Gold Member

Uncontested scrums - again

Post by Bunchy »

Less is more....
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

if we ban contested scrum we may as well loose scrum altogether. scrums in RL are the funniest things ever. please don't turn RU into a comedy show.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

the mention of £6-8 m care costs is telling to me - the premiums needed to cover that kind of liability would be pretty high, and i suspect clubs are not keen to pay those - possibly not even particularly able in the lower leagues.

i am pro-scrum (properly managed and reffed) but have a nasty feeling we are being softened up for bad news on this one :evil:
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

i can sort of agree at the lower levels of rugby but then again if the guys don't learn to scrum properly at the lower levels etc how will the know if they make it to the upper levels...

the comment in there about all scrums are are a way to restart the game is borrocks... there is and can be so much won or lost in a scrum.... tactically they are as important as a kicker or good lineouts...

so my answer is no no no
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
steve424

Post by steve424 »

I have 2 disagree with uncontested scrums!

Being a prop myslef i no that when u go into the scrum properly it is harmless n amazin fun! U only get injurries were players dont do in properly!
Bruce Hornby-Trainset

Uncontested Scrums

Post by Bruce Hornby-Trainset »

Who picks up the bill for all the redundant props? This would be no joke. If you have no need for players of this particular physique, you may as well play more speed merchants in the front row. Contested scrums add to the inclusiveness of rugby - especially at the junior level. Lose them and all the 10-year old podgy lads and lasses will have one less sport to play. And that would be unforgiveable.
This year I'm on the Whisky diet. It really works - last week I lost three days!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

No no no no and no again! Do NOT get rid of one of this great sports key elements! Lose the scrum and ruin the game, thats the choice.
steve424

Post by steve424 »

If we get rid of contested scrumin wot will be next 2 go? Lineouts? just as many people get injured in them at school and club level i find!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Real scrummaging is one of the differences why rugby is different to wendyball / netball. They will not bring in uncontested scrums and continue to get the same support for rugby. Rugby is a hard game and not a wussy's game like wendyball. And long may it stay that way.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I wonder how much this has to do with a sudden awakening (following Matt Hampson who is mentioned in the article) that they are responsible for players wellfare - you can imagine the bean counters at HQ finding this thought very frightening indeed and will react to protect their purses NOT the players or the game !! :x
Less is more....
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

But Bunchy, Matt Hampson is (I seem to remember) on record saying that he wants rugby to stay as it is. Risks are involved etc...
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

One day some idiot will remove punching from boxing.
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

steve424 wrote:I have 2 disagree with uncontested scrums!

Being a prop myslef i no that when u go into the scrum properly it is harmless n amazin fun! U only get injurries were players dont do in properly!
Professional athletes get serious injuries all the time - even when they
'do it properly' - Matt Hampson was a pro for Leicester and he is proof that no matter
how experienced or professional you are - freak accidents happen.
The scrum is not 'harmless'.

I wouldn't like to see the scrum going from RU at all, but it has to be taken into account that if a players career and health is at risk it should be looked in to,
whether us fans like it or not.
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Pellsey - I agree mate. Just displaying a cynical view as always when discussing the RFU
Less is more....
Tigers rock
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tigers rock »

I personnel do not think that all scrums should be turned into uncontested scrums because they are a waste of time. I feel so sorry for matt hampson and his family but how many players have you seen get injured by scrums. Matt was really unfortunate but everybody is sticking with him and helping him as much as we can.