was he lucky or should he got red

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

apps

was he lucky or should he got red

Post by apps »

yesterday i played for oakham 2nd vs loughbrough 2nd in where one of the loughbrough lad's tackle the refree however the player who did this did it high ie grap th refree shirt collor.

i know backie got 6 months ban for pushinh a refree over so why did the player yesterday only get a yellow card.

i did speak to the player to say he was lucky to only get a yellow & he was thinking the same when he was on the side line.

so any one got any thoughs on this i do know that the refree that was ment to do this game never turn up so it was someone from oakham who plays for the club but there you go no refree no game.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

He was damn lucky, if it was a lru ref he probably would have been reported and banned.
Darrellb

Post by Darrellb »

Was it done on perpose and if so why. You said the ref was a player from your club was he being a bit one sided or was the player to blame??? why would any player tackle a ref let alone high just seems a bit daft??
"Total Rugby"
Dunks

Post by Dunks »

I also played in the game. He was not a society ref but an Oakham player who stood in at the last minute - I'm not sure of his refereeing qualifications.

The "high tackle" was not deliberate. What actually happened is that the ref was in the way at the side of a ruck. Our player asked him to step back but he either didn't hear or refused. Then in an attempt to get to the Oakham player as he picked up at the base our player barged past the ref. The ref said that the player has deliberately moved him by grabing his collar. The ref explained that he classed himself equivalent to a player and if he had been legally rucked out of the way then all would have been fine. But since the ref thought he was taken high he said he had no option but to issue a yellow card. The ref certainly didn't see the incident as a direct attack on an official (certainly that woudl deserve more than red).

At the end of the day all a bit of a misunderstanding really. The ref unfotunately got in the way of an enthusiastic open side. Perhaps if the ref considers himeslf equivalent to a player then he should have binned himself for deliberately being offside :wink:
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

If it was me i'd have smacked him back so hard he'd have had an involentry ban of 6 months..... in hospital
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Well I certainly wouldn't reccomend that as a course of action Sim.

I rather suspected the real turn of events would be nearer to the second description than the first. The referee appears to have made a meal of getting knocked or whatever as he was in the way. An over-reaction from a non-qualified ref it seems. Simple answer get out the way!!
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Agree, Iain.

I had a (somewhat) similar scenario playing a couple of years ago where the ref was stood too close to the ruck. The ball was picked up and driven on, the ref was in the way, got knocked to the ground and then got stampeded by the pack driving on. Nothing malicious, ref was just in the way. To be fair to him, he got up and said he deserved it!