Dean Richards

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ancientmariner

Dean Richards

Post by ancientmariner »

Some very bitter quotes by Dean Richards reported in the national press on Saturday:-
"At Leicester we were narrow in views and opinions. The friendly, family atmosphere at Harlequins is far better than anything Leicester has to offer. The last two years have been the best of my life".
Richards gave a great deal to Tigers, but Tigers also gave a great deal to him. I know he fell out with the board, but I find these comments about the club in general very disappointing.
AM
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

shame really, because he could have kept his mouth shut and a bit of dignity, but these things just come out don't they in the heat of the moment !! Should still get a good reception when he comes to WR.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Why should he gloss over the cracks? If that is how things were for him then let him say so. There is too much of this ' Lets not say this cos" PC factor in all walks of life - just say it. A spade is a spade in my book!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Last two years comprise a year brushing up his ski-ing and a year at the helm of a Premiership team in ND1 winning everything at a canter. I'm not surprised he's enjoyed them. :wink:
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Its called sportsmanship! You can derail any press train with a worthy quote. Quinns in the top 9 at the end - Not in my book but Deano could talk anything round.
spud boy

Post by spud boy »

perhaps someone could correct me but wasnt he born and bread in leicestershire and was a policeman in liecestershire so obviously he has no loyalty to leicester tigers or the leicestershire people who have supported him over the years i feel as though this is a kick in the teeth.........im very surprised at his attack on tigers and its family of supporters im very dissapionted in him :cry:
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

Why can't we allow him to speak his mind, i think well done Deano for doing just that, in mho he was made a scape goat & he is still not happy about it
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Strikes me that Deano was a large part of Tigers for many years and whilst he was top of the pile and making a name for himself everything was fine. Only when it went pear-shaped for him he dislikes the club.

Sure, none of us know what went on and who, if any one person, was to blame, but it just seems a bit childish to slag something off that he was involved in at a very high level and yet take advantage of the reputation he gained whilst here. I still think his attitude over the naming of 'Deano's Bar' speakes volumes about where the fans fit in.

Hrrrummpphhhhhhh.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

Deano I believe was talking about the board. At that time if you remember we losing more than we won and even on here fans were calling for his head.

He is entitled to his opinion and to be honest I will stand by him no matter what. His last couple of years at Tigers were not happy and he will hold that memory closer than the championship winning ones, its not the man its human nature....
steadysteve
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by steadysteve »

Deano diminishes himself by using an interview about his current job to have a cheap jibe at Tigers.
Perhaps it illustrates why he got the chop!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I have little doubt that Deano's comments were heavily editted by the Press.

More significant, I think, is that he, John Wells and Sir Clive were offered Vice Presidencies of the CLub and that Sir Clive accepted whereas Deano and John felt it would be innappropriate "at this time" bearing in mind their current employment.

Deano is currently a Sequin. His loyaties must be to Sequins. Later perhaps ............
fatbast

Post by fatbast »

Let the man talk, as someone else has already mentioned i'd wager that his comments have been twisted a tad by the press boys but even if he said those things so what? Deano is a legend and rightly so imo, he deserves a huge ovation on his return and will no doubt get it too, besides...we've got the much anticipated return of Joe 'Leicester Slums' Worsley to look forward to this season....mwoh hahaha!
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

don't be too hasty to judge - the media are masterful at taking a few lines here and there and re-hashing them to make an inflammatory quote - we don't know that's what he actually said in that context, so I'd think it better to take such "jibes" with a large pinch of salt.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmo »

I'll welcome him back when Quins come to Leicester in March.....

His departure was unpleasant and we may never know all of what went on but lets not forget, we had a lot of good years with him as both a player and Head Coach.
Simmo
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

The crowd should sing, at the tops of their voices -

"Deano""Deano""Deano""Deano""Deano""Deano"

And let him know where he stands in our affections.