Comedy spoof by a Leinster fan: #50 Emmett Farrell

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lansdowne RFC
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Comedy spoof by a Leinster fan: #50 Emmett Farrell

Post by Lansdowne RFC »

Visiting sides rarely leave Welford Road with a victory in Europe, but when they do, they tend to sneak home by only a handful of points. However, on Saturday 15th January 2000, coach Mike Ruddock took his unfancied Leinster team to the English Midlands for a Pool 1 encounter. The men from Dublin 4 returned home with a stunning 32-10 win, with tries from Bob Casey and John McWeeney. Fly-half Emmett Farrell knocked over the two conversions, added five penalites, and then put the gloss on a wonderful personal, and team performance, with a raking drop goal that sent the 12,458 home fans into shock and awe. Playing opposite the young Andy Goode, Farrell had one of his most effective performances in a Leinster jersey. Farrell is now Technical Analyist for Leinster Rugby, while Goode is an England out-half....

But, the former Blackrock number 10 will never forget the day in 2000, when he shook the Crumbie.
Jesus said to John, "come forth and I'll give you a eternal life". John came fifth and won a toaster
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

I remember that game.

Tigers were already out of the Heineken Cup and so fielded a largely weakened side as a win wouldn't have made any difference to their season.

Leinster tried their hardest & still only managed a 22 point victory, despite Leicester's first choice kicker not even starting the match & Martin Johnson not even being named in the matchday 22!

Not so much "shook the Crumbie" as "caused a minor ripple in the A&L"
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Ah let him have his fun Dave Angel, it almost makes up for the mauling they took in the Quarter Final the following season en route to us winning it. Nearest they've ever had to Heineken Cup glory :lol:
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Not forgetting too that mauling at Lansdowne in April 2005 although we didn't win the Cup then!
Lansdowne RFC
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lansdowne RFC »

Haha can't believe you edited the title of the post..... I thought it was rather appropriate.....

And in fairness, we didn't exactly have a full strenght team out either.... Stuart Forster played his third (and last ever match) in a Leinster jersey, so he could hardly have been classed as a stalwart. Declan O'Brien was in for Trevor Brennan, and Gary Halpin for Peter Coyle.

Ah the mauling in January 2002? 29-18 is hardly a major bashing now. Although that match will always be remembered because we just couldn't handle you'r driving maul, think Back scored a brace that day; and our half was standing on one leg for whole time he was on. It got so ridiculous at times, that Brian O'D and even Adam Magro had to slot in at 10 because Matty Williams wouldn't play Christian Warner.

The thrashing of 2005? Yeah, no comment! hehe..... It made Deccie Kidney a very popular man in Dublin
Jesus said to John, "come forth and I'll give you a eternal life". John came fifth and won a toaster
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

winning the heineken cup made declan kidney a very popular man down south! and making leinster lose it made him a legend!
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Dave Angel wrote:I remember that game.

Tigers were already out of the Heineken Cup and so fielded a largely weakened side as a win wouldn't have made any difference to their season.

Leinster tried their hardest & still only managed a 22 point victory, despite Leicester's first choice kicker not even starting the match & Martin Johnson not even being named in the matchday 22!

Not so much "shook the Crumbie" as "caused a minor ripple in the A&L"
But isn't Welford Road a fortress. Thats what I keep getting told. :lol: Seems its only a fortress in the Heiny till the Irish teams arrive. :wink:
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

i think there are 2 meanings for fortress in the dictionary. the one that relates to thomond (correct meaning) and the ine that relates to welford road (wrong!)

European Champions 2006!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

stevetelcom2000 wrote: But isn't Welford Road a fortress. Thats what I keep getting told. :lol: Seems its only a fortress in the Heiny till the Irish teams arrive. :wink:

Welford Road is a fortress for the league and less so for the Heineken Cup.

Thomond Park is a fortress for the Heineken Cup but less so for the League it seems.

Glasgow Warriors?!? If you're going to get beaten by someone at your "fortress", at least make sure its someone even half-decent, not a bunch of Scots who finished bottom of the table with only 3 wins! :lol:
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

a but like the other threads are saying..... the league is worth nothing!

European Champions 2006!
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Dave Angel wrote:
stevetelcom2000 wrote: But isn't Welford Road a fortress. Thats what I keep getting told. :lol: Seems its only a fortress in the Heiny till the Irish teams arrive. :wink:

Welford Road is a fortress for the league and less so for the Heineken Cup.

Thomond Park is a fortress for the Heineken Cup but less so for the League it seems.

Glasgow Warriors?!? If you're going to get beaten by someone at your "fortress", at least make sure its someone even half-decent, not a bunch of Scots who finished bottom of the table with only 3 wins! :lol:
I never called TP a fortress. I never would. Its just a rugby ground that Munster play some of their games at. True we have never lost an ERC game there. But all this talk of fortress's is rubbish. The 1st 4 games I seen at Welford/Aylestone Rd they got beat. And when we played you in the 1/4 final we out sang, outdrank, and outplayed you. Mind you I manage the 1st 2 on me own usually. :lol: