and speed (Ellis/Richards).
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

Yes paul Hodgson is the london irish 9 daily waffle :wink:

I think england needs the quick service route but In my view the best al round scrum half in the country is H ELLIS :D
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hi bt

Well, if England NEED quick service, then it isn't Harry. Perry's pass is much faster. That's not to say that Ellis is not as good, just that they are opposites. Whereas Richards offers exactly the same as Harry.

So, anyone know an English scrum half with a fast accurate pass, with scorching pace, who's abrasive and has a real talent for getting up the opposition's noses ?

Ellis scores 3 out of 4, which is more than most.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

I agree dailywaffle that H.E is not the fastest serving scrum half.
but i think he has the greatest all round package and i think he has not yet performed for england as he has for tigers but if he can then he can and SHOULD be england no 9 :)
oh and i said needs in lower case :D :wink: :D big difference :D :wink:
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Nik wrote: hi G, to be honest mate I make a point of not reading Sammy's points so I haven't got a clue what he said, sorry to say I'm not really interested.
Personal insults! How witty, mature and individual. Enjoy that higher ground Nik.

I thought, as previously stated, that Pete Richards was absolutely outstanding on saturday. He was the spark that regularly got Gloucester's backs and forwards going. Not a great passer, but a fantastic dangerous runner.

Harry hasn't a hope in hell of getting back in the England squad. I'd expect Richards, Perry, Scotty Bemand and Danny Care (if he gets a game for Quins) to be ahead in the pecking order. Hopefully Hazza will get some game time and show what he can do. On form, and injury free he's the best 9 in the country. Unfortunately we haven't seen him on form or injury free for an eternity.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

sammy

Do you really think that Bemand is a contender for England at the moment? From what I've heard from recent reports Scott hasn't been playing with the same sort of fire he had last season, and he supposedly didn't have a good game on Saturday.

Also if the reports are true I think we will be seeing Perry and Richards as Englands SH's. Care I can't comment on as I don't know much about him.

For Harry to get back as 1st choice SH he really needs to be starting on Saturday and playing a blinder as he has a lot of catching up to do.

But knowing AR even if Harry doesn't play between now and the AI then he will probably get picked as that is what AR is like.

If Harry doesn't make the England team then thats good for Tigers as it's one less player we lose to internationals.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

I think Bemand, Perry and Richards are all more in the frame than Harry unfortunately. Saying that, its not like we have quality nines coming out of the woodwork.

Scotty's done ok. Very dangerous runner, average distribution. Maybe a bench spot perhaps? Richards is the man though. I'd be very suprised if he wasn't first choice come the six nations.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I got completely fed up of Richards. And I mean that as a compliment to him.

He was all over us like a rash.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!