Michael Holford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

You've brought up some good points however I have to say that from the middle of last season to date Cabbage is on form and deserves his place in the first 15 - his line outs are 99.9% and I believe he's playing better than George - that's what I've seen and my belief is that he is the on-form hooker - now when he steps on the pitch we start scoring. Look and see for yourself.

Did I say Burke should be selected over Goode, what I said is why hasn't he even been on the bench, yes I did see him for only 30 mins, but he did more in that 30 mins than Goodey has in a long time. It was however, good to see a little of the spark back in Goode at the weekend but no doubt Burke is now snapping at his backside so Goodey's obviously starting to feel the pressure of someone competing for his shirt, I reckon that's healthy for him because now it'll push him and we'll see the old goodey back.

You talk about Moreno, I love the guy, nice guy but he was good for how many games? how can you say because he's now match fit he's top of the pecking order? and when has Ayerza had chance to gel with the team, he didn't know his backside from his elbow on Saturday.

Holford well he's a talent, you all take the pee out of me but he's a talent and I'll tell you all something now, he'll be better than your moreno's and Ayerza's. One other thing I've harped on about that is the Holford/Castro partnership, watch and then tell me i was right.

Ellis/Bemand as you say both excellent scrum halfs but our Harry's got the edge on Scotty - I will say it again Harry will not be bullied round the pitch at all, Scotty well he doesn't make his mark with his opposing SH. Harry was looking really sharp in the friendly, remember Harry's got SH's like Richard's snapping at his heels for the national 9 shirt, you watch we haven't seen the best of Harry yet and I'm sure we're going to see some of his magic this year.

This is my opinion, I'm a woman I like being right all the time but I'm sorry to say I don't get it right all the time :cry: but of the above i'm sure :lol:. I'll respect what you say Iain but I don't agree with it all, that's what it's all about.

Oh and you haven't convinced me on the favouritism either, we'll wait and see what the team selection over the next few weeks will be like, I only hope the subs aren't having as much business as Li Lo Lil!!
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Rugby1

Post by Rugby1 »

Sorry didn't look up for a while and then saw it and didn't want to retype. Not shouting at all, no offence meant.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

welcome rugby1, Holford is recovering from injury and I really don't think he should have been playing a couple of weeks ago, so I believe he may have been reluctant to irritate his injury..........
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Isn't Hickie a number 2 as well? So we also have Chuter, Cabbage and Hickie all trying to make the 2 shirt his own. Really wonder if Hickie will get his chance this season. With Chuter away with England ( if he gets called up) then the best Hickie can hope for is a bench spot as Buckland will be 1st choice ahead of him.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Thats the nature of the front row I'm afraid g. Such are the physical demands of those players, and the back up we are legally obliged to have available, you really have to have three players for each position. Thus nine players competing for three spots. There always has to be someone who is happy to wait his turn and fight for his place. I can't imagine that Hickie wasn't aware of this when he joined us, but that said, if he plays like he did in the developments last week he'll give Pat a few headaches.

Back to the favouritism issue, what I was doing with that long post that really ought to have bored most people to tears was just try and understand what the rationale for the team selections in question probably was. In professional sport with so much at stake I find it impossible to accept that players are picked because the coach has "favourites". I rather think the opposite with Pat, he has had a great record of blooding players if he thinks they are ready, meaning nobody's place is safe. Think Bemand, Vesty, Varndell, Croft to name a few, none of whom had appeared much before Pat took over.
But some fair points in your post Nik, I hear what you say.
TerraceJoe

Post by TerraceJoe »

I like Holford. He shows so much enthusiasm on the pitch, will chase everything, is like an extra back rower in attack and is clearly proud to play for the club.

But dammit, and I wish it weren't true, his scrummaging is weak and doesn't befit that of a Premiership prop. If he doesn't make the step up I fear he might be allowed to leave.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Rugby1 wrote:Sorry didn't look up for a while and then saw it and didn't want to retype. Not shouting at all, no offence meant.
no problem mate, just pointing it out cos I find it hard to read all caps :) welcome to the board anyway
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Nik wrote:welcome rugby1, Holford is recovering from injury and I really don't think he should have been playing a couple of weeks ago, so I believe he may have been reluctant to irritate his injury..........
I agree. I was surprised to see him back so early.

I presume that's why he had a bit of extra timber on him too, his injury kept him out of an awful lot of training.

We'll see him back to his old fitness and hungry as ever and then people can assess how he's progressed.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

I know this might be a stupid question but why do we always have a debate about mike holford? :? surely we should be debating about our team at present, not players who are injured or just coming back from injury, lets talk about how we will win at the weekend :lol:
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

We can debate all we like. The only way we can affect the result is to shout our heads off. :D
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

well would it be such a big debate if it was another players mother on the forum, would you all back Lloydy up who is a first team player NOOOOOOOOOO
but because Mike Holfords mum comes on here, you all feel like you have to back him up. Well i'm sorry to burst your bubble but he is only an average player, hopefully he will get better
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

tigerman wrote:I know this might be a stupid question but why do we always have a debate about mike holford? :?
Well, you already know part of the answer !

It is quite funny that, with all due respect to MH, one of the lower profile players on the park has such a high profile on the forum; I am sure Andy Goode wishes he could command the same level of support :wink:

But the regular Holford posts have, and do, highlight the debate about what is 'acceptable' and what is 'not acceptable' when posting on a fan's forum. I have never had a problem with constructive criticism of professional players, but do have a problem with personal abuse. Holford, by and large, gets a pretty good press on here .... some others do not.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

i also go on about Harry/Cabbage/Dec's x 2/stuck up for Lloyd (don't faint), Johnno/ etc etc etc bubble still in tact i'm afraid, it's so s.o.d all to do with KH and her infrequent visits to the forum and I didn't start this thread either haha

plus the fact i said a lot about him before I knew his mother!! now my bubble is bigger and stronger haha :lol:
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Ditto.

The reason this thread is here is because Chobbsy started it and entitled it Michael Holford.

In what way did his mother influence that?

It's symptomatic of this site that people get upset because a Tigers player is getting a lot of SUPPORT.

Grow up.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Kin

Please don't ask me to grow up.

Nothing wrong with supporting a player. Also, nothing wrong with observing that a relatively low profile player has a very high profile on here.