Post by wzevon »

What happened to Harry Ellis?
Or was it a tactical change?!
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Hamstring I believe but not 100%
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
randomlaughter

Post by randomlaughter »

I think someone made him get the beers in and he just got stuck in the terrace - saw him walking through with a trayful of pints before the match and figured the matchlist was wrong...!
lorraine pj
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by lorraine pj »

Harry pulled out with hamstring playing up.According to sky yesterday.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

pulled a hamstring in training on friday I read

No great loss though - Scotty played a blinder - the one error I thought he had made - TV replay showed Lund stuck a boot in just as he was about to pass out from the 5 metre scrum just prior to half time and therefore not his error.

in hindsight maybe a chip on after his great break would have given Varndell a better chance to score but we're nit picking now
TigerScrums
Gold Member
Gold Member
Location: Staffordshire - Or more favourably half way up the Crumbie Terrace behind the Tigers bench!!

Post by TigerScrums »

Pulled a hamstring??

Or just wanted to watch a good game of rugby and have a pint with his Dad??

He got both anyway.

Thank god for rugby.

Could never see a high profile international footballer mixing with the poor people!!

I did see Kevin Phillips (whoever he plays for these days) in Tamworth Sainsburys at about 2pm today though!
Come on Tigers!!!
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

TigerScrums wrote:Pulled a hamstring??

Or just wanted to watch a good game of rugby and have a pint with his Dad??

He got both anyway.

Thank god for rugby.

Could never see a high profile international footballer mixing with the poor people!!

I did see Kevin Phillips (whoever he plays for these days) in Tamworth Sainsburys at about 2pm today though!
At Glaws pre-season with Sarries, Ryan Lamb and Brad Davies walked right past us.
And the minute I got to the bar, Tins and Zara Phillips came past. Gutted I missed Zara.
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
Kirstyf
Tiger Cub

Post by Kirstyf »

Saw Harry with his Dad and several mates in the pub before the game - they said he was injured but weren't too specific about the details so I expect the hamstring report is probably accurate.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Yes Scotty did play a blinder just as he always does. But the poor bloke will get dropped once Harry is fit again. I think a player should be in the team on merit and not dropped just as soon as the regular 9 is fit again. Let Harry work for his place don't just give it to him on a plate otherwise it will make him complacent.

It will be interesting to see if Scott keeps his place against Bath.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

g - totally agree. Ellis should have to work for his place, but I can see Bemand being dropped when Ellis is fit again. Ellis hasn't improved in a few seasons now and making him sit on the bench for a while might give him the kick up the :censored: he needs to improve his game a bit
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

No great loss though - Scotty played a blinder
He played more like a blind man! mightymouse, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, unfortunately, on this occasion, yours is wrong.

When I was watching the game, I thought Dawson had signed for us!!! Scott was doing the Dawson waltz at the back of the rucks, 3 steps then pass. You every worked out how much space a defense makes up when a scrum half takes 3 steps sideways? (have a try with some friends, you'll be amazed)

It was testiment to 'Scottys' game that when Rabeni came on, he started to exploit the holes around the rucks that Scott hadn't for the previous 60 minutes.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Adamv6

Watch Ellis when he's at 9. He takes a couple of steps before he passes. It's not just a one off with Harry he does it all the time. Also Scotts pass out is a lot quicker than Harrys.

You could read a book from start to finish before Harry passes out of the scrum.

Both players are good in their own right, but I think Scott slightly edges it between the 2. Also Harry hasn't improved that much over the last few seasons to make him exceptional. If he had he would have become Englands regular 9, as it is he is now meeting his match for the England shirt with other 9's who are now starting to overtake him for the regular England spot.
pebble
Top Cat
Top Cat

As Post

Post by pebble »

I guess Ellis is injured. He played in the friendly and scored a couple of good tries. We really haven't seen him this season in action, so how can we judge?
I made a similar observation on this site lasrt season. We computer and terrace pundits attack our own players, this particular thread has become somewhat venomous against Ellis, with no foundation. STOP IT, there are plenty of others ready to knock our players. Constructive criticism yes, but not like this.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

The Website says he is injured. Hamstring.

With regard to the critism I think it is fair to say that the "two steps and pass" syndrome has crept into many scrum halves play. In Harry's case I believe it was coached into him by the England coaches.

Whatever happenned to the pass starting when the ball was still on the ground?
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Pebble

Cannot see at this moment in time who is criticising the players. If you have read these posts you'll find that these are observations about certain players and how they perform. Well thats how I see it anyway.