Which centre?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Which centre?

Post by sammy »

A pleasant post this, as I reckon a crippling weakness of last season is about to be turned into an emphatic strength. Im talking about the centres.

A revitalised Gibbo should always get the 12 nod, he was solid on saturday. Who do you partner him with though? The ever improving Matt Cornwell? Dan 'my god he'll come good this season' Hipkiss? A revitalised Olly Smith? Leon Lloyd (who in my opinion is no longer worthy of a starting berth)? Seru who looked tremendous on saturday or even young Matt Smith?

It could be an exciting season for the backs.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

excellent point

Gibbo at 12 (a no brainer) with Seru as his back up

and at 13 this would be my order - Seru (again) , Ollie ( hopefully rejuvinated), Cornwall, Hipkiss

Leon is a winger and could get a start ahead of Varndell if the latter cannot improve his defensive work
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Pretty much agree with the Gibbo and Seru combination. A lot rests on young Ollie's shoulders; we all want him to show 'come good' this year. Fingers crossed !
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Gibbo and Seru but I must say, I was very impressed woth Matt Cornwell yesterday. For a relatively small guy (compared to others), he was running through tackles and stayed on his feet well IMO.
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I would go for Gibo and either Matt Cornwall or Ollie Smith . Seru and Geordan on the wings where they can counter attack and come into the line in all sorts of different places.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Leon played exceptionally well at the development game tonight.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I would like to see Pat develop his outside centres to do alternative lines of running off Gibbo. If Gibbo stays fit the world is but our oyster - an in form Ollie plus Gibbo could put our wings into the wide open spaces!!!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Completely agree Bill !!
Less is more....
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

If all our centres stay fit, they won't get enough game time to keep them happy. I can see one or two perhaps looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Very impressed with Gibbo and Cornwell on Sunday.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I agree with most things on this thread except for the continued worrying over Varndell's defensive "weakness".

He is, by popular opinion, likely to be the Premiership's top try scorer this year. (If we play him, of course.)

As a unit, Tigers prevented Sale from doing a lot of what they wanted to do on Sunday, restricting them to two tries when they would definitely have scored more against other defences. And I don't recall Varndell being at fault for either try.

Mine is only one opinion amongst thousands, but I would start him every time. No question.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Gonzo wrote:If all our centres stay fit, they won't get enough game time to keep them happy. I can see one or two perhaps looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Very impressed with Gibbo and Cornwell on Sunday.
I would be amazed if this is true......think of injuries / call ups / the fact that we will always need to make substitutions etc.....
Less is more....
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Bunchy, I really hope you're right. I don't want to see any of them leave. I just think there are a lot of guys there, all of whom will want first team rugby and are talented enough to deserve it. Of course, if they want to play for a club as big as Leicester, they will have to stay patient. I just hope they do.
quincy

Post by quincy »

Gibson is the clubs number one centre and possibly the only true inside centre who will be difficult to replace. His signing was a very astute move by the club and I hope their next will be as good.
Outside centre has a number plying for the berth. Olly is first choice with leon. Matt and dan are both promising players, but must soon learn that they are part of a team and passing the ball is just as important as trying to just run at the opposition. I am sure that this will come.
Pat looks as though he wants us to play a 15 man game. Therefore these players must learn not to be blinkered when they have the ball in hand.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I think it should always be Gibson and Ollie just as long as Ollie can get his form back to how it was a couple of seasons ago when he broke into the England set up.

Failing that Cornwell was good alongside Gibbo on Saturday so if Ollie isn't back to tip top form then start with Cornwell. I am not convinced about Hipkiss I need to see him play more this season before I decide. He really must play as a team player this season.

Not sure where Seru should play but as Varndell is hopelessly weak defensively I'd play Seru on the wing with Geordan on the other wing. I really hope Varndell can get his defence sorted out otherwise I think he will not go very far with club or country.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Kinoulton wrote:I agree with most things on this thread except for the continued worrying over Varndell's defensive "weakness".

He is, by popular opinion, likely to be the Premiership's top try scorer this year. (If we play him, of course.)

As a unit, Tigers prevented Sale from doing a lot of what they wanted to do on Sunday, restricting them to two tries when they would definitely have scored more against other defences. And I don't recall Varndell being at fault for either try.

Mine is only one opinion amongst thousands, but I would start him every time. No question.
I've got to agree with that Kinoulton. Varndell creates a lot more tries for Tigers than the possible misses he makes through relatively weak defence. I don't think his defence is THAT bad... he just needs to get stuck in more and learn some defensive tactics. Tigers or England dropping him would be IMHO a huge mistake. He needs game time and defensive coaching. He easily has the potential to be the best winger in the world. IHMO.

As for centres... I would like to see Gibbo and Ollie (in form). Failing Ollie in form, Leon. However, for the "easier" games, Gibbo, Ollie and Leon should be rested and Cornwell and Hipkiss should be given game time and an order to pass. "Blinkers" are definately Hipkiss' problem. As a first choice, I would play Vardell and Seru on the wing and Geordie at full back. For the "easier" games, maybe try Hipkiss on the wing? I think Vesty is a very very good player, but not in Georgie's league, and Varndell and Seru make pretty much perfect wingers. IMHO.