HARRY??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

quincy

Post by quincy »

I take it that all the pundits who criticise various players, speak with knowledge gained from either playing or coaching at the highest level.
I think these players do what they do in the way that they do it because they are the best players around.
The best thing about some positions in the club at the moment is that there is competition. This is good for the club. Also the season is long and hard and therefore it is a bonus to be able to rest players knowing that the replacement is probably just as good.
Team selection I believe is based on horses for courses. An open game calls for a different selection than a really physical game when someone who can tackle might be more important than one who cant.
Comments, we know, are just a matter of opinion. Some are just and some are plain laughable - but then again these come from those who think they know what they are talking about but know very little. Just listen to some of the rubbish comments made during match days!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

quincy wrote:I take it that all the pundits who criticise various players, speak with knowledge gained from either playing or coaching at the highest level.
!
Unlikely!!!
quincy

Post by quincy »

Thanks Bill. You read my thoughts!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They were pretty well semaphored!

Trouble is though, that sometimes, well quite often, well at least occasionally - the "mindless" crticism masks a "truth".

"They pick the ball up, take two or three steps, then pass it" - why do scrum halves do it? Why not pick it up and pass it in one movement - gives the fly half at least an extra 3 yards. Now, my understanding, from hearsay evidence, is that it is because the (old) England coaching set up told them to,

And btw I have neither played or coached at Senior Level. Uni 2nd team, CLub 1st Team was the height of my playing career. And only coached kids.
DTM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by DTM »

I take the previous comments on board, but must disagree with a few - In the game versus Sale, Bemand got snagged a few times by the opposition and was generally slow to get the ball from the rucks / mauls / scrums.......granted he was quite spritely with the ball in hand, but Harry doesn't get snagged like that!
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Totally agree with g.

As far as I can see the comments made suggest that we have a very good scrum half in Bemand and that Ellis, however good/bad people perceive him to be, is not as good at the moment.

qunicy, while I agree with some of your comments (competition for places, for example) I think that your argument about comments made coming from people who have either coached or played at the highest level is somewhat flawed. You don't need to have accomplished either to be able to read the game of rugby and make informed comments on it. Likewise, playing and coaching at the highest level does not necessarily make for a good rugby brain. 2 words - Andy Robinson!
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

When is Ellis expected to be back?
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

"England scrum-half Harry Ellis will have to wait a little longer for his first game of the season. “He has had a hamstring injury and we are being cautious with him,” said Howard. "

that's all the update says.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother