Fly Half ??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fly Half ??

Post by mike »

Poor display on saturday all round but I think that the displays of goode and burke highlighted the desperate shortage of ability we have in this position . Yet again Goode did not kick vital goals ( relatively easy ones at that ) and he showed Nil attacking penetration or imagination . His decision making is becoming increasingly bizarre as well - I could not believe it when he failed to clear his line in the 2nd half and passed to Crane who had half of Gloucester waiting for him - didn't something similar happen last week . Burke's short spell was simply embarrassing to everyone present - was it really wise to put him on with 7 minutes left ?

what next ? The forwards are competitive when we put our best 8 out ( when will this happen ? ) but the backline is absolutely dreadful . Rabeni and murphy were the only backs to offer a glimmer of creativity today and it is about time that Howard started earning his money . Murphy needs to play at full back and we need Ollie and Harry back to add a bit more commitment to the backline . But most of all we need a fly half - the present incumbents of that shirt are just not good enough .
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Now Mike, you dare to criticise the MIGHTY tigers. :wink: You do know what that means don't you. You will be told you are not a true supporter for speaking out and that you have know idea what you are talking about. Be prepared to get your wrists slapped by a certain few on here.

You bad,bad man. But it's true what you say though. OOPS thats both of us in the bad books.
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

g wrote:Now Mike, you dare to criticise the MIGHTY tigers. :wink: You do know what that means don't you. You will be told you are not a true supporter for speaking out and that you have know idea what you are talking about. Be prepared to get your wrists slapped by a certain few on here.

You bad,bad man. But it's true what you say though. OOPS thats both of us in the bad books.
Difference is Mike probably went to the game.
Mountsorrel Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Mountsorrel Tiger »

OK, yesterday wasnt a good performance BUT

- Kay, L.Deacon, Moreno, Jennings and Moody are either injured or in the case of Lewis coming back from injury and therefore not totally match fit. Plus you must remember that we can't play the same pack week in week out otherwise good players will get annoyed at their lack of opportunities. Take Jordan Crane - he played week in week out at Leeds last year and has clearly accepted that he will not be first choice at Tigers, on the basis that he can take over from Corry in the long term. However if he doesnt play at all then he'll leave and there will be a similar situation to when Balding left.

Ollie will be back in the side soon - IMHO he can take as much time as he needs to get his head straight as he hasn't performed for over a year, but when he does get back to form he is an excellent player. Again, Harry is a good player but Scott is as well, would be nice to have Harry on the bench as a different option.

I've said this many times before - where is this new 10 going to come from? Goode, whether you like it or not, is third choice England 10 after Hodgson and Barkley (dont even try and suggest Wilkinson is ahead of him at the moment, as he simply hasn't played enough rugby). Quality 10's are very hard to come by - if you can suggest somebody who is avaliable, affordable and isn't classed as a foreign player please speak up.............
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Guess what OIL I didn't go to the game. And I won't be going to many if any this season. I aint got no season ticket and I work weekends. So at least I aint wasted me money.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

How is it Wasps have been successful without a top class fly half?
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

g wrote:Guess what OIL I didn't go to the game. And I won't be going to many if any this season. I aint got no season ticket and I work weekends. So at least I aint wasted me money.
So how can you give a true assessment of the game then If you dont go, you cant go slagging your players off because you saw the highlights on the news.
As you dont know what position No.6 plays it maybe an idea to do some research on rugby and the positions within the team so you can at least give constructive criticism, at the moment you just guff hot air constantly.

Hope this helps.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Do you know I always thought Sam Vesty should be playing at FH rather than FB. Didn't he used to play there? Anyone else got a view on this?
sea tiger

Post by sea tiger »

Sam Vesty did play fly - half but couldn't make progress with oz and andy goode both battling for fly-half.

He is a better fly-half than full back and up untill a couple of years ago he was still playing fly-half for the youth team.
football is holigans acting like gentlemen,
rugby leage is gentlemen actin like hooligans,
and RUGBY UNION IS HOOLIGANS ACTING LIKE HOOLIGANS!
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Murphy started as a 10 when he first came to leicester i wish he would go there again he is the only inventive player we have.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Oil

Who mentioned anything about what position a No 6 plays you stupid little twit ? I certainly didn't. I don 't need to read papers to hear how Tigers played I get my input from friends who were at these games. And why should I doubt them? These are people who have more of a brain than you ever will and who have a load more knowledge of the game than a little idiot like you will ever have.

Tigers are just carrying on from where they left off last season. Going absolutely nowhwer fast.

Oh and by the way as you don't give a flying fig about Tigers and have no :censored: interest in them and don't watch them yourself I would appreciate if you don't tell me what I should or should be saying about them. JERK.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

g, can I politely remind you not to resort to insulting on the forum please? It does absolutely nothing to strengthen your argument.

I think OiL is referring to when you asked about Farrell's position and whether blinside was 6 or 7.

And I do think he has a valid point regarding the question as to how you can pass comment on a game that you haven't actually seen. There is no way you can possibly know how the side played. I'm sure your friends are very knowledgeable, but passing off their judgement of the game ahead of actually seeing the game first hand or at the very least a professional journalist as the source of your opinion is particularly dodgy ground!
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Here we go again the moderator and his buddies closing ranks and all sticking up for each other. AHHHHH how sweet.

And yes Iain my friends can pass off information to me what they have seen at the game. It is possible to do that you know.

And as for OIL saying I need to go away and look up the game of rugby. Why do I need to do that when I have a son who plays the game and a hubby who is an RFU qualified coach. So they can feed me all the information I need on the game of rugby and I really don't need an brainless twit like OIL telling me what to do.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

OiL is not a mate of mine, I have never met him, and moreover I frequently disagree with a lot of what he says.

Nobody is saying your friends haven't passed on information to you, all I'm saying is that as the basis of your understanding of how Tigers have played this season is second hand from friends since you haven't actually seen them play this season you are probably not the best judge of how we've been playing. Yet you remain one of the most critical and outspoken people on this forum regarding how Tigers have been playing. As such, I (and I suspect most others) tend to take much of your comments on this season with a generous pinch of salt.
kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

Just to drag this thread back on track on, I didn't see the game either, but as a long standing (constructive) critic of Goode, I have said before a number of times on this forum that he can't open up a defence to save his life, his show and go is so slow it's unbelievable, but he's got a boot on him and in the GP, that's probably the most you could get.

Can we get a 10 who's really good and qualifies as a domestic player? No, unfortunately it doesn't, but that's no reason not to underline Goode's shortcomings.

As for why Wasps play well without a super flyhalf, the short answer would be a well drilled team that don't give away penalties like they're going out of fashion and most importantly, a strong centre pairing.

Without Gibbo on the pitch, our backs are flat and useless. We rely on size and Murphy's innate creativity. That's not enough. Pray to God that we sign Mauger as was speculated, because this is likely to be Gibbo's last season judging by his age.

Also, can we please not become a team whose supporters justify losses by quoting the injury list? It's silly and means nothing, if we lost the premierhsip final with 15 injured players unavailable for selection, we'd still have lost, and losing is what will be remembered.

Finally, when did this forum erupt into sniping? It's distasteful and I would ask everyone to stop because it's very unattractive to potential posters and I for one feel that there has been a big drop in the quality and quantity of genuine rugby related chat over this time last season.