Players Who Shook the Crumbie #52: Matt Hampson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Players Who Shook the Crumbie #52: Matt Hampson

Post by Iain »

I felt it fitting that this long running feature ended with the man for whom this feature will be turned into a booklet in aid of.
Matt joined Tigers as a young prop and by all accounts was showing bags of promise, and already forced his way into the England under 21s squad. Hopes were high for a strong scrummager and ball carrier.
Tragically, an incident in a live scrummaging session while training with England under 21s was to change his life and leave the rugby world feeling cold. A scrum collapsed, leaving Matt with a serious neck injury.
As to why it is appropriate for Matt to appear in this feature, I said from the outset that this feature wasn't necessarily for "the greatest" players ever, but for those who have made the biggest impact. Matt's plight shook us all to the bone, but his rehabilitation and outlook on life has truly been an inspiration to us all. It would be so easy in a situation like his to have folded, to accept a hopeless life in a wheelchair and remain miserable and to curse life itself. Not Matt. Whenever he is able to make a public appearance it is his beaming smile and philosophical take on his own situation that is always noticable.
He has made us all appreciate the quality of life we have, and realise that our day to day problems are insignificant. He has inspired us to be better people, with stories of all sorts of fundraising from supporters off their own back to help him in life. And he has taught us that whatever life throws at us, a smile is the best remedy.
The day Matt was brought on to the pitch at half time in his wheelchair brought about the most emotional and prolonged standing ovation Welford Road has ever seen. He now remains an avid Tigers fan, his love of the sport that caused his ailment undiminished.
I recently met a man whose son had suffered a serious spinal injury and was in the same ward at Stoke Mandeville as Matt. When on the ward he spoke to Matt and explained his son had just been admitted to the hospital. "I know" said Matt. "I'm just on my way to see how he is coping".
Clearly an inspirational young man with a great heart.

And there ends this feature, hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

How terrific of you to conclude the series with Hambo....a lovely thought, Iain.

From hearing other players and coaches speak about Matt, it seems clear he would have made it to the top, an impact player in every sense of the word. The world of English rugby lost the chance for a great upcoming talent - yet in his own way, Matt is maybe more of an inspiration and example to players and fans alike now.

Never losing his sense of humour, his compassion and his love of rugby, he's just a heck of a guy - I always look towards the clubhouse at home games to see if I can spot him there ( he was for the Sale game) and no doubt he has his own pithy comments to make afterwards.

There have been some magnificent players listed and discussed in this series, some older and some current, the legends of Leicester Tigers - but Matt Hampson is and always will be at the heart of this club and the fans.

----------------

Thank you, Iain, and everyone who contributed - I look forward to buying lots of copies of this booklet when it comes out.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Cracking way to finish the series, Iain - well done!
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Iain,

Top series, fantastic way to finish it. Looking forward to the booklet and not wishing to hassle you and those compiling it is there a timescale for it's release?

(The ovation at the LI game was stunning, I think every single person was on their feet, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear or two - only down side was I couldn't hear a word Matt said due to the PA)
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

agree with all earlier comments brilliant idea for this feature in the first place and a great way to finsh well done iain!
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Fantastic effort throughout Iain, and what a fabulous way to end the series. Congratulations.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

what a wonderfully written piece, Iain. encapsulates superbly everything we all think about Hambo.

great series and I look forward to buying the book!
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Matt is a true inspiration and well done Iain for a cracking series. I too was at the LI game and it brought tears to my eyes. Also went to the the Northampton game away where PW was given a sizeable cheque for the MHT and that too was a very special moment nd what makes rugby such a unique sport. I am truly proud to be associated with such passionate fans.
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

SPIKE@srufc wrote:Iain,

Top series, fantastic way to finish it. Looking forward to the booklet and not wishing to hassle you and those compiling it is there a timescale for it's release?

(The ovation at the LI game was stunning, I think every single person was on their feet, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear or two - only down side was I couldn't hear a word Matt said due to the PA)
I don't have a timescale, but I'm putting it together as fast as I can, and need to speak to the club about photos